2001 Toyota Celica GT P0446 FIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CoolHandLuke
Most likely is your VSV (at canister). It is a pita to get to but doable (even without lowering the muffler).
this is exactly what i did, a pita to get to, but only removed a single hose in the way to access the VSV (at canister), then removed the two attached hoses on the VSV, and broke the old rusted one off(carefully going back and forth with a pry bar), reason we broke it instead of removing it was because it is screwed into the canister and in order to "unscrew" it, the removal of the muffler would have became necessary.

I ordered one on amazon.com. With shipping to Canada and all was like $44. That part is exactly as the one i removed.
Here is a link to the valve on amazon that i bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-911-601-Toyota-Vacuum-Switching/dp/B0042OX8VS
This is the exact part number I bought from AAP for $28.71 with tax, using discount codes

You could try doing something before you spend $$. Even dealer told me that 90% of the time its the VSV at charcoal canister that fail.
Thank You so much for this suggestion, as it turned out to be only a $28.71 fix for me.

Vehicle:2001 Toyota Celica GT with 235k rusty chicago miles, all the rust now has been repaired!

CEL: P0446 Only though

Replacing the VSV located at the canister via the method listed above, using Dorman part #911-601 worked to perfection, and the evap system was ready within a day, before that the CEL came on every ~100 miles, and it was reset 3 times to make sure it wasn't a random hiccup.

If you have any other evap codes at the same time PLEASE READ THIS LINK for any further questions.

I wonder if 1999 Camry has the same logic but I already replaced one of that electric thingy near the charcoal canister but that did not fix it. I also have only P0446.

Looking at bunch of documentation, I got the feeling that Toyota has made lots of changes on the EVAP system and 1999 Camry and 2001 Celica probably have much different parts and logic.

I doubt it, but you can try, in Toyotas the typical issue is the charcoal canister but not in the Celicas, I have worked on 10 others and personally own 5, people who replace the canister only see it fix the check engine light because of that VSV sensor that is attached onto the canister.

First replace cheaper parts and run it through the proper evap cycles and then move on to the bigger fish(charcoal canister)

Do you ever top off your gas tank? the issue seems to be prevalent when people top off unnecessarily, adding vapor pressure to the system, which already told you to stop at the pump shut off.

The reason it shows up in the celica would be the VSV fully rusts out in the rust belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back