diesel engine oil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some threads about it is ok to use diesel engine oil in wet clutch bikes.

what's the thinking behind this guys? very curious

I use Rotella Triple T and T6 in my Brute Force 750 (which is not a wet clutch bike) but requires a JASO-MA oil (which Rotella "meets"). The thinking in a wet clutch bike is that energy saving oils may cause clutch slippage--though there are plenty of people who have used them and not had any problems. For me, the HDEO oils hold up better then PCMO oils in my BF750 simply because it is an oil shredder and the HDEOs hold up better.

Correct Moly is bad for a wet clutch, some is fine but lots is bad(causes slippage), any HDEO will work great in ORV's

High-moly oils can cause the clutch to slip.

Fleet oils like Rotella, Delvac, and Delo don't have enough moly to cause problems.

Once I used Castrol GTX 10W40 (PCMO) on a '89 Yamaha XT350 and got clutch slippage after that, under med/high load. But I bet it was already very worn.

A friend used some 10W40 car oil in '97 Kawasaki Zephyr 750. Got slippage after that, specially when revving up hard.

That's when I was cautious when thinking of putting some 5W30 car oil in my 2K13 Honda CB500X (which is specced for 10W30 JASO MA oil). Maybe one day I'll try...

DOes HDEO stand for heavy duty engine oil? and is it produced and meant to be used for diesel engine?

now clutch slipping aside, the gearbox would cause the oil to foam and shear. I have seen foaming with some proper MC oil but of lower qualities.

So maybe in a low reving engine it is ok but not in one that normally runs between 7000~10000 rpm and redlined @ 13500.

For me it is interesting in case I need to change or top up my oil and I don't have access to proper motorcycle engine

Fwiw. I've used delo 400 15w-40 hdeo in:

Triumph Speed triple 1050
TTR 250 single air cooled trail bike
Wr450f enduro
R6 track only bike

Still have the wr and the r6.

Has ALWAYS been really good. Never experienced clutch slippage.

The wr gets ridden hard. Full throttle where ever i can and slow tight single trail which heats everything up (no radiator fan). In summer too.

The r6 is a track bike so obviously gets ridden full throttle changing at 14k. Hard brake. Full throttle to 14k. Again and again. That's it's life!

I'll keep using it unless i get a ktm as they specifify a xW-60.

Will never go back to over priced JASO MA oil. Really don't see the need. I pay about $100 for 20 litres of the stuff. And to boot, it seems more robust and stays good for longer then expensive Motul 10w-40 ester.

Change the oil about every 4 trail rides on the wr and about every 4 track days on the r6 (when i had the speed triple i just stuck to the regular service interval).

Makes it pretty economical. But cheap oil changes aren't cheap if you blow up your engine or cause damage. I can say that i've never had an oil related issue.

Originally Posted By: bonjo
DOes HDEO stand for heavy duty engine oil? and is it produced and meant to be used for diesel engine?
Yes; it does stand for heavy duty diesel oil. However, some of them meet the requirements for certifications such as JASO-MA which is "a 4 Stroke Engine Oil. Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with a single oil system for the engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified."

Rotella meets the requirements of JASO MA. Other HDEOs (as tested by PQIA) also have lower moly contents so the risk of clutch slippage may be lower than using a PCMO which usually contain higher levels of moly.

Open your owner's manual. Does it say you need an oil meeting JASO MA? It probably doesn't, if it's not the newest tech. Probably stating API SF / SG. That's what mine says, nowhere does it say that there needs to be a motorcycle printed on the bottle ;-)

Originally Posted By: bonjo
DOes HDEO stand for heavy duty engine oil? and is it produced and meant to be used in Diesel engines
?

Yes and no, Yes it stands for heavy duty engine oil and no it's not just meant to be used in Diesel engines. It's API certified for Diesel engine use AND you will also notice it carries an API for gasoline engines, normally SM in the Untied States but some may be rated SG,SH or SL though more rare and also depending on country.

Last edited:
I often use HDEO in my Honda VFR800, which has a 12k redline. And it is often taken all the way to the limiter at 12.5k.. Nearly 15k miles(approx 24k km) and no problems so far. Mostly Rotella T6..

My old R6 had 47k miles on it when I sold it and all it ever saw was Rotella 15/40 or Delo 15/40. Now in my old age, I run Rotella 5/40 in my '06 Goldwing.

ROD

my bike handbooks all say JASO MA and all newer bike specify JASO MA2

alarmguy

So HDEO stands for heavy duty engine oil and not restricted to diesel engines only.

2015_PSD

So if I had to use HDEO for my wet clutch bike, what is the specification I need to look for on the container?

Would be interesting to see a HDEO UOA.

Allison C4 is what you want to see if there's no JASO MA. That's a test for wet clutch transmissions transferring a bit more power than our bikes produce.
Favourite mineral oil so far has been Mobil Delvac MX 15w40, thought I'd mention it seeing that you're on this side of the pond, so no Rotella here.

thanks. I will remember this.

interestingly my honda owners handbook says to MA only otherwise the slipper clutch may not operate properly

but my yamaha has no slipper clutch so it should be ok
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Allison C4 is what you want to see if there's no JASO MA. That's a test for wet clutch transmissions transferring a bit more power than our bikes produce.
Favourite mineral oil so far has been Mobil Delvac MX 15w40, thought I'd mention it seeing that you're on this side of the pond, so no Rotella here.

I came across this outdated 2001 list of approved Allison C4 oils worldwide.
www.utxchange.com/pdfs/C4_Approved_Oil_GN3465EN.pdf
I see some oils that are still available to me locally are on it (of course, there will be many more with the passage of time since that list was made), and I still have some Fina Kappa Turbo DI that I bought for my van, years ago, that is on there. I've been using HDEO in my bikes for years, with no trouble, but it's nice to see some confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back