Drop the Tax on Bicycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Maybe Climate Summit Leaders could drop the tax on bicycles.

Since you're from Canada, I'll assume you're complaining about bicycles not being part of the sports gear tariff reduction?

I find it interesting that so many bike riders want all of the infrastructure provided at no cost to them, and continue to insist that cities provide for and accommodate their choice of riding a bike. Assuming that the tariff proceeds are correctly funneled into creating bike-friendly projects, I don't see any issue with bicyclists paying a tariff.

Your choice of riding a bike doesn't exempt you from paying for the infrastructure needed to make it safe and friendly for you.

Pop, I walk, cycle and drive. Everything I do is taxed.
You imply cyclists don't pay tax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Maybe Climate Summit Leaders could drop the tax on bicycles.

Since you're from Canada, I'll assume you're complaining about bicycles not being part of the sports gear tariff reduction?

I find it interesting that so many bike riders want all of the infrastructure provided at no cost to them, and continue to insist that cities provide for and accommodate their choice of riding a bike. Assuming that the tariff proceeds are correctly funneled into creating bike-friendly projects, I don't see any issue with bicyclists paying a tariff.

Your choice of riding a bike doesn't exempt you from paying for the infrastructure needed to make it safe and friendly for you.

+1 They should pay a flat $100 a year over the age of 16 to pay for the infrastructure they use. Bike path lanes are not free.
I have nothing against them its just we all have to pay to use the roads.

Taxes will continue to rise of people continue to fail to realize this one simple phrase. It doesn't matter how much money you make if you spend it all, you're still broke.

+1 They should pay a flat $100 a year over the age of 16 to pay for the infrastructure they use. Bike path lanes are not free.
I have nothing against them its just we all have to pay to use the roads.

Farmers in Iowa don't pay use tax for their 3 lane wide farm equipment to travel on a 2 lane highway. Nor do they pay any fuel tax like others that have to travel the highways. Permits are even required to transport wide loads although farm equipment is exempt. No vehicle license or drivers license required for the farm equipment traveling down the highways either.

Nothing like comparing apples to oranges. You comparing a farmer to a friggin bicycle rider?
crazy2.gif

Taxes should be increased on bikes. Instead of investing in additional lanes to ease the congestion in and around Portland we get bike lanes. Idiots.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Perhaps if the government cut spending instead of looking for new ways to tax people.

This is often lost in translation, or hidden under the animosity created between two different groups.

White vs black
Rich vs poor
bikes vs cars

Instead of bickering with each other we should shift our gaze to the real problem, which is the govt.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Taxes should be increased on bikes. Instead of investing in additional lanes to ease the congestion in and around Portland we get bike lanes. Idiots.
Shoot-here we've been LOSING lanes to get bike lanes, which tend to be unused during the cold & rainy days, while the traffic piles up. Wonder who is paying the geniuses at Cincinnati Highway Maintenance & ODOT? That's right, MY tax dollars (income, property, & fuel taxes)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back