Vredestein Quatrac 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these tires (or the previous generation - Quatrac 3)?

Put them on my Prius about a month ago. Pretty fantastic so far. Still waiting to see if they're any better in the snow than a traditional all-season.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
The Quatrac 3's had a black snowflake, I believe...

Do the 5's?

Yes, they're M+S and "mountain snowflake" rated.

Yup, snowflake symbol. They handle very well -- my wife drives the Prius like a race car on some very curvy roads and she loves them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
No personal experience, but it seems like a pretty good tire in this category. It came in 3rd in this comparo, behind Nokian and Goodyear...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-2015-results-by-category

Thank you! That review came out just after I had the tires installed -- I'd read everything about them I could find before that. That review makes me feel pretty good about their winter capabilities.

If I use the continental winter tire as my benchmark I'd say these tires (I paid $70/tire, mind you) performed very well.

Where did you get them?

Going to need a pair of 175/55R15's soon...

Are they directional?

I can't remember right now but I'll PM you with the website later.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They aren't Michelins, so they will likely be met with criticism here.

If I wanted useless comments I'd have posted this on reddit.

Thanks though.

Where did you get them?

Are they directional?

And yes, looking at the tread design on my tires (195/65/15) they are directional.

Good to hear! I was expecting this post from one of the European members, not from someone living in VA. A true "mountain and snowflake" all-season tire seems appropriate for the climate down there. Heck, it would likely work just fine for most of NY, too.

A fellow forum member asked you where you bought them and you can't remember, really? We're talking about four car tires here! Why would you ask if anyone has any experience driving on them if you allegedly bought them a month ago? Your story doesn't jive with me.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
A fellow forum member asked you where you bought them and you can't remember, really? We're talking about four car tires here! Why would you ask if anyone has any experience driving on them if you allegedly bought them a month ago? Your story doesn't jive with me.

Your tinfoil hat must be on a little too tight.

Bought them here.

I asked if anyone had any experience with them because I was looking for other peoples opinion about them to see if they liked them as well? Is that strange?

Originally Posted By: JRed
Where did you get them?

Are they directional?

And yes, looking at the tread design on my tires (195/65/15) they are directional.

They don't look directional to me. They are Asymmetrical?

also Tires-easy doesnt list that model on their website just their sportrac and snowtrac models.

http://www.tires-easy.com/tires-search/195-65-15?filtering=,brand,tireBrand,VREDESTEIN

Last edited:

Isn't 195/55/15 the correct size for your Prius?

And yes, as Rand mentioned, Quatrac 5 is asymmetric.

EN.jpg

Ugh... screw up on my part. I believe 185/65/15 is the correct size.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Where did you get them?

Are they directional?

They don't look directional to me. They are Asymmetrical?

also Tires-easy doesnt list that model on their website just their sportrac and snowtrac models.

http://www.tires-easy.com/tires-search/195-65-15?filtering=,brand,tireBrand,VREDESTEIN

And yes, as Rand mentioned, Quatrac 5 is asymmetric.

Youre right, asymmetric but not directional.

Also, I bought these in 185/65/15. I had been ordering tires in 195/something(65?55?)/15 since that size was cheaper from discount tire the last couple of tires orders I made for the Prius. I order a lot of tires, got confused.

Just wanted to say that even though these tires get bad reviews for hydro planing my wife thinks they're fantastic in the rain, and we've had plenty here over the last few days.

220$ free shipping and no tax.. those are a steal!
They are good tires just mostly unheard of in North America

There is also 2 different types of wet handling

The actual traction which is a function of the tread compound

and the hydroplaning resistance which is mainly determined by the tread pattern and depth.

Yeah, when I bought them I think I paid ~$70/tire including shipping.

The only thing I don't like is that it looks like the tread siping isn't full depth. It might be, and I just can't see it -- if the siping isn't full depth I would understand as these tires have great steering response, and I really don't think you could get the kind of handling these tires have with full-depth siping.

Even if I had to order a set every year I still can't complain if they're 90% as good as a snow tire in snow/slush. That's the whole reason I bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back