Don't forget your power steering fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been meaning to do this since I bought the truck, and for lots of reasons, I finally got around to it today.

Since the day I got the truck, the power steering pump has made a terrible whine for the first few minutes when it gets really cold out. It is fine in warmer weather, but when it would get down near -10f or colder, the pump was not happy at all. My guess has always been moisture build up since you could get the noise to stop by cycling the wheel back and forth a few times.

Regardless of the cause, the fluid was shot. Very brown and did not smell good at all. I had an elaborate plan to flush the whole system with fresh fluid, but in the end I opted for the dump, fill, repeat method. After several dump cycles, the fluid started to show some improvement. And after running about two full quarts through the system, I got it looking new.

What i found was with the intake snorkel removed, the hoses for the reservoir were flexible enough to let the tank tip over into a bowl.

Worked out pretty well. I just kept cycling the wheel from lock to lock every time I added fresh fluid. One thing I noticed was after the very first fill/dump cycle the fluid came out very aerated, but got progressively better very quickly. By the time I was done, there were no bubbles at all.

My explorer has 147k miles on it, and that is WAAAY too long before changing out the fluid.

I used Amsoil OE fluid because I wanted a synthetic that came in a gallon container and didn't break the bank. I'm expecting great things, and hope this cures the cold weather issue I've had since I got it. Regardless, It can only help.

After I got done with the expedition, I did our 02 outback. As bad as the expedition was, the outback was worse! It took about 3 quarts of fluid to clean up the Subaru. Man that stuff was nasty! It too has 147k miles, and again, that's just waaaay too long.

I did the Subaru the same way. The hoses were long enough and flexible enough to allow me to simply invert the reservoir to make for a quick dump cycle.

I would have much rather sucked clean fluid into the pump and exhausted the old into a bucket so they didn't mix, but this worked.

Really, For as little work as this is, I might just do a cycle of two every couple oil changes to keep it fresh. It really wasn't much work at all in the end.

I never did this before on a vehicle, but started doing so also (bitog rubbing off on me I guess). I should do it more often, as I just drain the tank and refill. I know one can pull a line and do a full flush, but it seems overkill on something that isn't have problems (yet).

On these I just disconnect the return hose, put a piece of clear tubing on it and have someone start the engine while i fill it, It gets 100% changed in about 10 sec.
Ford pump whine is well known, the answer is to vacuum bleed them, they go quiet.

I don't have power steering fluid on any of my vehicles.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Ford pump whine is well known, the answer is to vacuum bleed them, they go quiet.

Can you give more details on this? I have an '01 Ranger with this issue. Thanks.

The last vehicle I had that whined like this when it was really cold was my 89 thunderbird. On that one I pulled the cap once when it was howling and it had a bunch of ice crystals built up under the cap.

I'm assuming that was the same problem with the expedition, but it could be something else. I'll be interested to see if it still does it once it gets really cold.

I really wanted to do like Trav above said, but after almost a half hour of messing with the hoses trying to get them off, it was time for a different approach. Better to go for second best and get it done than to mess with it all day and get no where.

I always tell people to do their PS fluid when they do their transmission fluid - presuming that's being done regularly!

If the inlet/outlet hoses are low on the reservoir, this is a good, simple way to flush it all over at once with little old/new fluid mixing and no special tools:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3r...ice-needed.html

After doing that once, pumping out the reservoir and refilling every 30k is my preferred maintenance. I use Valvoline MaxLife with great success on a number of vehicles' PS system.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: Trav

Can you give more details on this? I have an '01 Ranger with this issue. Thanks.

Sure. Make this little tool for hand held vacuum pump, its a rubber stopper from the hardware store and a piece of 1/4" hard nylon tubing cut one end with a slash tip to allow it to go through the stopper easier.
Drill a hole through the stopper, lube the tubing with WD40 and put it through the stopper until about 1/2" is exposed at the end. Mae sure all connections are tight and leak free.

If your reservoir has just a round filer neck size the stopper to fit snugly in the neck if it has a cap with ears size it so it covers the top of the neck completely.
If your reservoir is remote like on the fender well the next part is easy, start the car, remove the fill cap and insert the stopper.

Pump the vacuum until the pump just begins to make a noticeable change in noise and leave it there under vacuum for 10 min. Turn off the engine and let it sit under vacuum for a few hours or even overnight. You may need to pump it once in a while as the air comes out.

On engines with the reservoir on the engine in the weeds behind belts and hoses, starting the engine is not an option, just pump up about 15in vacuum and leave it.
This will quieten many pumps especially Fords or new pumps that have air and make noise at install or quiet pumps that got noisy after replacing fluid.
If it doesn't mechanical repair is indicated.

SAM_0699%20copy_zpssqgdx1uc.jpg

Is this for vehicles that are perpetually noisy?

If so, it makes a lot of sense.

I've never had that problem, but I see how it would help.

The whine you describe sounds familiar. I had the same problem last winter. Beyond the fluid change, you may want to investigate cleaning the filter screen. I did a flush and screen cleaning last winter to fix my problem. There was quite a bit of gunk on the screen and I'm convinced that was the root of my problem. It's run fine since, without a trace of whine.

I made a little video of the procedure:

Rick that is a genius idea with the board holding the 2 jugs in place. Also, i wonder if my Jeep has this same sort of screen.

On a side note, you sound a lot like Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation.

There was a surprising amount of junk that came out of the bottom of the reservoir, so maybe I've made some progress in that regard too.

Got a little whine at start up this morning. We will see what the future brings.

Finally got cold around here. -5f this morning.

The fluid change did not stop the PS pump whine at startup in the cold :'(

Time to try the vacuum pump trick. I've always wanted one of those anyway, so here's my excuse to get one
smile.gif

Just thought id report back... I'm still ahead by changing the fluid and cycling the wheel back and forth a couple times always quiets it down, but still a little bummed the fluid exchange didn't work.

I also use Amsoil ATF in the PS units in my Mazdas. In the old MPV I siphon out a little bit (maybe 100 ml) at a time, but in the 5 I can remove the hose at bottom of the reservoir and drain perhaps half a litre. Anyway, trying to remember to do this at least every other oil change.

They've never been noisy, but I figure it's got to help. As well, it's pretty easy to pop a PS hose connection @ -35 C. The synthetic definitely helps there.

I'm lazy...just use a $3 turkey baster to suck the reservoir dry and fill with fresh fluid. Do it once a week until the fluid looks pretty. After that, I just do it once each time I change the oil.

I must confess I've never noticed any difference in steering feel or different sounds from the pump, but it makes me feel better for having done it.

When we bought the ex's Mercury Marauder back in '07, it had a P/S whine. With 87k on the clock, and the fluid looking pretty dark, I used the turkey-baster method and slowly but surely the fluid looked better and better...after a few cycles the whine was gone. I did a quick "drain & fill" with every oil change after that. Car now has almost 200k and the P/S is still quiet.

I used Mobil 1 ATF in the Crown Vic and Mustang power steering systems. Both vehicles came from the factory with a PS fluid cooler... The Mustang's "cooler" was basically an extra steel tube that ran in the front of the car by the radiator.

I owned a couple of 1980s-era Mercedes that had a handy little cartridge filter that popped into the bottom of the reservoir. I ordered a couple at the dealer and the counterman looked at me like I was from Mars...I guess he had never sold one before?!?

I'm under the impression that some ZF systems have an integral filter in the reservoir, but to change it you just hang a new reservoir.

The opening on the reservoir on the Kia in my signature is tiny, so I don't quite know how I'm going to siphon the contents out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back