2009 500r ninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
about to pull the trigger on this bike. Has 6875 miles on it.

I'm ok with tinkering and doing oil changes, so to me, this is the bike for me. Also my light weight (150lbs) and 5'8" height helps me get a little more comfy in the saddle.

I plan on doing mostly highway driving through the mountains and near the coast. I dont' mind the smaller size, but will I tire of this quickly? I prefer the style since I like being comfortable upright vs the SV650S I was considering

Is $3000 canadian a decent price for this machine? Still has the original battery, and tires. No scrapes or damage, 100% stock and owned by two females.

I have owned both bikes - the SV was much more stable on the highway. Night and day. Honestly the 500 is an ok bike but I bet you will get board of it after only one season. I did, and I am not a speed freak.
I like driving slowly. The SV has a great torque curve, nice and low. 0-100kms in under 3 seconds!
You can get handlebar risers for the SV if you dont like the tucked position.

The 500 is a great learners bike>:)

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I plan on doing mostly highway driving through the mountains and near the coast. I dont' mind the smaller size, but will I tire of this quickly? I prefer the style since I like being comfortable upright vs the SV650S I was considering

If you're going to be doing extended hwy rides, you might tire of the high rpm whine after a while, but I guess that's what ear plugs are for. If you like a more upright riding position, look into adventure type bike or even a cruiser. Also, higher displacement will also typically allow the engine to be more torquey down low without sounding like a hairdryer but that's personal preference I suppose.

What are you riding currently? What bikes have you owned in the past?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Still has the original battery, and tires.

So probably time to replace both.

I'd go up to the 650 Versys for the reasons stated by the others....it has a more upright riding position than the SV650S.

thanks for the replies guys

I reluctantly turned it down since I feel it'll be too small for the extended trips I plan to take.

In terms of bikes, I've never owned anything but a Vino 125. Fantastic for city use, but anything near 60mph and it's very uncomfortable and unsafe! So much fun bombing around dt Vancouver in the summer, esp with sub $5 fill ups

Aside from that I've had drama-less rentals of an R6, and recently a cb500fa.

thanks again for the suggestions guys, keep em coming!

The 500r would be a real nice bike... get some real nice rubber some bags gotta define "highway" If you are talking 2 or 3 lane interstates then bike may be a bit small but if you are gonna be off the interstate then this would be a good choice... $3000 abit high i guess... talk em down...

The Ninja 500 engine is no powerhouse at around 45hp or so. However, it was in production forever in the Ninja and Vulcan lines and is a pretty bulletproof mill. You won't win any races with it, but it will be an easy bike to ride, own, and maintain.

The only downside other than power is the styling was pretty dated even 10 years ago.

she didn't want to go lower then three.
Retail for the bike was 2700-3500 (reasonable overall)

but as mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of wringing the engine out for power, and I kinda like the idea of more tq and lower rpm's

I understand that I'll probably pay a bit more, but at least the bike I'd have, will have FI and actually be more excited about. With the 500r, it was a decent price, but I knew I'd have to dump more money into it ASAP, and it didn't feel as "substancial" as the sv650s was. Too bad the yellow sv650 has since sold
smirk.gif

back to the classifieds for me. At least this time of year I know I'll have the lowest prices to look forward to.

If you want an upright touring version of the SV650, try a DL650. Same engine with different cams for more low-end torque, touring-oriented body position. Seat height might be an issue, but flat-footing a bike on both sides isn't that important after all...

While also a bit slow, you could lookout for a Suzuki GS500F. Like the Ninja 500, the engine was bulletproof and around forever. They often go cheap and have a bit more modern style to them.

I'm wondering how the GS came to your mind
smile.gif

I agree with you except for being slow. Of course it's no track bike, but this summer it did great 2-up, with a huge top box and soft panniers all packed tight, going 140-150km/h (90 mph) on the highway for hours in 35°C/95F heat. Just need to keep an eye on the oil level, just like any air cooled engine.
Great bike overall.

Quick question... did you take the ninja for a test ride?? As far as putting money into the bike... battery might be OK... just give it a good charge... AAP battery deals would be super cheap... tires might get by, chance to shop around...

There is a pretty large fan base for those Ninja 500's. They are comfortable and moderately capable. I'd have no issue riding one on a long trip. The engines hold up well, are quite smooth and they ride very well.

Even so, the above suggestion of the SV650 is a good one. I much prefer the feel of the engine on the Suzuki. As it's considerably more powerful and sporty.

I ride an SV1000s (same bike as the 650, only bigger pistons) with the low handlebars removed and taller ones installed. I really enjoy riding it. It's not a sportbike, and I don't ride it like one. It's just a "daily driver" that rides very well.

$3000 gets you a nice motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back