Will there ever be 30,000 mile oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the farm ultra is 15,000, will there ever be a 30,000 mile filter?
Most cars have room for a larger filter.
synthetic media holds up longer.

Some car fuel filters (Toyotas) are almost lifetime, compared to German "change every 15,000 miles" fuel filters in the 80s.

I doubt anyone will actually advertise one as 30,000 and if they do they will have to put one of those multifold labels like on medicine nowadays for the fine print.

The real question should be when will auto manufacturers go to the 100K service interval that includes everything, engine oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter(s), cabin air filter, spark plugs, coolant, brakes and tires. Some items are already there and others could be. It would make ownership simple and eliminate a lot of service problems along the way. A warning light and a signal to the manufacturer would help to take care of anything that would need attention before 100K.

For years many cars have had 15,000 mile filter change intervals and the filters are built to easily hold the debris an engine produces during that time. The filters are almost there already. It's just marketing that convinces people to change their filter every 5,000 miles or so. If they were to make a double size filter [many cars have the room] 30,000 miles would be easy.

Packaging, cost, HP per cubic inch, HP per quart, fuel dilution, ... are some of the issues.

Filter just needs to be big enough. See the link below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3924714/Red_Line_5W30__23,249_miles__2

I doubt that the above filter was loaded much.

Why, self driving cars could be programmed to go right to the stealer at 100K, like it or not. Perhaps checking your bank account first.

From what I've seen on my xB in my sig, the oversized XG3600 Ultra is going for 20K on 2 M1 EP OCIs now-I bet on a clean engine an Ultra, RP, Donaldson Endurance, or other all-syn media filter, running synthetic oil, could go 30K AS LONG AS the engine always made operating temperature, preferably highway miles, with oil analysis confirming the oil was good for continued use. We've come a long way from the old carbureted V8s & inline sixes of 25+ years ago dumping raw fuel into the engine & not getting warm enough to burn it off, & VII loaded dino 10W40!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The real question should be when will auto manufacturers go to the 100K service interval that includes everything, engine oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter(s), cabin air filter, spark plugs, coolant, brakes and tires. Some items are already there and others could be. It would make ownership simple and eliminate a lot of service problems along the way. A warning light and a signal to the manufacturer would help to take care of anything that would need attention before 100K.

Slow loss system? Aka, just a slow burn of the oil. Top off oil like washer fluid or DEF. Could make it so that if the tank ran dry, it would disable the oil burning feature; but otherwise, going by the oil life monitor, decide how fast to burn off oil.

Not exactly sure who this would benefit though. Most dealers still want the cars in every 5k or so, if nothing else for a tire rotation. Putting onto a lift and doing an oil change is peanuts for work. And, if I need to go in every 5k (or pick your interval), then just do all the service at the same time.

Originally Posted By: supton

Slow loss system? Aka, just a slow burn of the oil. Top off oil like washer fluid or DEF. Could make it so that if the tank ran dry, it would disable the oil burning feature; but otherwise, going by the oil life monitor, decide how fast to burn off oil.

Not exactly sure who this would benefit though. Most dealers still want the cars in every 5k or so, if nothing else for a tire rotation. Putting onto a lift and doing an oil change is peanuts for work. And, if I need to go in every 5k (or pick your interval), then just do all the service at the same time.

The first manufacturer to do this kind of long run maintenance is going to sell a lot of daily drivers.

Originally Posted By: supton

The first manufacturer to do this kind of long run maintenance is going to sell a lot of daily drivers.

And imagine the "first" service cost... I smell dirt-cheap second-hand cars. You know people also wouldn't plan ($$$) for that first service either. People can't even set aside money for savings and you want them to put aside a few thousand (probably) for that service.

Say a vehicle takes the Fram XG3614, but the 2x larger XG8A is used instead.

I cant help but wonder if that ("at most") 15k filter would turn into a 30k filter or at least something close.

The more filters i see here, I cant help but wonder if the filter is limited by how clean the engine is and not its construction, efficiency etc.

I do feel anything 30k would have to be wire backed though.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back