Apple Cider Vinegar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have started using apple cider vinegar in my recipes that call for vinegar. My friends here at work say it's healthier than regular vinegar. I think vinegar is vinegar, so I did a search:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider_vinegar

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplement...CIDER%20VINEGAR

Anyone have any thoughts on this? One other friend tells me it's good to have a little of this apple cider vinegar on a daily basis to prevent diabetes.

Post your thoughts or links to any information.
thanks
jc

Last edited:
There is a great deal of misinformation and hopeful thinking that swirls around ACV. After several years of experimenting with I no longer use it. But you may have fun discovering for yourself. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So why not drink apple cider instead?

it's apple juice with a thicker consistency right?

Some people swear by it, others say all the health claims for ACV are bogus or placebo effect.

There was a doctor in New Mexico who, IIRC was over 100 years old and still practicing medicine. She attributed her good health to a drinking a few tablespoons of ACV in water daily. I use a dash in half a glass of water for occasional heartburn. It's also refreshing to drink it (diluted) on very hot days.

The best brand is Bragg's.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

No, it's vinegar made from apples instead of grain.

I've been using it for 6 years in my salads with EVVO. It worked well for me. I dropped 40 lbs over 1 year using that as the basic taste in my daily salads (romaine, carrots, avocado, onion, garlic, red cabbage, broccoli, celery, chick peas, beans, quinoa, eggs, etc.). You need something in there to give all that raw foods some kick. I no longer use regular white vinegar other than to clean my raw veggies.

When eating Quinoa plus tomato sauce instead of processed pasta, I find that adding a tablespoon of ACV gives it just the right kick. I used ACV as the critical taste in my home grown mayo (avocado, humus, ACV, garlic, onions). I've investigated the pros and cons concerning health effects and have no trouble with it. If I buy my own grinders to bring home, I put my own ACV/EVOO on it.

I feel the regimen has helped to keep my BP and cholesterol lower than they would have been otherwise. It's not a miracle food like garlic/onions, but I feel it's helpful and alkalizing to your blood. I never got into mixing it into drinks....just on foods. Years ago, my wife used a few ounces in a daily drink to help being her cholesterol down to the lowest it ever was. But, she also improved her diet and exercise at the same time. Now she just takes 1-2 tablespoons per day on foods. I use 3-5 tbs. If you're paying attention to this, you're probably addressing other positive things in your diet too.

Ive read many claims that it helps with heartburn, energy, blood sugar control, etc.

My angle is that if you have any of those, some genetics and some lifestyle causes are to blame, and one cure all is not the answer, at least not in the long term.

We do use Bragg organic ACV with the mother (has lots of solids in it). We use it where appropriate, just like we use white vinegar and red wine vinegar.

Im personally partial to red wine vinegar in many things like sandwiches and salads. I don't have quite as much of a taste for balsamic.

No its not a cure all.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I've been using it for 6 years in my salads with EVVO. It worked well for me. I dropped 40 lbs over 1 year using that as the basic taste in my daily salads (romaine, carrots, avocado, onion, garlic, red cabbage, broccoli, celery, chick peas, beans, quinoa, eggs, etc.). You need something in there to give all that raw foods some kick. I no longer use regular white vinegar other than to clean my raw veggies.

When eating Quinoa plus tomato sauce instead of processed pasta, I find that adding a tablespoon of ACV gives it just the right kick. I used ACV as the critical taste in my home grown mayo (avocado, humus, ACV, garlic, onions). I've investigated the pros and cons concerning health effects and have no trouble with it. If I buy my own grinders to bring home, I put my own ACV/EVOO on it.

I feel the regimen has helped to keep my BP and cholesterol lower than they would have been otherwise. It's not a miracle food like garlic/onions, but I feel it's helpful and alkalizing to your blood. I never got into mixing it into drinks....just on foods. Years ago, my wife used a few ounces in a daily drink to help being her cholesterol down to the lowest it ever was. But, she also improved her diet and exercise at the same time. Now she just takes 1-2 tablespoons per day on foods. I use 3-5 tbs. If you're paying attention to this, you're probably addressing other positive things in your diet too.

that having been said, i will use some on my salads...not too much, I can pretty much eat lettuce salads without any dressing, just drink plenty of water.

Just wondering why you don't use onion on your salads?...i like a sliver or two of fresh onion on mine.

jhzr2
agree it's not a cure all. balanced diets and moderation with exercise along with those yearly doctor visits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
daily drinking it will rot your teeth.

ijs

I use it from time to time to help with heartburn (it's not a miracle cure-all, no), and make sure to brush my teeth and rinse with baking soda and water afterward.

No way it's going in my pickled egg recipes because it would change the flavor too much. I do like the apple cider vinegar on my greens every now and then.

Apple cider vinegar is one of the ingredients that the mommy blogger/alternative medicine (pseudoscience) crowd claims has some magical healing ingredients. Coconut oil, kombucha, kale, etc.

Use it if you like it. Don't expect anything magical to happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider

maybe wiki is wrong, but i gather that apple cider is:

"an unfiltered, unsweetened apple juice"

That is Apple Cider. Apple Cider Vinegar, which is what we're talking about, is vinegar, made from apple Cider.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider_vinegar

"It is made by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid. Bacteria and yeast are added to the liquid to start the alcoholic fermentation process, and the sugars are turned into alcohol. In a second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria (acetobacter). Acetic acid and malic acid give vinegar its sour taste"

Last edited:
Vinegar has been used for thousands of years to promote healthy digestion. IMO these days people abuse antacid tablets when some vinegar in their diet will do the job with less negative side effects.

...ever wonder why you get a dill pickle with a deli sandwich.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider

maybe wiki is wrong, but i gather that apple cider is:

"an unfiltered, unsweetened apple juice"

That is Apple Cider. Apple Cider Vinegar, which is what we're talking about, is vinegar, made from apple Cider.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider_vinegar

"It is made by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid. Bacteria and yeast are added to the liquid to start the alcoholic fermentation process, and the sugars are turned into alcohol. In a second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria (acetobacter). Acetic acid and malic acid give vinegar its sour taste"

right, my response was to shiny, who said:

Originally Posted By: shiny

No, it's vinegar made from apples instead of grain.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Apple cider vinegar is one of the ingredients that the mommy blogger/alternative medicine (pseudoscience) crowd claims has some magical healing ingredients. Coconut oil, kombucha, kale, etc.

Use it if you like it. Don't expect anything magical to happen.

It kills fungus....I have had serious histoplasmosis in my lungs and killed it off with apple cider vinegar and olives/olive oil as salad dressing over 60 days daily.

It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back