cleaning powerhead on outboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 Johnson 140hp outboard. Any harm in taking the pressure washer to it and cleaning the salt build up off? Also I'd like to spray it down with some anti corrosion spray. I have some mercury anti corrosion guard spray that's been laying around. Thinking of spraying down the whole powerhead. Anything to avoid hitting? Or would it be better to just use the water hose? I think i'll take some duct tape and spray tape over the intake for the carburetors. When I bought it about 10 years back the engine was spotless, not sure what he did to keep it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also recommend to stay away from the pressure washer, more harm than good may result.

I recommend a product call "Salt Away" available from marine stores. Some think its voo-doo. I used to use it in an older outboard that had clogged cooling passages and would start to overheat. It was very effective in clearing those passages out when used once a month or so.

I went ahead and spray it down with the hose and used some mercury anti corrosion spray someone gave me a while back. It looks really good and turns into a clear tacky like grease. It almost looks like I painted the powerhead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back