Mmo in fuel vs gumout and redline??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumout and Redline both contain P.E.A, a powerful detergent that cleans everything it touches between the tank and the tailpipe.

MMO is mostly kerosene with some other petroleum derivatives mixed in for good luck - doesn't really do much of anything..

My mmo experiences.
99 Dodge Durango which I just sold. 360 motor. Always pinged, rattled and knocked on regular when you turned the AC on and the temperature was over 70. Always. Putting mid grade lessened the pinging, putting in premium eliminated it.
On a whim, I started adding mmo. After a couple-three tankfuls of mmo added to regular grade gas, the pinging stopped. Never to return.
Second mmo experience. 2000 Blazer with a 4.3 Fuel pump whining loudly. My kid takes it to the mechanic where she is going to school, he says fuel pump is on its last legs. I agreed with it as it had 150k miles at the time and was 13 years old. I had her start adding mmo with the fuel. The pump noise eventually got to where you really have to be near the tank to hear it. Blazer now has 190k on it with the same pump.
Some people say mmo doesn't do anything. My experience says it does.
I continue to add mmo to the fuel of everything I own.

I have used MMO for many years with success. Fuel pumps last well and no signs of fuel deposits.

IMO, they do different things. The PEA based stuff is for cleaning, MMO might do a little cleaning, but it's primary purpose is to lubricate stuff.

Every once in a while, the fuel sender in the Jeep will start sticking a bit. Throwing some MMO in for a tank fixes it for a while, while the PEA cleaners don't seem to affect it at all.

it works great for hangover's.., mixed with a little gunpowder! LOL
sick.gif

i've frequently used it to flush out my engine through out the years. i'll let you know in another couple hundred thousand miles when and if I hit 500k miles.

I stay away from over loading with harsh fuel cleaners had problems afterwards on otherwise good new cars. A light oil treat wont hurt for a couple tanks.

I've used MMO off n on for several decades and at times mixed it with acetone in the fuel of course. Last several years I just use the Berrymans B12 fuel additive exclusively now. I treat the fuel every 2,500-3000 mi unless an engine light comes on then I use it too. On my 98 Ford Ranger the light came on and before the tank of fuel is used the light stays out for a year or so. I figure it was an O2 sensor, but the problem disappears before I get to it with a scan gauge. Blackstone says it burns clean and doesn't show up in the oil. MMO I have on hand I use in the yard equipment. I never tried redline and gumout seems to be too diluted, it left me disappointed.

MMO was very useful a long time ago in the days of non-detergent oil and gasoline contaminated with moisture. Today, not so much.

I keep a bottle of MMO in the trunk of my Civic. It "seems" to get a bit better mpg with a few ounces in a fillup, but it's not scientific. I definitely add it to every tank on the boat and the old vehicles. I also put a couple ounces in the 5 gallon gas can in the garage that is used to fill the mower and generator and stuff like that. It was under $4/qt at walmart last time I was there.

As stated it depends on what your goals are and what engine family youre dealing with. I use MMO in everything as I have a bulk 300 gallon tank on site, so I mix the entire tank.

I have several older engines that it works very well in, a couple of flat head fords and a couple of flat head chryslers (industrial 6). The chryslers always had sticking valves as they sit for months on end prior to use. We had tried everything to cure this issue, on a whim I tried MMO and after 10 gallons of gas all issues were resolved and never returned, and thats been over 10 years ago. They also seem to run much better. With all of the older equipment I have along with a mix of newer they all see MMO.

I'm sure that the newer engines see no benefit from MMO, but it doesn't hurt anything and I have the ease of mixing 300 gallons at once and done.

Plus it smells great... I used MMO in the power steering on the 69 ltd. It had sat for about 5 years. PS was a little noisy and sticky. Sucked fluid from reservoir and filled with MMO. Left it in for about a month driving the car pretty regularly back then. It smoothed out and quieted down. Did the reservoir suck and fill 4 or 5 more times with type f and been great since then. Next go around its getting maxlife ATF like the f250.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I keep a bottle of MMO in the trunk of my Civic. It "seems" to get a bit better mpg with a few ounces in a fillup, but it's not scientific. I definitely add it to every tank on the boat and the old vehicles. I also put a couple ounces in the 5 gallon gas can in the garage that is used to fill the mower and generator and stuff like that. It was under $4/qt at walmart last time I was there.

It still is that price.

And it has never hurt anything I have put it in, this Marvel Mystery Oil.. It seems that when added to things that have not had it before, it puts things to another level beyond the perhaps normal level that otherwise would be attained.

Originally Posted By: BreakerBreaker
And it has never hurt anything I have put it in, this Marvel Mystery Oil.. It seems that when added to things that have not had it before, it puts things to another level beyond the perhaps normal level that otherwise would be attained.

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back