Took a scenic drive over the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it sad I knew you were driving a Chrysler V8 before I looked at your signature?

Looks like a fun drive.

*We literally have nothing that cool in here. It is pretty hilly here, but you go west or east and it is flat. About 20 miles south, it is very low geographically and there are quite a few places with limestone popping through the dirt. They have a few waterfalls too, but that pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is it sad I knew you were driving a Chrysler V8 before I looked at your signature?

Looks like a fun drive.

Maybe a little, but they definitely have their sound. Close to an old small block Chevy, but not quite the same. The video seems to smooth out the sound a little compared to hearing it in person though.

It's definitely a fun drive, lots of great roads in that area (and was barely out of my way returning from my Thanksgiving travels!) Sadly, there's no roads like that up around Rochester, so I have to enjoy the ones down there every time I'm in the area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

That's not sad, that's *beautiful*. :)

Its funny how the different makes and different engines within makes have their own unique sound- more in the old days, but even today it persists a little. Sometimes the explanation is obvious (smallblock Fords have a different port pattern and firing order than Gm/Mopar), and yet the difference between a smallblock Chevy and a smallblock Mopar is just as evident as the difference between either of those and a Ford, and the reason is more subtle since the layouts are nearly identical (port, firing order, etc.). Comes down to cam more than anything else, IMO. Mopars had faster-lift cams for a given duration than Chevy because of their bigger diameter lifters.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Mopars had faster-lift cams for a given duration than Chevy because of their bigger diameter lifters.

And the cam in mine (a Comp 20-744-9) exaggerates this a bit, as it has pretty fast lift rates for a hydraulic roller setup and the 1.7 rockers (compared to 1.6 stock) added on top of that make it even faster. And it runs more total lift than a typical old-school SBC cam too (.512" at the valves).

The bigger exhaust ports in the heads compared to a lot of the old SBCs change the tone a little too.

I took this video a few months ago that gives a better idea of what it sounds like (camera on the back bumper):

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back