'16 Highlander vs. new Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Highlander appeals more to me than the Pilot from a styling perspective, but the Pilot appeals more to me from a mechanical perspective. I own two Honda V-6s engines. The timing belt job and valve adjustment job due every 100k miles takes a Saturday in the garage. Every 100,000 miles. I can handle that. To me, this is a non-issue. If you won't do this work yourself, you will have to factor that in to the cost of ownership. I owned a 2011 Camry, and it seems that they went out of their way to keep a DIYer from maintaining that car. The bit about the special tooling required to check the fluid level in the transmission is an excellent example of that. I prefer designs that are easier for me to maintain myself.

What bothers me the most about the Pilot is the unknown of the VCM. My folks have a mechanically similar 2014 MDX. The direct injection and VCM and engine mounts all seem fine so far, with 50k highway miles on it (and the highway miles are supposed to be the worst for this design). That SUV really hauls, and the SW-AWD is simply fantastic. The Highlander won't hold a candle to the Pilot (with its similar-to-Acura iVTM-4) in terms of handling if you're looking at AWD models.

Have you looked also at the GM Lambda vehicles (Chevy Traverse, etc), the Ford Explorer, or the Dodge Durango? Those all have three rows as well I believe. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is two rows only.

If you have stroller age kids, I second (or third, or fourth, ...) the notion to look at a van. We really enjoy our 3-row MDX (after owning two minivans), but you cannot get a stroller behind our third row. There's room for suitcases, but not one of these big modern strollers. You could get a few umbrella strollers back there, though. Fortunately, we got our MDX after our kids were out of the large strollers, so it works for us. If you just don't like the styling of the vans, however, then that's fine. You really don't give up much in the way of fuel economy with a modern SUV if comparing like drivetrains:

2016 Pilot: 19/27
2016 Odyssey: 19/28

2016 Highlander: 19/25
2015 Sienna: 18/25

As you can see, the fuel economy numbers are nearly identical between FWD SUV and FWD minivan. And the AWD models don't suffer too much. In fact, they return better economy than the only AWD minivan offering out there:

2016 Pilot iVTM: 18/26
2016 Highlander AWD: 18/24
2015 Sienna AWD: 16/23

The takeaway to me: confidently buy what you like. The small difference in rated fuel economy, in my opinion, is not enough to lose sleep over.

Let me try to reply to the comments offered.

Don't assume that I don't want a minivan b/c I'm insecure as that's not true. Wife didn't like them either. We took all 3 car seats with us to play around the Odyssey & Sienna for a couple hours & then drove one in the morning & the other after lunch. Yep, noticed that SUVs mpg were very close to the minivan.

Styling is so subjective not really much point in discussing online.

So, the 2GR engine in the Highlander is not direct injection right? Some applications of it are GDI I thought.

Neither vehicle has a transmission dipstick so both will have some special procedure and/or tools required. I had already looked up the transmission fluid change-out procedure, & it doesn't appear that the Highlander requires any special tools. Highlander Transmission Fluid Change

We rarely use a stroller but we took it (Peg Perego Pliko Switch so not umbrella) as well during our test drives. It fits in both SUVs.

Reliability isn't exact, of course, but is a useful predicting tool if not overused. Naturally in the end the only statistic that matters is the reliability of my 1 vehicle not all the rest so in that regard it can be a guess, but an educated guess.

I don't understand the comment from madRiver about the split seats being unsafe.

We are considering the AWD SUVs. Only the Sienna offers AWD which removes the spare tire so that is a fatal flaw.

I've done the t-belt on our Accord with no issue (< 4 hours the first time, slow sure but complete). So that's not really much of a consideration.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Just bought a new Pilot. I did a test drive on the Highlander also, along with about everything else out there. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just a matter of personal preference.

+1, they're both really solid family haulers. I personally like the Highlander better but would take whichever I could get a better deal on.

I think some odd-ball versions of the Toyota GR engine are direct injection, but most of the mainstream ones are not (yet, anyway). I'm sure it's coming eventually.

