Modding your car

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I like to tinker always have. I like to personalize as well.
I've been mulling over the idea of doing a few minor things to my dart.
I've gathered that the factory exhaust system is probably pretty efficient however maybe a high flow muffler ?
I've thought of a cat back system but unless I was to do the manifold and everything would that make a big difference over just doing the muffler?
A Cai I generally don't like them as they let in more dirt but are they really anymore efficient and is there a way to make the system more efficient than it already is? Basically I don't mind minor upgrades that just kinda make it "mine" but I don't want to lose reliability and surely don't want to hurt performance. Any opinions? Don't attack me please I just enjoy making the car a little unique and I like to tinker.
smile.gif

I plan a few things (tasteful/more for handling) for my old cav. Most of it will be in upgrades to what it has now.

Though I would wait a while until the car is closer to being paid off so you should not have issues at the dealership.....

The largest question is will the mods be effective for your vehicle? Some have very low hp/dollar returns.

Do a lot of research on the forums that deal spcifically with your vehicle.

On a new car like yours, the most I would do is tint the windows for now. When u need new tires eventually, get new wheels too. No need for a new muffler unless u want louder.

I like the window tint idea if the cops in your area won't harass you about it.

I've put sports exhaust systems on various cars over the years, and always wished I hadn't done it - the droning noise on long drives becomes annoying very quickly, and I never noticed any real power increase. Same with cold air intakes - they "sound" powerful, but that's about it.

Personally, I think you're better off putting on a nice set of alloy wheels with quality rubber, and some lowered suspension. That way the car looks better, and handles better too
smile.gif

From a personal standpoint, I generally like to leave any drivetrain related modifications until after warranty. Things like suspension upgrades, etc. are doable, if you feel you need it, but with stuff like extended warranties on catalytic converters, emissions equipment, etc. I don't think it's worth the hassle if someone goes wrong, and you end up with an unexpected, expensive repair that's not covered.

If youre financing the car, the best personalization would be paying it off. Especially with the big insurance surcharges that your wife is likely going to incur from her tickets.

I generally think that mods on such a relatively low performance car are silly and a waste of money. Especially since youre running a risk of voiding warranty. Most aftermarket wheels are ugly and detract from a car's looks.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
maybe a high flow muffler ?

Slapping a [censored] cannon onto a Dart isn't going to accomplish anything other than making it sound obnoxious.

I've thought of a cat back system but unless I was to do the manifold and everything would that make a big difference over just doing the muffler?

Given that Dodge tends to be pretty generous with their factory exhaust systems I'd posit the gains from the massive expenditure of a cat back would be nothing compared to the hit on the wallet. You might gain more noise and maybe a few HP on the rollers, but not anything you are going to feel.

A Cai I generally don't like them as they let in more dirt but are they really anymore efficient and is there a way to make the system more efficient than it already is?

It is already efficient in the sense that it effectively removes dirt while allowing the engine to properly breathe. Install a restriction gauge, if you aren't seeing restriction under WOT, then changing the air intake setup is going to do absolutely nothing.

Basically I don't mind minor upgrades that just kinda make it "mine" but I don't want to lose reliability and surely don't want to hurt performance. Any opinions? Don't attack me please I just enjoy making the car a little unique and I like to tinker.
smile.gif

A big brake upgrade if it has base model brakes, upgrading to a higher level of factory suspension....etc. Those are nice upgrades that improve the car using factory or factory-style parts and will actually be able to be appreciated by you when you drive it. Is there an SRT-style brake kit available for it?

The car came with 17in blacked out wheels from the factory so no need to upgrade them and the windows are tinted. The car handles great as it is. The only area I'd want to improve if I was to improve it is hp and torque.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If youre financing the car, the best personalization would be paying it off. Especially with the big insurance surcharges that your wife is likely going to incur from her tickets.

I generally think that mods on such a relatively low performance car are silly and a waste of money. Especially since youre running a risk of voiding warranty. Most aftermarket wheels are ugly and detract from a car's looks.

