I HATE IT! Euthanizing my canine companion Dec 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all:

All you pet lovers will understand. We are euthanizing our 12 1/2 year Great Dane tomorrow. We are so sad. He is one of the family. I was fortunate to work from my home office, and then I retired in 2005. Of the 12 1/2 years we've had Harley, he and I have not been apart more than 45 days in total. He has been a fantastic companion and friend not only to me, but to the entire family.

He will be missed.

Scott

Harley as a young man at the beach. He loved the beach!

Harley's legs and feet. He had the best legs ever. Gawd, he loved to run!

Harley in his later years. He was still so handsome!

Spending some time together near the end. What a dear friend he has been!

I'm very sorry to hear that. It's is an extremely difficult thing to go. One of the most awful acts a loving owner has to do. As I view your post my thoughts go back to November of last year. I had a 12 year old Airedale that was my buddy...my pal....my boy. We had a relationship probably very much like you do with Harley. I still get a lump in my throat when I so much as hear his name (Ripley) or look at his little cremation box I keep at the side of my bed.

Hang in there....it is the right thing to do when it is time. Stay with him. He knows what's going on and will want to see you as he passes.

Take care and be strong.

I am very sorry. I'm afraid that it's not going to be very long that we have to make the same decision. Right now we just try to make the most of each day. It's sometimes hard for me to look at her without wanting to cry at the prospect.

Im so sorry to hear that. Few things have saddened me more than when we had to put our cat down.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I unfortunately have been in your situation.
I still think about that day over two and a half years ago.
It was difficult but the right thing to do.
Condolences.

I couldn't do it when my aust shepard got so old he couldn't walk. I still carried him outside etc. He went not long after as he looked up at us. Now I have a little boston terrier. They are as good as people as far as I am concerned. We give them good lives, that is the thing I try to keep in mind.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Make your last day with him special for you both.

Harley knows you love him.

Condolences.

Sucks...our furry friends aren't here long enough. 12 1/2 years for a Great Dane though, you took great care of him!

RIP Harley.

Sorry for your loss of your great and good friend. I hate losing them, but I would hate living without them more.

Our Vet says you should get a dog every 5 years, so you never are without a couple. It turns out, we have been doing this for some time, though without being mindful of what we were up to. It does not make you miss them any less when they go, but at least you still have company through the grieving.

Right now, we have 4......The last because when we bred our Wire Fox Terrorist, she yielded a singleton. We became too attached to let the pup go.

Our 14 year old is definitely down to being a short timer. But I enjoy every day she gets to spend with her paws on the ground.

So sorry to hear about your Harley. We had to put down our own Harley (9 year old Rottie) on November 12. It sounds like your Harley was as much a part of your family as our Harley was our's. We miss her every day, as I'm sure you will him.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'm very sorry to hear that. It's is an extremely difficult thing to go. One of the most awful acts a loving owner has to do. ...

Absolutely, Very hard decision.

RIP Harley.

Had to make that decision earlier this year. Still miss her.

I never understood what people meant when they said "You'll know it is time" until I knew it was time.

That's a very painful decision that weighs heavily on the heart and soul. You feel like you're losing a part of yourself, and in a way, you are: Years of shared experiences, forming a close emotional bond, with an animal capable of such bonds.

Dogs are indeed Man's Best Friend. It hurts to lose one.

"After God Created The Dog, He Just Sat Back And Smiled".

RIP Harley.

Very sorry to hear this. Brings a tear to my eye thinking of this and the dogs I have lost in the past. One of the hardest things to go thru is losing a loved pet and decisions like this.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Losing a valuable member of the family is always hard. No matter what a dog is truly a mans best friend and always there for you. I know when that time comes for us (hopefully not anytime soon) it will be one of the hardest days of our lives so far. Our pooch is my wifes protector when I'm gone and she's trained very well. I could be gone 1 minute or 1 week, shes alway glad to see me when I step back into the house no matter what. (my pooch that is lol) Don't forget about the good times through the hard times.

I hope he gets a nice big steak tonight or his favorite treats/meal.

May Harley RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back