08 Civic si valvetrain pics - 75k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Xeno
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Adjusting valves on a modern vehicle? Seems like a waste of time to me.

I agree, but that's the way Honda designed these engines.

wait, honda engines require valve clearance adjustment every 25000 miles?

nope, this guy is just over kill.

Honda says only to adjust if needed and I believe the first check to see if its required is around 100k.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Xeno
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Adjusting valves on a modern vehicle? Seems like a waste of time to me.

I agree, but that's the way Honda designed these engines.

wait, honda engines require valve clearance adjustment every 25000 miles?

Depends on how you drive it.

Honda only says "adjust it when you hear ticking noise". But usually it is hard to distinguish the injector and valve clearance noise.

If it's your grocery getter, the answer is no.

If it's your grocery getter + if you go to track, like this (which only shows 10 min of whole 5 hour track session)............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxe-ZTRjl-E

..........You better check the clearances more often.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: tig1
OCI every 3-5K?

It's guys like you who are driving up the price of motor oil. "Want to do 10K OCI's? Fine, we'll double the price!" That's what the oil companies are saying. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to suffer with the high prices.

I am sure you are not eating cat food to afford your oil changes.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Just out of curiosity, on you most recent valve check, did they tighten up or loosen.

Few intake valves were loose.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OCI every 3-5K?

It's guys like you who are driving up the price of motor oil. "Want to do 10K OCI's? Fine, we'll double the price!" That's what the oil companies are saying. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to suffer with the high prices.

Is the price of motor oil going up?

As usual Merc has no clue. I started using M1 in 1978 at 10K OCIs. I paid $5 a qt then, and pay $27 for a 5 qt jug today. Still doing 10K OCIs. Same quality results.

The manufacturer recommends 5W-30 in that engine.

With being in Toronto and all the cold weather you get, I'm sure substituting a 0W-30 would be great.

Just use Mobil 1 0W-30 and change it out every 6-7K, you will be OK.

I started using M1 in 1978 at 10K OCIs. I paid $5 a qt then, and pay $27 for a 5 qt jug today. Still doing 10K OCIs. Same quality results.

Same deal, here, tig1. At one store, in fact, Mobil 1 jugs only went up about $2 a big jug in twenty years. Conventional has moved up at a much more rapid pace than synthetic. Lately, too, it seems that price cuts on conventional aren't as deep as on synthetic when they have sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back