VALVOLINE PREMIUM BLUE CHANGE INTERVALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I read it is that Premium Blue can be gotten in a blend, and a full syn.

How in the world are they able to push 50,000 to 65,000 mile change intervals ?

Any input from someone actually doing this ?

Premium Blue 15W40 is a blend, & Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 is a full synthetic. In an OTR, semi tractor application, with UOAs, 50-65K should be doable. Not in a light duty pickup, though!

in a big truck(Semi), where the sump is Many Gallons, and if it's low you add oil a gallon at a time, instead of a quart, where you are turning and burning,...4-6k mi/week? I can see that interval.

Cummins, who is affiliated with Valvoline, does not recommend that type of interval even on their 15L ISX with a 10 gallon sump. But Detroit Diesel does have a base 50K OCI recommendation for their DD15 engines in OTR trucks.

Wow, I am trying to visualize that one... 12 and 18 gallons? I have owned a couple of Cummins, a N-14 and a ISX, and neither held that much. Same for 3406E and C-15 Cats. All of them got 10 gallons on an oil change. Oh, read further.. must be one of those Gulf Coast bypass filters. Those things alone take up to 3 gallons just by themselves. Thankfully the Detroit I have now only takes 10 gallons, even with a bypass filter unit.

Doesn't come often, but that's one pricey oil change.
smile.gif

Sump capacities don't always get the proper credit for keeping a healthy engine on long OCI's. About 2 quarts per liter of engine displacement seems to be the sweet spot to start on having those long range OCI's.

My Clark lift has a 4.236 liter engine, and holds 2 gallons of oil. I get 750 hours out of that sump using UOA's and a full flow filter.

My Ram has 6.7 liters and holds 3 gallons. I would get 18k miles out of that sump using UOA's and a full flow filter.

Our E350 is a 3.5 liter engine and holds NINE and a half quarts, and knocks out a very clean 14k mile OCI without a sweat.

I can only imagine laying under a truck waiting for 18 gallons to come out lol. Couple of guys did that next door to me. Filled 3 5-gallon pails, and part of another. hey had no idea what to do with it all, but I let them dump it in my bulk tank for a fee.
thumbsup2.gif

Do we have any people out there that are doing this, and doing engine oil analysis at those high mileages ? Actually doing this ?

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Cummins approved for 5000 mile intervals. Could probably get 10k. OTR is a completely different motor. As others have said.

35,000 miles. At least in their heavy engines. But even with my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel with a 2.8L VM motor and 6.5 qts of oil had a 10K OEM interval. Seems pretty lame of Cummins to have a 5K interval. But then, after getting burned on a couple of Cummins ISX motors, I won't allow Cummins in any truck I own anymore.

Cummins approved for 5000 mile intervals. Could probably get 10k. OTR is a completely different motor. As others have said.

I believe its a 5000 mile extension on top of the normal OCI. Not approved for only 5000 miles.

Again -

Any input from someone actually doing a 50,000 mile + change interval ?? Seems no one on this site is doing this -----

Do we have any people out there that are doing this, and doing engine oil analysis at those high mileages ? Actually doing this ?

Originally Posted By: NWOHIO
How in the world are they able to push 50,000 to 65,000 mile change intervals?
Was there a link to this information (perhaps I missed it)? My guess is that those engines have bypass filter systems which allow the OCI to be in the 50K range. They are most certainly using a UOA program to determine the OCI and are not simply "winging it".

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: NWOHIO
How in the world are they able to push 50,000 to 65,000 mile change intervals?
Was there a link to this information (perhaps I missed it)? My guess is that those engines have bypass filter systems which allow the OCI to be in the 50K range. They are most certainly using a UOA program to determine the OCI and are not simply "winging it".

It's from OLD ad copy:

"Designed for fleets that want to reduce maintenance costs and downtime, Premium Blue engine oil with DPT delivers strong soot-fighting capabilities with extended drain intervals. It has been tested in engines at 65,000-mile service intervals* and provided top-notch protection. Premium Blue has received CES 20078 and Mack EO-N Premium Plus approval for 2002 engines with cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). It is the engine oil endorsed and recommended for use by Cummins Inc. This formulation also meets Volvo VDS-3 engine oil specifications and exceeds requirements for Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, International and other heavy-duty diesel engines."

Thanks to all for all the input, but I still hope that someone doing this responds.

Maybe it doesn't really exist in real life !

Originally Posted By: Rendezvous

I believe its a 5000 mile extension on top of the normal OCI. Not approved for only 5000 miles.

It is. I misread the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back