Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: cat843
A recent Consumer Reports had Jeep at the bottom of the heap as far as predicted new car reliability. Hope you beat the odds.

Lol. Thanks but we all know how consumer reports and thier data collection scheme is flawed.

No we all don't. Please tell us how surveys from anonymous consumers is flawed.
+1

A recent Consumer Reports had Jeep at the bottom of the heap as far as predicted new car reliability. Hope you beat the odds.

Lol. Thanks but we all know how consumer reports and thier data collection scheme is flawed.

+1 - I think CR bends over backwards to get it right. And while they may not always be 100% spot on, they do a good job in my book.

Also remember they anonymously buy all their products including cars. So they are not looking at a vehicle that the dealer has gone over with a fine tooth comb to fix any potential defects.
Like the Fords which went to C&D and R&T from the Holman and Moody shops, or the Pontiacs from Royal Pontiac. Those were the "good old days", "totally stock", but unloaded from a trailer.

Last edited:
My wife has a 2011 JGC/Pentastar. I tend to run M1 oil in it, even though it doesn't meet the silly Chrysler spec (which ANY decent oil should pass easily, its just a question of the vendor deciding to shell out the big bux to actually do the test). The 2011 owners manuyal (and oil cap...) actually spec 5w30 so that's what I've been using... however I have some extra 5w20 that I'll probably run next time since the engine is back-spec'd.

The vehicle has been very good- but not problem-free. My Challenger, somewhat ironically given that its a high-performance vehicle, is the one that has had literally zero issues in 40k miles. On the JGC, I've had to replace the thermostat because it was throwing codes for running below the thermostat set temp, and it had the common bugaboo with the fuel pump relay in the TIPM. That was fixed under recall, but the dealer mangled a connector pin that later became intermittent and I had to find/fix it myself (which really raised my blood pressure and increased my loathing of dealer service departments). Other than that, no gripes. Best cross-country vacation vehicle I've ever owned, which might sound odd for a truck with offroad roots, but ours is a 2WD.

As for Consumer Reports- it makes great bird cage liner. The fact that their surveys are completely and totally statistically invalid (self-selected population invalidates any survey, survey population splits into a modal distribution over-representing both 'happy' and 'angry' consumers) has been discussed ad-nauseum. Waste your money and go down blind rabbit trails following their advice if you want. I will not.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Whats a Jeep GC Laredo go for these days? $40K? Not cheap.

Low 30's, depends on ginger bread added. 40K get you into a Limited,

You can't go wrong with SOPUS for your application. The 3.6L is easy on oil, the most economical thing would be PYB or QS conventionals, or maybe even the blends (haven't tried those). To date I have used Havoline Synthetic ProDS 5w-20 and QSUD synthetic 5w-30. I cant tell any operational difference between the weights. I plan to revert back to conventional 5w20 during the winter and 5w30 during the summer, more than likely PYB. Easily do 5-6K maybe even 7K change intervals no issues. With as good as oils have gotten over the years and as good as PYB has tested, it just makes sense and saves money.

Just be careful of the oil filter and the cap, the O-Ring worked its way out of position once on me when I was putting the cap back on and didn't realize it, seeped 1.5 quarts onto the back of the engine through the V (top of engine that is hard to see) and found its way to the transmission, coating it and the bottom of the pan. A bit of a mess and I still have some hot oil smell when stopping at a light or idling after warmup.

Last edited:
Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
from Buster's post a few years ago:

Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR
Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

As for Consumer Reports- it makes great bird cage liner. The fact that their surveys are completely and totally statistically invalid (self-selected population invalidates any survey, survey population splits into a modal distribution over-representing both 'happy' and 'angry' consumers) has been discussed ad-nauseum. Waste your money and go down blind rabbit trails following their advice if you want. I will not.

Please point us uneducated mouth-breathers to another source if you will, please.

Take some courses in statistics, if you want to claim a survey as quality data, at least hire someone is a CRE or CQE and randomize your sample base to eliminate bias which CR does NOT do.

CR is for people who cant think for themselves.

Please point us uneducated mouth-breathers to another source if you will, please.

OK, I never said anyone was uneducated or mouth-breathing (except maybe people who defend CR to the death in spite of its flaws).