One point to make about certain features like lane departure warning or collision mitigation braking: Toyota's website makes it look like they're available as part of an option package on the Limited model only, but if you're interested in that, be sure to confirm that (I don't know for sure). With the Pilot, they're available with the Honda Sensing package on models as "low" as the EX (which is like a Highlander "LE Plus" trim). It's standard on Touring and Elite, which are probably good analogs for the Highlander Limited trim.

I personally think the reliability of both of these will be good, with the nod probably going to the Highlander because of more conventional components. Honda's "second generation" VCM has been around for a few years, now, but it's certainly something to consider. If you are looking at AWD models, the Pilot's iVTM-4 is more interesting than the Toyota's system. Honda's system uses torque vectoring on dry pavement, similar to Acura's SH-AWD. It's huge fun...it is in the MDX, anyway.

Is it just me or does the new Honda Pilot look like a Chevy Traverse?

Why limit yourself to just the Pilot and Highlander? There are plenty of 3 row crossovers on the market.

Mazda CX-9
GMC Acadia
Chevrolet Traverse
Ford Explorer
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorrento
Buick Enclave

There are others as well.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Is it just me or does the new Honda Pilot look like a Chevy Traverse?

Why limit yourself to just the Pilot and Highlander? There are plenty of 3 row crossovers on the market.

Mazda CX-9
GMC Acadia
Chevrolet Traverse
Ford Explorer
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorrento
Buick Enclave

There are others as well.

Like I originally said, we narrowed it down to a 2016 Highlander XLE (new model was in 2014) vs. a new Pilot EX-L which is a new model in 2016. I used this list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
One point to make about certain features like lane departure warning or collision mitigation braking: Toyota's website makes it look like they're available as part of an option package on the Limited model only, but if you're interested in that, be sure to confirm that (I don't know for sure). With the Pilot, they're available with the Honda Sensing package on models as "low" as the EX (which is like a Highlander "LE Plus" trim). It's standard on Touring and Elite, which are probably good analogs for the Highlander Limited trim.

Correct assumption re: safety features. Honda did a good job of making those available in a reasonably priced package in lower trim lines (all but LX) for those who want it.

I have no recommendation one way or the other. My only observation is the Pilot is about as mini-van looking as a mini van.

Therefore-consider the utility aspect when choosing.

We have a '12 Pilot LX. When the local dealer started stocking the new ones, there's no question they look identical to a minivan.

If I did not want AWD, I would choose the minivan. The Town & Country has the excellent 3.6 and 8 speed. And a nice lower step in height than a SUV.

Just going by looks alone id pick the highlander. The new pilot is one ugly son of a gun. It looks like an suv from the midde east countries. To me it just looks off and doesnt seem like it fits the north american market.

My FIL has a new highlander. his wife has a newer MDX, which I think is the same platform still as the pilot. They have different driving dynamics, but are both very nice platforms.

drive them both, because they are likely different enough that you'll have an opinion.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Toyota all the way. No trans dipstick, no service needed either. If you must do it, drain cold fluid into a measured container & pump in the same amount of cold fluid from the L/F wheel well area & you'll be fine on the fluid level.

The ZF 9HP in the Pilot above the LX trim levels is dipstick-less, same procedure as an BMW/Audi/Range Rover.

Pilot, Highlander, and Pathfinder is a tough choice.

Drive em and buy the one you like most.

I am a fan of the Honda AWD.

Good luck haggling on the Honda or Toyota. Nissan might have a good discount.

You can get a 2016 Highlander V6 awd LE for $34k msrp. Not sure I'd want the extra 4k in options for the xle.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Toyota all the way. No trans dipstick, no service needed either. If you must do it, drain cold fluid into a measured container & pump in the same amount of cold fluid from the L/F wheel well area & you'll be fine on the fluid level.

The ZF 9HP in the Pilot above the LX trim levels is dipstick-less, same procedure as an BMW/Audi/Range Rover.

That ZF transmission is only available in the Elite & Touring trim line, not EX or LX (like you already mentioned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back