Ford Fusion blower motor keeps failing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory blower motor on our '11 Fusion began 'chirping' just after the 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty ended, of course. This is a chronic issue on Fusions/Milans/MKZs. Thankfully, the blower motors are relatively cheap and very easy to replace. So I paid ~$60 for a new FoMoCo unit and replaced it. 2 years later, the chirping is back. So one month ago, I figured I'd try an aftermarket brand, to see if that'd fix the issue. I bought a TYC unit from Rockauto, and today it began making a horrible noise and smoking
shocked.gif
What gives?

Most likely cheap, nylon type sleeves used instead of bearings. Next time before you install a new blower, try to use some lithium grease on the sleeves. It should help. Also, the moment they start making any noise again, if you re-lube, it should extend the blower life.

Edit:
If you still have the old blower, try lubing that one as it may require some disassembly. Use it as practice.

Last edited:
Does this have a cabin filter, and is it being changed on schedule? I wonder if it needs more frequent changing.

Do you have the old one? IOW, no core charge? I would certain dissect one. Maybe it's a dry bearing and an easy fix. Heck, keep one on the shelf, just swap in a recently oiled one and oil the other in your spare time...

On my prior Jetta, about once a year the motor would start making noise. In VW fashion, the motor was not cheap (at least not when it first stated making noise). I removed the motor, and dribbled oil into the bearing areas. Had to repeat a couple months later, but after that it only needed it once a year or so.

Maybe there's a design flaw where rain or AC condensate gets in?

My volvo 940 ate blower motors, but I got $16 ones from advance auto. The old ones came out dripping with rust.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maybe there's a design flaw where rain or AC condensate gets in?

My volvo 940 ate blower motors, but I got $16 ones from advance auto. The old ones came out dripping with rust.

just be thankful you didn't own a 240!

My 88 K car blower was still working when I bought the car in 2009,so the original went 21 years,I have since owned it another 6 years since I replaced it with a new Four Seasons motor.Working fine still.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
just be thankful you didn't own a 240!

LoL this is so true. I have a 240, and it requires dash removal, and seats to make it easier. It's not hard to do, but it is very time consuming.

OP, are you replacing the resitor too when you you changed the blower motor?

This scenario just played out on my Volvo 240. My blower started squealing on start up, but it did get quite after a bit. Got to looking, and I noticed my battery dash lamp was pulsing on. Changed the voltage regulator which fixed the alternator issue, and the battery light went off. Now the blower motor does not squeal any more. Apparently, if the blower motor is not getting enough juice, the blower motor can squeal, at least it did on my Volvo.

I seem to remember one of them going bad because of the rat hamburger inside the hamster wheel. A customer with a Miata has had a couple of those, all not covered under warranty, where the heater box looks like a crime scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back