Syntec 0w40 in 96 civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running supertech 5w20 in my 96 civic hx 5 speed since I bought it with 133k miles. Has 155k now. Just changed to syntec black bottle 0w40. I mentioned a while ago that I got 3 jugs for $10/ea on clearance at Autozone and said I would update once I changed the oil. I just put a few miles on it around town. Seems to have quieted the valve train noise but I can't tell if it's going to affect mpg. Spec was 5w30 but was back spec'ed to allow 5w20. Was using some oil between changes. I was doing 5k oci but this one was about 4K because I had a bit of spare time and we'll be moving soon. I'll see how the car feels during the next few workdays.

It'll probably take 2 tanks of gas to properly gauge the effect on mileage. The effect should be negligible, if any.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Been running supertech 5w20 in my 96 civic hx 5 speed since I bought it with 133k miles. Has 155k now. Just changed to syntec black bottle 0w40. I mentioned a while ago that I got 3 jugs for $10/ea on clearance at Autozone and said I would update once I changed the oil. I just put a few miles on it around town. Seems to have quieted the valve train noise but I can't tell if it's going to affect mpg. Spec was 5w30 but was back spec'ed to allow 5w20. Was using some oil between changes. I was doing 5k oci but this one was about 4K because I had a bit of spare time and we'll be moving soon. I'll see how the car feels during the next few workdays.

Civic's are pretty easy on oil. I would use what you have.

Yeah. The next 2 oci are going to be the same. I figure by the end of the interval, the extra quart or so from the 5 quart jug will be used for top off. Interested to see if consumption changes and/or gas mileage. I'm not expecting a big difference in either though.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger

Civic's are pretty easy on oil. I would use what you have.

this I have rebuilt those engines, very very easy on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back