And I'll freely tell you I *don't* have a good one-source go-to option. What CR is trying to do is a really, really difficult, if not outright impossible job- which they should just admit up front, explain the limitations of their method, etc. instead of claiming success. So instead of trusting one source, I tend to gather all sorts of sources- reviews from multiple magazines, newsgroups about particular models, and I even factor CR, JD Power, and their ilk in to a degree also, but you have to remember that CR has *often* given vehicles stellar ratings only to have to downgrade them later (though its funny that they never seem to UPgrade anything once they've decided 'its bad.') Likewise, the list of Motor Trend 'Cars of the Year' probably has more disasters in hindsight ('83 Renault Alliance, anyone?) than proven greats ('69 Roadrunner).

I run the Mobil Super Synthetic 5w20 in my 2015 Ram with the 3.6 Penastar motor. Pures like a kitten. Great oil IMO and it meets Chrysler Spec 6023. Auto Zone and Oreilly's run it on sale for 3.99 a qt quite often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
from Buster's post a few years ago:

Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR
Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

They claimed they needed two years to complete the testing. The two years has long since passed. Mobil Super is the only product of their product line that meets the spec.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

Take some courses in statistics, if you want to claim a survey as quality data, at least hire someone is a CRE or CQE and randomize your sample base to eliminate bias which CR does NOT do.

CR is for people who cant think for themselves.

It's not that CR is for people who can't think but more so a reference guide for doing due diligence on a purchase that most likely is the second most expensive purchase someone would make next to being a home owner.
I have always found CR to be credible especially when it comes to vehicles. For example CR has mostly always rated Acuras very high but recently down graded them because there have been quite a few complaints in there line especially the most recent new generation of TLs.

Ironically the most expensive repair on a vehicle I've ever had came from one of the most reliable vehicles ever listed on CR. Conversely, I've owned several "below average" reliability cars with few to no issues. I take it all with a grain of salt I suppose.

On to the Pentastar. I have on in my Wrangle Unlimited. I thought I was in love with the Honda J series V6 until I bought this. It's a home-run for Fiat/Chrysler. Originally I was going to do a syn MS-6396 oil, but given how many good UOAs are showing up on conventionals I ditched that and went back to dinos every 6k. I do wheel it several times a year so while I'm sure it could go longer, I don't care to pay for a UOA to check silicon levels. I'm currently on VWB 5w-20 and very happy with it so far. Smooth and silky.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

I have a new 15 Overland Hemi with Quadra lift and Quadra Drive 2.

It has been flawless, just took it on trip for Thanksgiving, got 23 Mpg and that included playing around in "sport" mode.

These are nice rigs with all the luxury goodies and best drivetrain.

I also have the quadradrive and lift. I'm fully loaded except for the Hemi. I love the Long range radar and adaptive cruise control! Thanks for your input - it does seem like a great vehicle so far.

Simple...it's a flawed survey only by CR readers (subscribers actually) and it DOES NOT verify that the people are telling the truth and actually own the vehicle. You can and probably do have people making up lies because they don't like a certain brand of vehicle. Secondly - what kind of sample size it that? You may have 100k subscribers and if 25 own a certain vehicle you are getting an incredibly low sample size out of an average 100k units of a given model produced. So - how can CR ever be taken seriously?? I prefer to just review several sources because CR are best left testing toasters.

Originally Posted By: harbor
Replaced my wife's 2012 GC with a 2015 last summer, and we were both impressed with the platform advancements. The 8 sp ZF tranny is a dream.

I use Pennzoil Plat, but think you're OK with any brand name syn, or dino for that matter as these are very robust engines.

Careful with the cartridge filter you use also. I compared Wix (made in S. Korea) to the Mopar, and found it to be lesser quality with sloppy glue on the end caps and less pleats.

Enjoy your Jeep.

I agree with the improvements and love the leather dash and gauge clusters and yes that 8 speed is smooth as silk even in econ mode. Thanks for the filter info as I was JUST ABOUT to order a few wix filters off Rockauto...I didn't based on your experience and I thank you sir!

I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. I know we all don't agree on the Consumer Reports issue and that's fine but I really still don't believe much of what they say but I will read and compare to other more scientific sources.

I also have the quadradrive and lift. I'm fully loaded except for the Hemi. I love the Long range radar and adaptive cruise control! Thanks for your input - it does seem like a great vehicle so far.

You think you love it now, wait until you run those ventilated seats in the summer! Best thing ever. I just got mine in August, I am very happy with it.

I think I am going to run PYB and the Mopar filter. I just can't decide between 20 or 30 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back