Burglar Dies in Chimney After Owner Starts Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/suspected-burglar-dies-in-chimney-after-homeowner-lights-fire/

Quote:
FRESNO, Calif. -- Authorities say a suspected burglar who became stuck in the chimney of a Central California home died after the homeowner lit a fire in the fireplace.

Authorities said a homeowner in the rural town of Huron heard someone scream after lighting a fire in his fireplace Saturday afternoon and alerted authorities.

"He had tried to light a fire in his fireplace and he had heard somebody calling out for help in the chimney," said Jake Jensen with the Fresno County Sheriffs Office to CBS affiliate KGPE.

Fresno County Sheriff's spokesman Tony Botti said an autopsy on Sunday concluded that 19-year-old Cody Caldwell died of smoke inhalation and burns.

"Don't have any idea how long he had been in there, the homeowner noticed some of his stuff had been rummaged through," said Jensen to KGPE. "He thinks the guy did get into the chimney last night."

When the homeowner realized a person was stuck in the chimney, he extinguished the fire.

Lt. Brandon Pursell said Caldwell was responsive when firefighters smashed the chimney to get him out, but when they got to the young man he died.

Deputies told KGPE that there had been other break-in's in the neighborhood recently, but they didn't know if the suspect was responsible for those crimes.

"I've been a deputy for 17 years now and I've never seen anything like this," said Jensen.

"Sure, I'll call the Fire Department.........right after I eat this sandwich."
grin.gif

In all seriousness, the burglar was probably trying to stay quiet so as not to be found out, and that very act likely did him in. Trapped in a chute of smoke from a lit, and then an extinguished fire with no oxygen and plenty of poison, he likely didn't stand a chance even with the fire being immediately put out.

I hope his insurance will cover reconstruction of the chimney through his break-in policy.

Proof again that stupid can't be fixed.

Someone did right a song about this kind of situation. I think the title is "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire".

Kinda like those yahoos in Texas who stole a guy's pig and got up to 100mph+ during their getaway.

They were both killed and the report said the pig was not hurt. That was likely added to make me feel even better.

What bothers me is that scum like this probably have kids and a wretched "wife" somewhere. Kira

I think this is pretty common. Kids think that Santa comes down chimneys, but most people can't fit down one, there normally just isn't enough room.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Since some folks think this is justified why not cut hands off thieves like the nuts in the middle east?

For starters, it would nearly guarantee a lifetime of some sort of welfare payments from the government...

Call me cynical, but I HIGHLY doubt that fire was set accidentally. More likely, the homeowner was fed up with criminals stealing his stuff, heard the stuck burglar screaming for help from the chimney, and set a fire to teach him a lesson. We will never know, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back