2015 Camry Dirty Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Camry, 4 Cylinder, 17,200 miles. Oil burner.

The Toyota Dealership finally found me a new plug for Cylinder 4. The plug removed from Cylinder 4 and it was very dirty, scale, black wet oil, and a Blackstone oil report. Question: What does the plug tell you? What is happening in cylinder 4? I spoke with Blackstone Labs, they told me the oil Toyota was using was closer to 5W30 than the 0W20 they claimed, other than that nothing bad.

My gas mileage has dropped from 33.5 to 29.7 mpg. I burned 1.1 quarts of oil in 1169 miles.

I asked shop manager at the dealership what the plug told him about the problems in cylinder 4. Answer: take this to arbitration.

I ask why my gas mileage was dropping? Answer: take this to arbitration.

I ask what caused the plug to look like this. Answer: take this to arbitration.

Every question's answer was the same. The dealership just walked away from my warranty. Also, they refuse to give me the phone number or address for the Toyota Rep, John Deering.

Toyota America promised me a rep would be present, but no one showed up. I asked for someone to look at the pictures of the plug and make a Corporate decision about cylinder 4. Toyota America agreed, but it didn't happen. I'm shocked.

Sounds like cylinder #4 has issues. The spark plug with "dirty, scale, black wet oil" means something like bad rings or bad valve guide seals. And the high rate of oil burning (1.1 quarts of oil in 1169 miles) means it's pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
2015 Camry, 4 Cylinder, 17,200 miles. Oil burner.

The Toyota Dealership finally found me a new plug for Cylinder 4. The plug removed from Cylinder 4 and it was very dirty, scale, black wet oil, and a Blackstone oil report. Question: What does the plug tell you? What is happening in cylinder 4? I spoke with Blackstone Labs, they told me the oil Toyota was using was closer to 5W30 than the 0W20 they claimed, other than that nothing bad.

My gas mileage has dropped from 33.5 to 29.7 mpg. I burned 1.1 quarts of oil in 1169 miles.

I asked shop manager at the dealership what the plug told him about the problems in cylinder 4. Answer: take this to arbitration.

I ask why my gas mileage was dropping? Answer: take this to arbitration.

I ask what caused the plug to look like this. Answer: take this to arbitration.

Every question's answer was the same. The dealership just walked away from my warranty. Also, they refuse to give me the phone number or address for the Toyota Rep, John Deering.

Toyota America promised me a rep would be present, but no one showed up. I asked for someone to look at the pictures of the plug and make a Corporate decision about cylinder 4. Toyota America agreed, but it didn't happen. I'm shocked.

Is there a lemon law in your state? If so, file a claim. According to my info, the I4 is supposed to get 5W 20 or 0W 20 while the V6 gets 5w 30. The stealer must have only one tank. I doubt, though, that oil grade makes much difference, especially if you got the thicker oil. The I4 is made in large numbers and is usually a very robust engine. I've got one with 330,000 K on it.

Last edited:
The dealership removed the plug, and it was black with oil? Defective engine. They ought to be bending over backwards at this moment doing an engine pull. IIRC this issue has been going on for quite some time; I'd think it'd be well documented and basis for a new engine.

It's possible the dealership filled up with 5w30 to stave off your oil consumption. And that they don't want to deal with you...

Don't you have a thread here someplace over this car and its issues? Sorry, I don't recall off-hand.

As for the plug: sounds like the rings got installed wrong, and it's simply sucking in oil. I guess a valve seal could do that too, but I'd think that level of consumption is rings and/or wall issues.

I would go to another Toyota dealership for a second opinion and hopefully better customer service.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I would go to another Toyota dealership for a second opinion and hopefully better customer service.

CALL TOYOTA and open up a trouble ticket! You will need to work with the factory service rep as well.

Have Toyota suggest a dealer close by that you want to use.

DO NOT GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL DEALER, it is obvious they have no interest in trying to help you. Make sure you tell Toyota how you were treated at the dealer you mentioned.

Last edited:
FORGET the lies Toyota is telling you you need a Lemon Law Attorney they are usually totally free and they will get you a brand new car for free or other remedy..Don't be duped I am not sure about your State but they can help if you do it alone you better be good because the car companies are.

Like another member said everyone screams lemon law there is a reason for that ...It Works and it works great. There are steps you have to hold onto all your paper work for one. Toyota engines are not what they were 10 years ago not even close.

No way that engine will last 300K miles....like every Toyota is "supposed" to do..or so they say.
I guess Jan the smiley face TV ad gal is pushing a subpar product now...

First of all look up the phone number of Toyota's website and ask them to give you a rebuild. That Cyl 4 is definitely bad, either the ring or the valve stem seal has major problem.

If they are not willing to do the rebuild, file lemon law and see what else is needed (independent evaluation from another mechanic, compression test, leak down test, etc).

I dont think we have the whole story but based on your post. I'd lemon law it.

If they flat out refuse to fix it..

also you aren't bound to arbitration regardless of what they say.

How is warranty work dealt with Toyota?

Don't they usually find a problem, call the factory rep(to see if they agree to pay for the warranty work) and if yes, you get a rental, the "factory" pays the dealer for the work, and everyone is happy.

Or does the dealership solely "bear" the burden of warranty repair work, for maybe a higher new car profit as a added risk?

I know Nissan is great with Warranty work. Had no issues, and it's usually them that find the problem!

Last edited:
My new 2015 Camry had a steering wheel rubber band like grinding sound. When I had my dealership look at it they said it needed a new steering column but they needed to get authorization from Toyota to perform the repair. Toyota authorized it the next day and I'm taking it in this week. They are even giving me a loaner.

If the dealer says take it to arbitration, then take it to arbitration.

Two steps to fix. New dealer and complaint with Toyota USA. Its unacceptable work by your dealer. If Toyota USA doesnt want to make it right, threaten to take this to the media. Heck escalate ur complaint to a manager at Toyota USA..keep working it up the chain. Eventually you will get to the right person. Dont give up. Good luck and keep us posted.

Not sure about the lemon law in IL, but here in OH they get 3 attempts in a year to fix a problem-then they HAVE to buy it back. This is why, from now on, I'll be reading any purchase agreement with a microscope looking for any "arbitration" clauses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back