0w30 Quartz better for noisy tappets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Popsy
What 0W30 did you bought? Good deal!

Wish I could find some Activa/Quartz 0W30 but I can't around here!!!

Edit: https://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/To...TOT_151522.html

the price is very good! Now I have to convert in Euro and add shipping

That's the one. If you were in Swansea it's only 24 pounds to collect in person.
Cheaper than Amazon even with shipping in the UK.

I see the 0w30 is actualy thicker than the 5w30!! More like a 0w35.
Excellent!
Shame the filter didn't arrive. Got the oil, flush but no filter yet. Will have to wait until next weekend now. It's 5 degrees and [censored] down anyway.

Yes, that's why I wanted this particular 0W30! Perfect for the Smart in my sig for the winter
smile.gif

I did an OC yesterday afternoon, NOT fun when it's 5° and you don't have a heated garage. Good old 10W40 was not very eager to flow out of the jug, lol! Made me wonder about cold start...

Yes, that's why I wanted this particular 0W30! Perfect for the Smart in my sig for the winter
smile.gif

I did an OC yesterday afternoon, NOT fun when it's 5° and you don't have a heated garage. Good old 10W40 was not very eager to flow out of the jug, lol! Made me wonder about cold start...

Yep know what you mean. Next house will have a garage I hope. Dark by 3.45pm here and can't do anything during the week.

If the oil doesn't want to come out of the jug then yes what would that be like going through the oil galleries at cold start up?

Have you looked for Motul or Mobil 0w30/0w40 over there?

This was oil for the Fiat Marea TD, a masterpiece of Italian engineering with a redline eager engine (just kidding). I'm still unsure about oil in it, manual says 15W40 is ok year round but recommend 10W40 year round, even in negative temps. I've never tried something thinner than 10W40...not sure why, maybe because of old myths of oil shearing, etc.

But when I see the "jelly" pouring out of the jug, I worry.... I think 0W40 and 0W30 oil spoiled me with their very low pour point!

Motul 0W40 (X-cess) is difficult/expensive to get here. Most shops don't sell 0W40 oil, and you have to special order it. It is cheaper to get M1 0W40 or Shell 0W40 online. Motul 0W30 are most of the time low or mid SAPS products => the Total looked better!
One exception is Motul 300V 0W40, which is reasonably priced when bought online. A part of me is wanting to try it in the Colt...

This was oil for the Fiat Marea TD, a masterpiece of Italian engineering with a redline eager engine (just kidding). I'm still unsure about oil in it, manual says 15W40 is ok year round but recommend 10W40 year round, even in negative temps. I've never tried something thinner than 10W40...not sure why, maybe because of old myths of oil shearing, etc.

But when I see the "jelly" pouring out of the jug, I worry.... I think 0W40 and 0W30 oil spoiled me with their very low pour point!

Motul 0W40 (X-cess) is difficult/expensive to get here. Most shops don't sell 0W40 oil, and you have to special order it. It is cheaper to get M1 0W40 or Shell 0W40 online. Motul 0W30 are most of the time low or mid SAPS products => the Total looked better!
One exception is Motul 300V 0W40, which is reasonably priced when bought online. A part of me is wanting to try it in the Colt...

I had an old Italian boxer engine a few years ago. It did like Castrol TWS 10w60.
Nice and thin when cold and excellent when hot. It was pushed hard, high revs, dilutued oil with petrol and the boxer is a flexible block so clearances are not like modern engine. Even at hot idle it only had 10psi !!

hi brit33, i got similar problem with missus 307. year 2007 1.6 16v petrol,110bhp.
so very interested in your findings. we purchased the car in april this year and it had a tapperty type rattle on first start up[why do we buy these cars?!!!] anyhow the mileage was 83000 last oil change done at 70000. i changed the oil to unipart 5/40w in may.this oil is excellant quality as its fuchs titan supersyn rebadged. originally the engine noise lasted until the oil temp got to halfway taking about 2-3 miles.changing the oil to unipart 5/40w,the noise only lasted a few seconds!.
the car done 4000 miles on that oil,so i thought being clever?that i would change it again because i saw carparts4less had triplex 5/40w on offer with discount code for 11 quid. so changed oil to triplex and the rattle is worse!
i will see how you get on with your oil,then change mine again if it cures your car.

