grin.gif

Good one!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Death for stealing seems pretty harsh.

Well he did it to himself. I would say "suicide" by stupidity"

Around here breaking into someone's house means you're going to have extra holes.

Chimneys have a generally recognised purpose.

Being roasted in one serving that purpose isn't "death for stealing", it's death for taking a (mis)calculated risk, and wearing the extreme end of the consequences.

If he'd have reached a point where he got stuck and asphyxiated, would that be a "harsh" penalty for stealing ?

Nope, just another one of the risks you would have crawling down a chimney.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Sorry to hear about the guys chimney being destroyed. Thats sad but hopefully insurance covers it.

I would think that the burglars estate would be responsible for the damage.

Absolutely! Homeowner should be reimbursed for damage to the fireplace,chimney,and any smoke damage that unfortunately probably occurred. I also feel homeowner should be reimbursed for any damage scum-bag might've done to the lawn from walking across it and any landscape plants that might've been damaged. I have zero tolerance for thieves.

Yes, yet they take those risks. Its not as if its someone elses fault, but their own.

Perhaps so, but I would bet my life on it that this guy was breaking into many other houses before this one. Suppose he survived, and is released from prison....you know this roasted nut was certain to go right back and do the same darn thing AGAIN. Who's to say that with his future break ins that if a unsuspecting homeowner stumbled upon him in their home (say a child or wife) and Cody decides to escape without leaving a witness to his crime? So you might have a dead victim.

I'm THRILLED this roasted nut is dead and unable to every steal or hurt anyone ever again.

I disagree. A thief has rights like any citizen. The homeowner does not have the right to be "judge, juror, and executioner." Two wrong don't make a right.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I disagree. A thief has rights like any citizen. The homeowner does not have the right to be "judge, juror, and executioner." Two wrong don't make a right.

Where are the two wrongs? Only see one and that was the thief trying to rob the house.

Though Castle doctrine probably doesn't apply here it certainly allows you to protect yourself including the use of deadly force in the case of intruders (of course every state is a little different).

Well..you are again wrong.
In most states (including your own..lol) the home-owner does have the right of Judge, jury, and executioner. I have every right in Pa. to use lethal force if a thief breaks into my home. I don't have to make a judgment as to whether he did it to rob me, hut me, or just admire one of my rooms. Its called the "Castle Doctrine"

Yes..I am in Pa (and in Illinois)...Judge, Jury, and Executioner (If I so choose).

From your other posts I know you are big on following the letter of the law. I intend to do that also should circumstances arise...BLM or WLM not withstanding.

Originally Posted By: Al

Well..you are again wrong.
In most states (including your own..lol) the home-owner does have the right of Judge, jury, and executioner. I have every right in Pa. to use lethal force if a thief breaks into my home. I don't have to make a judgment as to whether he did it to rob me, hut me, or just admire one of my rooms. Its called the "Castle Doctrine"

Yes..I am in Pa (and in Illinois)...Judge, Jury, and Executioner (If I so choose).

From your other posts I know you are big on following the letter of the law. I intend to do that also should circumstances arise...BLM or WLM not withstanding.

Wrong. He has no problem driving intoxicated and makes a big joke about it.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Wrong. He has no problem driving intoxicated and makes a big joke about it.

LOL, and if a homeowner had called the cops, who found a person in the chimney and then wanted to question him, that would be profiling and entrapment.

After the chimney owner gets harassed by the cops, the DA, the press and the lawyers from the estate of the burglar, I know one thing:
The next time he has a burglar in his chimney, or anywhere else on his property, he will take care of business and never call the cops again.....and just let sleeping dogs lie.

BTW, I had two vehicles stolen from me in December of 2014 and the alleged thief (who lives in a different county) was caught two months later. His wife flipped on him and the DA (in the county where the alleged thief lives) has all the evidence they need, including about $100K of stolen property they found ON HIS RESIDENCE. He's a free man.
Meanwhile, I had to pay about $500 out of my own pocket to retrieve my vehicles, plus take off a day of work. I actually had to pay the impound yard money to get my vehicles out. The cops only gave me a two day notice to retrieve my vehicles and if I didn't get them in two day, they would have been sold on public auction. (The cops were gracious enough not to charge me for the towing, LOL) The victim's recovery fund was useless to me because I live in a different county. About half the property recovered was stolen in my county and the DA in my county won't prosecute. I can't take the alleged thief to court because he hasn't been convicted of anything, plus small claims court is about useless if the guys claims he owns nothing.
Do you see why victims get angry?

So what's your answer? Offer him coffee and donuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back