How to prove shop used wrong atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
...Wind your neck in.

BTW, Whitewolf holds many patents in transmission fluid development for OEMS. I have much respect for him.

This is the only lubricant site in the world with docs, postdocs, MS, and actual practicing formulators and chemists.

BTW, did I mention that you don't have to be located in Houston or NJ or Brussels or London to be an Independent Lubricant Consultant and formulator?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I would assume that many BITOG members would agree with changing the transmission fluid out very early....there is a lot of "over maintenance" going on here.

Like I said...I changed my Dex 6 out at 50,000 miles and it visually looked good.....and 25,000 miles of that was towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer.

And I would say two things:

1. You're experience is the exception.

2. There is no such thing as too much "proactive" maintenance. You are forming your worldview around conventional automotive hype.

I have a 2012 Nissan 4X4 PRO-4X. I am the second owner.

I changed the ATF in my 2012 Nissan Frontier at 39k, a few months after taking delivery.

The physical appearance of the ATF was more like a 10,000 mile engine oil run on one of the PQIA "reject" oils. The analysis would have passed for a differential fluid sampled at 50,000 miles.

I did another analysis after the third change and it is now looking less like a disaster.

There is no indication or history that this vehicle was ever used for towing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10
sorry Molekule, I must have been a a cranky mood last night.

That's kind of you. Mola is a very helpful poster, and has plenty of good advice for all of us. Sometimes we don't like the advice; sometimes the truth hurts. Never kill the messenger.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

There is no such thing as too much "proactive" maintenance.

That would make a great signature line!

Originally Posted By: philipp10

sorry Molekule, I must have been a a cranky mood last night. Things not well on the home front.

Apologies accepted
13.gif
and I hope things improve on the home front.

The reason I initially suspect the fluid type is because I talked to one of the mechanics. He immediately said that 64000 miles was too many miles to change it and that any transmission but always have problems after you change them with 60,000 miles. Well I know that's b*******. Also when I discussed fluid type with him he continued on his rant in a loud sarcastic voice and informed me that transmission fluid is transmission fluid. So clearly this shop, which is a fairly large chain actually, Thanks its still 1985. It's a good thing the conversation was on the phone because, well, either he or I would probably have I walked away with a tooth or two missing.
Now I had my brother-in-law go to the shop with the truck and make them drain some of the transmission fluid into a container for inspection. Lol he actually recorded them doing it.
Anyway I don't know if i I'm supposed to not say the name of the shop so I won't as of yet but you would expect that they would know better. Even Jiffy Lube has basically dummy proofed there system by making the techs scan the vin number and a bar code into computer to show exactly what fluid type is required.
I have not been up to see yet but my sister and brother in-laws suggest that the fluid looks like really dark motor oil and say it smells nothing Like atf.

The shop and the corporate office will not talk to them on the phone. I just want to know how to prove if it is a wrong fluid. Milwaukee suggest it will be expensive to tell.
She bought the truck from carmax with 14k on the speedometer she's driven probably 6or 7 K since the atf change.
The shop also refuses to disclose what method was used to flush or change the fluid. And as I've said now they refuse to communicate at all now period.

When did you speak to the shop? Immediately after your sister called you?

The reason I ask is "timelines" are important here if your BIL has to work with an attorney.

I would not disclose the name of the shop as your BIL may have to get an attorney and write them a letter if the shop is failing to want to communicate with them.

Your BIL could send a sample to Blackstone and alert the crew at Blackstone of the situation and get a general analysis.

But as Milwaukee said
smile.gif
, a forensic analysis to determine the exact fluid and the nature of the failure will be expensive.

Quote:
Now I had my brother-in-law go to the shop with the truck and make them drain some of the transmission fluid into a container for inspection.

You mean the Explorer is actually driveable?

Last edited:

Your BIL could send a sample to Blackstone and alert the crew at Blackstone of the situation and get a general analysis.

Quote:
Now I had my brother-in-law go to the shop with the truck and make them drain some of the transmission fluid into a container for inspection.

You mean the Explorer is actually driveable?

BTW, a Blackstone analysis will not reveal what type of ATF was in the Tranny and I doubt it could be of any use in Expert Witness testimony if your BIL decides to file a suit for damages for misapplication of a fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
The reason I initially suspect the fluid type is because I talked to one of the mechanics. He immediately said that 64000 miles was too many miles to change it and that any transmission but always have problems after you change them with 60,000 miles. Well I know that's b*******.

Also when I discussed fluid type with him he continued on his rant in a loud sarcastic voice and informed me that transmission fluid is transmission fluid. .

I don't have anything to add other than this is why I believe that MOST shops are a bunch of incompetent and/or dishonest criminals.

Yet the industry won't do a [censored] thing to change this situation.
The auto repair and service industry deserves the horrible reputation is gets among consumers.

Last edited:
I talk to the shop as the Explorer was being towed there. Noit is not drivable.

The truck is now at Ford. Ford is saying that the transmission was severely overfilled. Both forward and the other company have a adjusters looking at it.
Ford is positive that there will be a new transmission put in at the expense of the shop that did the flush.
They're saying that this is the third vehicle this year at this particular Ford dealership that was brought in for the same issue from the shop that did the work. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

The truck is now at Ford. Ford is saying that the transmission was severely overfilled. Both forward and the other company have a adjusters looking at it.
Ford is positive that there will be a new transmission put in at the expense of the shop that did the flush.
They're saying that this is the third vehicle this year at this particular Ford dealership that was brought in for the same issue from the shop that did the work. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Who's going to pay Ford if it is out of warranty?

It sounds as if this "shop" needs to be reported to the BBB.

Who's going to pay Ford if it is out of warranty?

It sounds as if this "shop" needs to be reported to the BBB.

We have had this happen a few times. We, the dealer, send the bill to the shop. If they are lucky, they get their wholesale price break.

Ouch.

If it was grossly overfilled, was there indication of issue in the miles prior? It was driven for 6 or 7k, right?

Am curious if there was any indication something was amiss, or if it just up and quit on a long drive. Anyhow, it looks like the OP's family member may be getting this fixed for free, albeit at some inconvenience.

Sisters had her
fluid changed at a supposedly reputable shop. It is on the side of road now with a dead transmission.
Can we tell if the shop used the right atf?
It's a 2014 explorer with 64000 miles

At 64K the automatic transmission died? No way was it the fluid.

Both Ford and the third d party confirmed that the shop over filled the transmission by a lot.
The transmission is being replaced right now at the shops expense.
Of course the shop denied and refused to admit responsibility for a while and then offered to pay half and finally have accepted responsibility for the whole thing.
The explorer should be back on the road in a few days.
Ford is putting in a refurbished tyranny. I hope that's good for about as long as new?
The original had over 60k on it anyway so everybodies happy.

The shop is NTB I'm Fort Worth. This is the 4th vehicles this one Ford dealership has had to replace in this year from the same NTB shop so they have a problem they need to address with their techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back