Measuring Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that are adding 2-3-5 ounces per fill up, how are you quickly measuring and dispensing into the tank?

I tried a poultry marinade injector (60cc) but it just didn't have the guts to suck up the oil at 40*F, let alone when it's more regularly in the 20s. I've got a baster that's graduated to 1 ounce to try next. if that doesn't work, I found that a 5hr energy bottle is 1.96oz, and in my opinion, that's close enough for my 2oz plan (10 gallons per fill every three days)

The little bottles that sta-bil comes in that you squeeze the product up to the measuring neck work good for me. At least for the thin stuff I mix up, but maybe not for 2 cycle oil. Of course you could mix it 50/50 with gas and use twice as much

Originally Posted By: old1
The little bottles that sta-bil comes in that you squeeze the product up to the measuring neck work good for me. At least for the thin stuff I mix up, but maybe not for 2 cycle oil. Of course you could mix it 50/50 with gas and use twice as much

I was thinking of reusing a 32oz stabil bottle when it's empty but it's only about half way right now.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I use a graduated measuring cylinder that I purchased from McMaster-Carr.

Didn't think to check McMaster. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Or you could skip that mess, just fill up, and the end result will be the same.

Agreed

Thank you both for a thoughtful, insightful comment.

use a measuring cup in my garage and fill up used additive bottles...that way you can buy your addy's in bulk and take advantage of sales and savings .

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Thank you both for a thoughtful, insightful comment.

I sense a bit of sarcasm, but I did believe it to be very thoughtful.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
use a measuring cup in my garage and fill up used additive bottles...that way you can buy your addy's in bulk and take advantage of sales and savings .

I'm in the experimentation phase so I don't know if this will be a very long term. I drive a lot of consistant miles, so my car can accumulate data quickly.

My notebook has more exact numbers, but over the last 10 or so fill ups I hand calc'd 33.5, 34.2, 35.5, 34.2, 34.2, 34.1, etc MPG, and summing the total fuel pumped and the total miles driven delivered an average of 34.2MPG over those fill-ups.

Extra note, the baster that I got from Target worked perfect.

racer,

glad the baster method is working for you, it is a good idea for those that want to go that route.

mpg is a difficult thing to measure accurately with so many variables at play on a daily basis.

after years of trials and tribulations, my only conclusion thus far has been to use the additives in fuel as added insurance for cleanliness. Of course when out of my area or comfort zone of the fuel i am using, i will likely add a treatment of something or other. It makes me feel good as added insurance. I will likely get hammered for my thoughts, but it's all good and I learn a lot here on this forum from my posts and questions.

there is one fuel additive that is produced and likely only sold in california that may show some promise in increasing mpg, and that is known as viscon, search the forum and www for some more information. I wish to obtain some for my trials myself.

best of luck and post back your experience, that is how we learn how these products may help or not. good day

Last edited:
Thanks

I figure, why not? It's not going to hurt anything.

It's a pretty cheap experiment as a pint is just a couple bucks. I can accumulate data pretty quick as since October 20, I've filled up 9 times. 110ish miles/day and unless there is a traffic hangup, the drive is very consistent. But even looking back at the events that had bad traffic, the MPG was not heavily affected (few percent).

If you can't find a clear/semi-clear graduated plastic bottle at a hobby store or Amazon, Lube Control has one HERE for $2 + shipping. Might be best as an add on with an order but just a last resort thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back