0w20 vs 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, on extreme cold winter days it takes a good 20-30 min hwy run to get to mid temp (where it usually is). My goal for this oil change is best flow for cold startups, but would a 0w30 weight hold its heat better than a 0w20? Please let me know if I am not making any sense!! (very possible). I wonder if the 30 being thicker when hot would hold its heat longer? (when I say heat, intention is to keep it hotter in the cabin when very cold outside)

Besides the media type, are there any superior oil filters in extreme cold temps? (Yep, I wont be facing extreme cold temps, just curious if anything better exists)

Thx
smile.gif

It won't make any difference, especially up there if it takes that long to get to temp. You want the thinnest oil you can get away with. Oil temp has nothing to do with the heat inside the car; coolant temp is much more important.

Not sure whether your 07 Corolla originally called for 5w30, but regardless, Toyota Canada specs 0/5w20 now.

The same high end filters will be just as good in the cold, especially the wire-backed variety (Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Purolator Synthetic/Boss, Royal Purple, etc). But even regular Wix will be fine, and so would Mahle.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 5w20/0w20 for cold weather start ups. You can always switch back to 5w30 in the spring/summer. Last oci for the 05 Matrix was 5w20 MC syn-blend and this one is 0w20 MC syn-blend. I'd focus more on flow this time of year. Since it's always nice when the engine turns over.

The MC oil filter does a nice job of keeping the oil clean based on color. Unlike the oem, ocod and other generic ones. Not that color/colour is a tell all. But prob an Ultra is even better.

SatunSilver: in my 11' Focus: the Edge 5w20 was noisy. I have some MC 5w20 synblend in and also note the car seems "smoother"

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Hi all, on extreme cold winter days it takes a good 20-30 min hwy run to get to mid temp (where it usually is). My goal for this oil change is best flow for cold startups, but would a 0w30 weight hold its heat better than a 0w20? Please let me know if I am not making any sense!! (very possible). I wonder if the 30 being thicker when hot would hold its heat longer? (when I say heat, intention is to keep it hotter in the cabin when very cold outside)

Besides the media type, are there any superior oil filters in extreme cold temps? (Yep, I wont be facing extreme cold temps, just curious if anything better exists)

Thx
smile.gif

If it takes tht long to warm up, its prob time to change the thermostat out and see if tht helps.

Heat retainment is more dependent on density, mass and volume than on viscosity. Wouldnt make any discernable difference if you use SAE 0w20 or SaE 60. Are your core heat run by oil flow? If it is the case, ah Thats a very odd one, indeed.

[/quote]
If it takes tht long to warm up, its prob time to change the thermostat out and see if tht helps. [/quote]

+1. I recommend a Toyota thermostat, and Toyota coolant.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
extension cord to block and pan heater

Wolverine makes a good pan heater, well worth the investment IMO.

Originally Posted By: Pete
[/quote]
If it takes tht long to warm up, its prob time to change the thermostat out and see if tht helps.

+1. I recommend a Toyota thermostat, and Toyota coolant. [/quote]

X2..Dont forget Toyota water as well...

If your car is specced for 0W20, then that's probably best.

The 0W20, due to it's lower viscosity will take longer to come up to operating temperature, as there's less power loss due to shearing the lower viscosity oil.

the 0W30 won't hold onto heat any longer than the 0W20 (within reason).

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
extension cord to block and pan heater

yes that is what Im doing now. Best way to get engine up to temp fast in the winter and it helps a lot with the fuel comsumption too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Thx
smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing. New thermostat and if the coolant has never been replaced I'd replace that as well.

OP, you might want to look into a good grill block. Check out Ecomodder.com for ideas. I run one on a car in the winter that has trouble warming up on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back