Expanding dimensions of high shear rate viscometry

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can I make an informed decision on my next engine oil purchase if the %TVL is not stated on the container?

Brand X 10W30, max 6,200 rpm@ 2.5" journal od/150C

If %TVL and sonic shear are both known to the formulator, test results should be on the label and part of SN or CJ-4. Give us more to talk about on bitog.

Harman SSI is about the best that we can go on at present.

It at least gives a feel for how "non-Newtonian" an oil is.

I need an opinion on the following:
Other than for cold starting and flow requirement, would an engine require the same grade of engine oil not dependent of sump (bulk) oil temperature?
I'm thinking that if the oil is very hot entering the bearing cavity, it will be thinner and side leakage greater.
The oil will spend less time in the bearing cavity and temperature increase will be less.
Opposite, cold oil entering the bearing, less side leakage and greater temperature rise from both an increase in dwell time and fluid friction.

For example, if an engine bearing required an HTHS of 2.9, as long as there was 0%TVL and supply demand was met, inlet temperature should not matter.

userfriendly,
I get your drift, and they are to a large part self compensating. Higher viscosity means more local heat generation, and the average viscosity in the bearing is lower than it would otherwise have been...all things being equal.

But they aren't equal...when designing the things, you have at least three iterations between shaft power loss, flow rate, and oil heating to get in the ballpark, and a few more when you get close to find where the design converges.

Typically, and the classical design curves are all Newtonian, in spite of the additional heat generation within the bearing due to viscosity, the viscosity and MOFT will be higher.

More temperature rise across the bearing surfaces (including piston faces and the like) mean that there's more temperature to drive the heat out of the sump walls.

Not sure if the mental gymnastics make sense, but of you have a look at a couple of design curves (pick the L/D - 1/4, it's close), and the first is the oil film thickness, under constant load. Min F isminimum friction, Max W is maximum load...
r = shaft radiua
c = clearance
N = Radian per second (RPM equivalent)
P = applied load, force on projected area
u = viscosity

Make all of them constant, bar u, and see how the parameters slide along the 1/4 line.

Sommerfeld%20MOFT.jpg

versus the relationship on the side leakage

sommerfeld%20side%20flow.jpg

That is the answer I was looking for, and brought the topic here instead of in the automotive oil threads. In other words, oil flow does not provide bearing protection. Chasing the relief spring with lower viscosity engine oil increases flow, but in turn reduces bearing cavity viscosity and moft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back