Engine compartment AC problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my '89 Prelude the outside fan behind the radiator (on left side if standing in front of car) always runs if the AC is turned on and the ignitions switch is turned on (Even if the engine is not running). I can turn the AC switch "off" inside the car and with the ignition still on and the fan WILL turn off.

In other words, if the ignition switch is turned on and the AC is turned on the outside fan will run. This is regardless of the engine being cold or hot or running or not running. If I turn the AC switch off, then the fan will quit running.

This isn't normal is it?

yes its normal.. otherwise you wouldn't have AC unless the car was moving.

You have to have air movement across the condenser.

That sounds normal. The older Hondas had very simple controls that turned the fan(s) on unconditionally whenever the A/C was active.

If the condenser is the full width of the grille and covered by both fans, both fans should come on. So this may mean that the other fan is dead.

Ya'll understand the fan is on and he engine is not running, right? The AC compressor is not running. Nothing is running except the passenger side cooling fan.

I just want to make sure. I have never had a car that did this before and I had never noticed it (although this is my sons daily driver)

Originally Posted By: mk378
That sounds normal. The older Hondas had very simple controls that turned the fan(s) on unconditionally whenever the A/C was active.

If the condenser is the full width of the grille and covered by both fans, both fans should come on. So this may mean that the other fan is dead.

Are you saying they should both be on when my car hasn't been running for 24 hours and I turn my ignition "on" without cranking and starting the engine?

Sounds normal. The car doesn't know if the engine is actually rotating. If the ignition is on and you want AC, that fan will run.

OK, should BOTH fans in front of the engine be on in the same scenario? Or just the AC fan?

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted By: Gebo
OK, should BOTH fans in front of the engine be on in the same scenario? Or just the AC fan?

Thanks for your help!
Usually the AC fan will run constantly and the other fan will go on and off as needed to keep the engine cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back