Originally Posted By: umbee
hi brit33, i got similar problem with missus 307. year 2007 1.6 16v petrol,110bhp.
so very interested in your findings. we purchased the car in april this year and it had a tapperty type rattle on first start up[why do we buy these cars?!!!] anyhow the mileage was 83000 last oil change done at 70000. i changed the oil to unipart 5/40w in may.this oil is excellant quality as its fuchs titan supersyn rebadged. originally the engine noise lasted until the oil temp got to halfway taking about 2-3 miles.changing the oil to unipart 5/40w,the noise only lasted a few seconds!.
the car done 4000 miles on that oil,so i thought being clever?that i would change it again because i saw carparts4less had triplex 5/40w on offer with discount code for 11 quid. so changed oil to triplex and the rattle is worse!
i will see how you get on with your oil,then change mine again if it cures your car.

From what I've been reading this engine seems to be very sensitive to the oil.
Interesting to hear your results with Triple QX. I run this in my skoda with no issues but as with you have some rattling on start up in our 307 engines.

But yes next weekend I will add the Forte flush to the triple qx and change it for the Total Quartz 0w30 (recommended by Peugeot also). Bosch filter also not crosland as it had now from eurocarparts.

I read the bottom end is very senstive to oil also, requiring you to keep on top of OCI's.
Try to compare the specs of the oils even though they are both 5w40 they may well vary quite a lot.

I can live with the rattle lasting for a few seconds but not happy when it last a few minutes as in our case.
But after 2 chats with my mechanic who knows the engine well, he has heard many noisy TUV engines and it seems to be normal but still..I think most of us on here want the best out of our engines

I'm not expecting a cure but at least an improvement for peace of mind. Hydraulic tappets with zero lash should not rattle IMHO.

Last edited:
yep,sounds like the same problem with our engines.
i spoke to our local garage about this cold rattle,he said loads of these peugeots do this and its only a problem when the rattle continues when hot.
when i changed to oil to triple qx 5/40w 3 weeks ago,i thought the noise might have been worse due to cold weather,but we have had only 1 frost and its been very mild.so i kinda guess that hard freezing conditions,will make the rattle worse?
i am very interested in your results next weeekend,to see what oil to put back in my missus car.
the rattle goes completely when the oil temp reaches halfway,but its annoying!.

Originally Posted By: umbee
yep,sounds like the same problem with our engines.
i spoke to our local garage about this cold rattle,he said loads of these peugeots do this and its only a problem when the rattle continues when hot.
when i changed to oil to triple qx 5/40w 3 weeks ago,i thought the noise might have been worse due to cold weather,but we have had only 1 frost and its been very mild.so i kinda guess that hard freezing conditions,will make the rattle worse?
i am very interested in your results next weeekend,to see what oil to put back in my missus car.
the rattle goes completely when the oil temp reaches halfway,but its annoying!.

Yes the car seems to rattle more the colder it is so def a prob with thick oil at start up I think.
Had an old alfa that only ticked when hot, needles to say 2 tappets were shot and destroyed the cams. Not good.

Eager to get the new oil in.

New oil in.
Have to test it out tomorrow.

Lichfield had a city wide blackout the other night due to a fire at the main power station. Was on BBC.

They installed 25 generators around the city to power 15000 homes until they fix the main station
Our bad luck is that we live next to a substation and they parked this house size diesel generator right next to our house and driveway to run cables to it!!!!
Didn't get any sleep last night.
Also can't hear a thing with my car running. I'll have to drive it out 200 metres down the road.

new oil in,sure hope your noise has improved.found a 5 litre bp visco 0/40w in my shed,but its several years old,dont know to use it,due to age?
if your car is improved,then probably use total oil,as recommend by peugeot.
fingers crossed for you!.

Bit fustrating today as I couldn't find time or a quiet area to listen to my engine.

80db of generator noise on my driveway and was so windy in other areas with traffic.

Well it's got good oil in now and not much else I can do apart from changing tappets.

The mechanic was aware that on some of these TUV engine there is an adjustment made on the tappets when fitted at the factory. Probably some bad QC/workmanship as he's heard the same engines sound so different. Quite often tappety.

weather sounds bad your neck of the woods! generator noise,no sleep,not very good for you.
still no news to see if the thin total oil cures this peugeot problem?
did you the engine flush first? or just oil and filter change.
i might put the old bottle of bp visco 0/40w in the peugeot today and see if any improvement tommorrow morning on start up.

hasn't cured it. Still chattery on start up.
But once down the road and warmed up I stopped and the engine was nice and smooth. Not a tappet sound to be heard. Better than before with the cheapo 5w40 from eurocarparts.

So something is causing the tappeting when the engine is cold.
Oil starvation perhaps?? I don't know.. bit annoying and worrying.

Its not an MG like my neighbours that ticks so loud when starting up every morning. This TU5 engine shouldn't.

Last edited:
Let time to the oil to clean and seeif it improves. Or try having the tappets replaced under warranty.

In the meantime I will speak with Peugeot here and see what they say. As they listen to these engines day in day out will be worth getting them to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back