[Cut Open] Puro L14610 - Virgin (White, Slotted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgin Purolator L14610 - Virgin (White Can, Slotted Center Tube)

The blue mark is mine obviously. Let me know if you want any more pictures before I remove the media.

L14610slots3.jpg

L14610slots2.jpg

L14610slots4.jpg

L14610slots5.jpg

L14610slots6.jpg

L14610slots7.jpg

L14610slots8.jpg

L14610slots9.jpg

L14610slots10.jpg

Pleat spacing doesn't look too bad considering the V-spread is pretty small on the outside V edges - compared to ones that have torn in the past.

If you could take a stab at determining the total opening area of the slits in the center tube compared to the base plate total hole area, that would be interesting.

Does the media feel brittle at all?

It almost looks like the louvers are pointing open in opposite directions every other row. It all seems too complicated, spirals, louvers, more marketing opportunities to say oil flows better.

You got the other bits? Leafspring & ADBV? I see that they have made some changes.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Rust on a July 2015 filter?

Impressive isn't it? And I was feeling good about it...

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It almost looks like the louvers are pointing open in opposite directions every other row....

I'll take a closer look.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Wow ridiculously dirty for such a new filter. ...

My first thought when I got it open was "Oh that doesn't seem good."

Originally Posted By: daman
I hate the new center tube looks to restrictive, the old tube was better for flow IMO.

I dunno. The louvered holes may be smaller, but there appears to be FAR more of them in that tube than the number of larger holes in the old version. IMHO, the overall flow should be similar, just more spread out. Might mean more even flow across the media.

The media looks a little better in general but those super small oil holes on the center tube looks very restrictive.. Looks like flow will suffer and possibly starve the engine of oil. I will be buying one this week and cutting it open to see for myself i could be wrong but so far at this point im not liking those tiny oil holes in the center tube but the media looks like it improved but that is only my opinion looking at pictures.
* See if you can post a close up of the center tube and those Tiny looking oil holes

Mr Nice if your not worried about the quality of your oil filters you are using on your vehicles im not either. Good Luck.
Those two civics have no problems with the oil systems although head gaskets on those engines are a problem. We see a few a month around the 90,000 100,000 mile mark. We had a 2004 and a 2008 in the shop last week and we do a lot of those heads for other shops.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Does the media feel brittle at all?

It doesn't seem too brittle, the pleats near the crimp are very stiff, I expect I could tear them with moderate pressure, but the others will flex.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It almost looks like the louvers are pointing open in opposite directions every other row. ...

That appears to be correct...

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
You got the other bits? Leafspring & ADBV? I see that they have made some changes.

Yes - I will photo tomorrow. It has a leaf spring and nitrile ADBV. It did tend to stay together but doesn't appear to have been glued.

That media looks just like ACDelco media.

Going to hold off buying any Purolator's in the near future to see how all this plays out. During the mean time, I can buy ACDelco Classic filters(no ecore) from Advance Auto Parts for $3.36 each with the 20% off coupon code. Bought three of them today at that price. Can buy eight at $2.94 each by using the $10 of $30 purchase. Not going to miss Purolator any time soon.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

Going to hold off buying any Purolator's in the near future to see how all this plays out. During the mean time, I can buy ACDelco Classic filters(no ecore) from Advance Auto Parts for $3.36 each with the 20% off coupon code. Bought three of them today at that price. Can buy eight at $2.94 each by using the $10 of $30 purchase. Not going to miss Purolator any time soon.

They are made by different companies so not sure what they would have in common with each other.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: BigD1

They are made by different companies so not sure what they would have in common with each other.

I know they are made by different companies. Just saying the media looks like ACDelco media. Purolator's Classic media in the past has had a darker colored media. More of a cardboard look while the media in that picture is a lighter colored media.

I think there are about 600 slits.

What kind of steel is that end cap? Is it plated alloy steel or passivated cres? Either way it was not properly processed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back