Rarest oil or filter in your stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the rarest oil or filter in your stash?

Dig out those SuperTech filters folks...

I have two quarts Pennzoil Euro 0W-40,
bought for $2.47 each.
four bottles old stock Pennzoil Euro (grey bottle) 5W-40
and four bottles Castrol Edge 0W-30...

Last edited:
Someone should dig up a NOS Yugo filter from ebay or an antiques store. It's a 3614 and will fit on priusses, lexusses, etc. Sure to shock the dealer next time you go in.

I have a blue P1 for a GM 4.3.
laugh.gif

I also have a few litres of Castrol TXT 505 01 for TDI engines. It is getting used in the push mowers now.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
4 quarts of Exxon Superflow 10w30.

Rarer even than superflo!

They sold synthetic at Ames dept stores in a silver/gold bottle. I didn't "trust it" at $2.99/qt, cheaper than M1. Circa 1999, right before the XOM merger.

Ames always seemed to have a case of oil for $.69 after rebate back then, and it rotated between Superflo in the narrow neck bottles, Citgo, and maybe QS. WM sold Tech2000 until mid 99 when they rebranded as ST in the US.

The first ST filters were purple then they came out with that cool black.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

They sold synthetic at Ames dept stores in a silver/gold bottle. I didn't "trust it" at $2.99/qt, cheaper than M1. Circa 1999, right before the XOM merger.

Ames always seemed to have a case of oil for $.69 after rebate back then, and it rotated between Superflo in the narrow neck bottles, Citgo, and maybe QS. WM sold Tech2000 until mid 99 when they rebranded as ST in the US.

Just noticed the typo.
At least I didn't buy "Mobile" oil.
Bought the oil at Ames.
I think that I paid .49/qt with a mail in.

We had a guy that had half a dozen of the original Frantz filters from the mid 1950's ship them new in the box to us. Cool piece of filter history lol.

When I was still at Pep Boys in college we had already started pulling the Valvoline NextGen, turns out people don't like oil that says recycled on the packaging, might be worth it to grab a few quarts on clearance and set them in the garage and forget about them for ten or twenty years so you can come back and brag on this thread about owning one of the biggest oil flops ever made.

My stash has been reduced to almost nothing due to not having any storage space. I've got a couple of quarts of Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 and that's about it. No filters.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Just noticed the typo.
Bought the oil at Ames.

I bought and used many cases of Superflo synthetic from Ames in the 'nineties. It was pretty cheap on sale with MIR.
The local location had originally been a Hill's.

Just noticed the typo.
Bought the oil at Ames.

Mobil "Drive Clean" was just coming out. This was before Mobil 5K. It was part of Ames' "wheel of oil rebates", I'm pretty sure.

I like tearing into a box of 12 quarts better than the 5 qt jugs, even though the jugs pour better/ faster and recycle the old oil more easily.

Still have 2 oil changes worth of Pennzoil Ultra. This stuff was all the rave on here a couple years ago, and I'll use it with a Fram Ultra for 10k mile OCIs. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me. Still have 3200 miles on my current Pennzoil HM then I'll go 7,500 miles on Pennzoil Platinum HM. Then I can use this stuff up. 10,700 miles is about 5 months away

250np8i.gif

I have three cases of Valvoline NextGen in the garage.

Don't recall the PN, but I also have two enormous filters (spec'd for a GMC medium truck with a gas 366) that Liz uses on her Grand National.

The JM Fields dept store 10W-30 has MS classification(prior to 1967), no doubt RARE... Also one of those cases rare doesn't mean valuable...

BTW in spite of the all the misinformation on the net, SA, SB, & SC classification oils did not exist before 1967...

oldoil_zps0c917eb7.jpg

It would be a full can of GulfPride from the 1960s:

Front:

gulflubefront.jpg

Left Side:

gulflubelside.jpg

Right Side:

gulfluberside.jpg

Back:

gulflubeback.jpg

Top:

gulflubetop.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It would be a full can of GulfPride from the 1960s:

That says Gulflube(a second tier oil, note MM classification)...

Gulfpride had the MS classification and what Pop used in our '55 Chevy in the late '50s... He only used high detergent oil(and Gulfpride exclusively through '61), would not have touched the Gulflube...

So how do I know this?? Went with him several times to get the oil changed and the Chevy only went to Mr Henry's Gulf station... In Oct '61 we moved to VA, so he switched to Havoline...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Still have 2 oil changes worth of Pennzoil Ultra. This stuff was all the rave on here a couple years ago, and I'll use it with a Fram Ultra for 10k mile OCIs. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me. Still have 3200 miles on my current Pennzoil HM then I'll go 7,500 miles on Pennzoil Platinum HM. Then I can use this stuff up. 10,700 miles is about 5 months away

250np8i.gif

Up until a month or so ago, I had some Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W30 at work. We used to use it for diesel Cruzes, but now get Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W30. My 2002 Ranger got the last of the Ultra Euro L as top off oil.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back