Also in regards to the ticket I have already all but handled that had her make a few phone calls they're dropping the one charge but are keeping speeding ticket which is fair and aren't going to assess points if she pays fine in 30 days. All it took was 3 Phone calls. They're making it a non moving violation
smile.gif

The car came with 17in blacked out wheels from the factory so no need to upgrade them and the windows are tinted. The car handles great as it is. The only area I'd want to improve if I was to improve it is hp and torque.

Without major engine work or forced induction you aren't going to gain much bud. Both are probably a big no-no if you want to retain your warranty.

If I could do little stuff to gain even a little I'd be ok with it lol. I knew it's fine just new stock stuff is boring personalization is cool but only if it actually makes a little sense. I don't want to just throw a k&n on and be like see i did something it's fast now. Lol but if I could do even a cai and resonator delete with a nice sounding magnaflow or something and a tuner id do that maybe if it made some sense . Obviously I won't run out and do it all right now but if that was the path and the goal was a few more horses and it wasn't a crazy amount of Money or it would atleast be worth the money I'd do it .

I can't think of anything sensible that would give you a worthwhile bump in performance, the time for that was when you bought the car...they offer the 2.4 for that reason.

One modification you can try that will make your new car really unique is to pay off the loan early. It's the kind of mod you'd have to be happy with even though no one else would know, something they could not see while you're driving down the road. You'd be surprised yourself at how much smoother a paid for car will run both on the highway and in rush hour traffic. You might then be more able to afford that next car with the modifications you'd like already there. You might end up with a daily driver and a weekend rocket ship knowing that every day during the week you're getting ready for that early morning weekend ride that will tame the restless heart and stir the passion of a true weekend warrior. There would be no more silly messing around with a cheap noisy exhaust system on a toy wannabe piece of junk. When the time comes to "arrive" your chariot awaits. It's just a matter of making a plan and having a goal.

An example. I drove a cheap daily driver, the Honda in my sig that I bought with cash, and had a Caterham with a 400 horsepower Repco-Brabham aluminum V8 as a week end rocket ship. It could do 0-60mph in less than 3 seconds and could do 0-100-0 faster than most super cars could do 0-100. With that car in the garage I never had one thought of putting a noisy exhaust system on the Honda or a set of "mag" wheels or anything else. I never drove crazy on the streets or got a ticket because I knew I had a rocket ship waiting in the garage for the upcoming weekend. Modifying a daily driver is a waste of money as is driving an expensive daily driver. I'd rather put the money in a totally impractical rocket ship or desert 4x4 waiting for me and my next adventure down some canyon road or outback trail and my next desert adventure.

You can't modify hp and torque without violating your warranty which seems to be bane in your life given your lemons handed to you.

Wait for warranty to expire and enjoy it for now.

On my cars I wait until something wears out, then decide if I want an upgrade. Hard to justify throwing away good parts. Spending a few extra bucks when replacing a bad one, different story.

I wouldn't touch a new car though. That and the mods you have planned, will they really register on the butt-dynometer? Does not sound like it to me. I'd leave it box stock. Mod the Ram, its old school and ought to wake up nicely.

Unfortunately the Dart isn't a good platform to build something on. If it were me I wouldn't worry about modding it, keep it simple for a daily driver. There are countless darts around here with bolt ons and tune and they can't hold a candle to my car (not that my car is that great anyways). In fact, I kept up with a Dart with bolt ons and tune in a new Canyon at my dealership that had four doors and 4 wheel drive. It's your money, so don't let us stop you, however, the dart simply isn't a good platform at the moment for the world of hot rodding.

Last edited:
I say mod away. You had a little bit of a dry spell in the drama thread department lately. I'm sure modding will eventually pay off and the drama can continue in full swing.
wink.gif

Seriously dough, your desire to be "unique" and then when you mention what you want to do to this car are nothing but unique. Check any of the cars that 18-25 year olds drive and they all have the same things installed as you want.
I remember beating, with my 91 Chevy Corsica, bone stock, all the [censored] cannon equipped Civics of the day. I had a friend that was doing it in him moms minivan LOL.

I like suspension upgrades. Added a rear to the Focus (had to weld on tabs) and put a SHO rear swaybar on the Taurus. I would like to do strut tower bracing or something to make the Focus handle a bit better; I never drive it anywhere NEAR the edge - I am generally at or below posted onramp speed limits - but it's nice driving something that is sprung tightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back