2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 25k miles, 9k on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the 3rd oil change on this truck. 5k, 15k and 24k miles. I sent the 15k mile oil change off to be tested and it came back pretty rough. Blackstone recommended a 7k OCI but I just couldn't find the time to do plus I was really hoping that the 15k was a good washout and the metals had reduced, which is what happened.

The 5k oil change was a 'free' oil change at the dealership, which they supposedly put in bulk 0w20 oil. The second and third oil changes were by me using Mobil 1 0W20 extended performance and Toyota cartridge filters (what a PITA!)

I will probably run this oil 11k as recommended and to get it to an even 35k for easier remembering of OCI. I'm very pleased, this is on par with my Hondas.

Blackstone%252520-%2525201.jpg

Blackstone%252520-%2525202.jpg

Originally Posted By: thooks
The second and third oil changes were by me using Mobil 1 0W20 extended performance and Toyota cartridge filters (what a PITA!)

They are a bit of a pain. I have heard of some guys taking and zipping a hole through the "skidplate" (it's not rugged enough to be one, it's more of an air dam or similar). On mine, the 3/8" drive is pretty wall crammed into the plastic part. It is not coming off easily. So, I can just put a six inch (1'? forget now) extension onto a ratchet and remove the whole cannister at once. Otherwise, I put the special tool on and remove the cannister at once.

I do not bother with the pre-drain nonsense. Eons ago I when I changed oil they were all the metal can affairs, and I always go oil all over the place, so it is really no different. At least not to me.

If you don't like the plastic housing, some guys buy the metal version that is used on the Venza 3.5L V6. You have to swap the perforated metal tube that runs up the center; any thread you find on the subject will explain that.

So much for the idea that Mobil 1 creates high IRON numbers.

Very nice....and agree that M1 0w20 is an excellent oil. With a TBN of 4.1....could easily go to 12K.

Thanks for posting the UOA. What type of driving? Highway/city/towing hauling.
I'm very happy with my 5.7L Tundra. I have PP 5w20 in it now but it had seen a steady diet of TGMO.
I believe the oci on the 5.7 is 12k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
What's the OCI on a Tundra? On my Tacoma, it is 5k.

OM says for 5W-20 oil, OC interval should be 5K, but for 0W-20 full synthetic OC should be 10K. I guess with a good quality 5W-20 full synthetic like QSUD or PP you could easily go 7500 miles without any worries.

Sorry for the delay in replying-

Thanks for the comments on the good UOA.

This run of ~9,000 miles was a mix of different driving.

There was a 900+ mile trip to Ohio.

We moved in late August/early September about 14 miles away. While we did hire movers to make one run with a (fully loaded) 26' box truck, I did count 9 round-trips with a 16' dual-axle enclosed trailer. 9 'ways' the trailer was mostly loaded, estimating 5-6,000 lbs each of the 9 ways of the 9 round-trips, mostly flat ground.

One round-trip of about 100 miles, 1/2 of that empty with the trailer, the other half fully loaded, running about 6500 lbs total trailer weight. Two more trips of 100 miles each with the trailer empty (picking it up and returning it to a friend).

The other empty driving was a mix of city/highway...mostly highway, but let's get real. "Highway" driving in 2015 is a flippin' far cry from highway driving in 1996. You can't maintain a decent speed anymore, there's always the jackwagons out there just cruising on their own calendar and not really needing to get to a destination at any certain time...

I am very pleased with this report. I will knock about 11k out of this run to get the mileage evened up and then do 10k runs from there on unless I can't and then I'll just try to even it up again.

The Owner's Manual and/or other documentation I was told/read about the OCI on this vehicle was a standard 10k mile run on full syn of 0W20. Having put 200k on a Honda Ridgeline doing mostly 7-10k mile OCI and having a near perfect UOA at 190k miles on a 13k mile run, I was a little skeptical of Toyota's blanket statement of 10k miles, but let's get real.

Running a decent full syn and decent filter today....10k miles on an oil change is most likely not going to present any problems.

I plan on running a UOA at the next oil change and if it comes back slightly better than this one, I am going to stop the UOA and just keep on keepin' on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back