Fast police car

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chargers will likely have the upper hand on a 60-120 run on an interstate. One was coming on an on ramp behind me on a trip down south. He immediately merged left and kicked it down. I had a window cracked and that charger sounded evil.

Within 30 seconds I could barely see the lights. I was running 80mph. I know that MSP charger had to be running 150 or so when he was getting out of eye sight.

I've had some procharged mustangs and big turbo imports and I can tell you they wouldn't have been able to "run away" from a late model hemi charger.

The ISP here at home has several new 5.0L mustang GT's patrolling I-65. Police cars are getting seriously fast.

Last edited:
Fayetteville PD has been buying Chargers for the past 3-5 years. The earlier ones were Hemis and the latest batch are Pentastars. I understand they're going to go back to Ford when the new Interceptor comes out.

A lot of depts locally are going with the explorer chassis. Taken ours out (not pd but same model) and it's a nice driver. Not a rocket but not shameful either, plus it handles pretty decent.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I've had some procharged mustangs and big turbo imports and I can tell you they wouldn't have been able to "run away" from a late model hemi charger.

Those must have been some disappointing boosted Mustangs then... The chargers are quick, but they're far from unbeatable rockets. A 2015 Charger R/T (5.7 hemi, not SRT) runs 5 seconds to 60 and a 13.3 @ 114 in the 1/4. That's far from fast in today's world, although it's certainly not slow.

Looking at individual lap times, when it says Ecoboost the first lap is always the best possible time. The times drop the worst with the 2.0L FWD Ecoboost, whereas with the 3.5L Ecoboost you could say it drops in line with a conventional engined car.

FWIW, driver SCHUTTER seems able to drive the most consistent lap times.

0-100 times of the 3.5L Ecoboost look exciting.

Kind of surprising to me that the best motorcycle, the BMW R1200 RT-P, is running a tad slower on the track than most of the cars.

On track, the Zero SP runs about as slow as a Harley, or, a Harley is about as slow as a Zero SP.

Ford still has the reliability the Dodges are fast and look nice but the reliability is not good at all.. The crown vics were the most reliable and the best to run someone off the road all the guys agree.

("Ford still has the reliability, the Dodges are fast and look nice but the reliability is not good at all.. The crown vics were the most reliable and the best to run someone off the road all the guys agree.") +1 well said indeed.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
The Chargers will likely have the upper hand on a 60-120 run on an interstate. One was coming on an on ramp behind me on a trip down south. He immediately merged left and kicked it down. I had a window cracked and that charger sounded evil.

Doubtful. You discount the flat power and torque of the Ecoboost 3.5.

According to the Michigan State Police's testing:

Charger Hemi AWD 0-100: 15.63, top speed 149
Ecoboost PI Sedan: 0-100: 14.19, top speed 149

So no, the Hemi may sound good but it's still going to lose a race to the top. IMHO, the Hemi is nothing special at all.

The whole report can be read here:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/20...ed_479059_7.pdf

It's an interesting read.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Ford still has the reliability the Dodges are fast and look nice but the reliability is not good at all.. The crown vics were the most reliable and the best to run someone off the road all the guys agree.

Reliability in electrical, suspension, engine, transmission, .... what exactly?
I have a hunch the Crown Vics were more reliable in most ways too, yet do you have any evidence to back up your claim? I don't. Here-say and rumors might be all we have here.

There are plenty of anecdotes that police departments have more issues with their Dodges than their Ford or GM vehicles.

Then nearly every quality/reliability report places FCA/Dodge near the bottom.

I think that, in this case, "reliability" really means "durability". The FPD has a lot of issues with Chargers losing tie rod ends and needing alignments all the time. You can't hop curbs and railroad tracks when them like you could the tanks they used to have, the Crown Vics.

In most cases, heavy suspension components (like live axles and cast iron pieces) are undesirable, but in severe duty like that, you need up-rated stuff. The Chargers don't seem to have it.

One thing I like about the Hemi, though, is it's a relatively low density power engine, so there's a lot more mass and material there than it really needs for the power produced. Again, not necessary on the street, but in severe duty, more mechanical freeboard is a good thing. I look at a small turbo'd V-6 in police duty the same way I look at aluminum independent suspension in police duty...it seems like they're trying to get an awful lot of bang for their mechanical buck with that equipment.

PDs all seem to spec payload like a truck and also want high top speeds. Hard to do since the 69 Polara interceptor hasn't been built for 46 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back