Checking warm ATF level

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far do you guys usually drive to ensure the ATF is fully warmed up? I usually drive 5-10 miles at 45-55 mph. Done this on different cars and I consistently get accurate dipstick readings after a fluid change. I tried just idling in place while shifting through the gears in the past but couldn't get true readings.

OE ATF temperature gauge in the GMC shows heavy throttle (with attendant slip) and stop and go gets things up to 'normal' -level check- ~180°F temp.

Takes 4-8 miles before stabilization on warming to 'final' heat. Cools more slowly than it heats, of course.
Light highway loafing typically reads ~50°F less than aforementioned conditions.

I found according to transmission temp gauge it takes about 15 miles [ambient temp of 40F] on the highway for my transmission to reach 175F. That's what I consider normal based on the readings I've been getting. I bought one of the dipsticks used to check Chrysler ATF and compare it to a chart and get the correct level based on the temperature. That gives me a spot on fool proof way of checking the ATF level now.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
..check Chrysler ATF and compare it to a chart and get the correct level based on the temperature.
That gives me a spot on fool proof way of checking the ATF level now.

wink.gif

If this question is for your Hondas, try the following:

Quote:

ATF Level Check

NOTE: Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.

Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on).
Park the vehicle on level ground, and turn the engine off.
NOTE: Check the fluid level within 60 - 90 seconds after turning the engine off.

It is important to let the car idle until the radiator fan comes on once, then shut off and wait 60 seconds before checking. If you only drive the car around, you cannot be certain that the engine is fully warmed up. It often takes 20-25 minutes from a cold start, for the radiator fan to come on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
..check Chrysler ATF and compare it to a chart and get the correct level based on the temperature.
That gives me a spot on fool proof way of checking the ATF level now.

wink.gif

That's what I've been using now.

Same here with my Frontier 4.0L V6.

I have let it idle for about 15-20 minutes (with all accessories on) and allow it warm up the engine the radiator fan comes on.

It depends if you have a heat exchanger between Atf and engine coolant. If not youre better off driving it 10 miles to be sure of cir ulation and warming above 60-90C.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the Accord and I35 you have. With nearly all Nissan/Infinitis or in fact many cars. They want you to check it twice. When it's warmed up as stated in the posts prior where the radiator fan is blowing but you have not moved the car so that the transfluid is warm. Then check the levels again in the hot range after you have driven it to be enough in the hot range. You can easily guage warm and hot. 120F is like hot water from you tap that you can withstand.. unless you have reduced that temp at your water heater.... but you get the idea.

In my experience, even after doing the above I always ended up adding a bit more (1/4 - 1/3 quart) after I have driven the car a few days of it's normal commute.

Interesting input guys. Hondas don't have different ranges for cold & hot on their dipsticks. I've noticed Honda ATF doesn't expand much. If I do a cold start and idle till the cooling fan comes on once (which takes an eternity unless it's 85F out), the level is 1 mm below the the max dot. After a 10 mile drive where the torque converter locks up, the level's right at the top dot. Nissan/Infiniti products are a pain when it comes to all their dipsticks. It's easy to overfill those cars and an accurate reading can take multiple hot/cool cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back