Winter Project 1970 Triumph T120R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I finally got my father-in-law to give up his 1970 Triumph that I have been eyeing since I started dating my now wife. It has been sitting in his garage since 1987, full of oil with no gas in the tank. He basically just stopped riding it threw a bed sheet over it and its been sitting there ever since.

Everything seems to be there, and is all original besides the sissy bar he added, he purchased it from the original owner in the late 1970's and it has about 8000 miles on it. The bike turns over easy and is not seized, and after going through the fluids, carbs, and checking the electrical system I believe it will start. After that I will go through the cosmetic issues.

I really like the patina look it currently has and after a good cleaning and waxing I dont think i would even paint it. The chrome bits I may powder coat black or rechrome depending on how I feel it will look.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated otherwise im excited to get to work on this classic.

Don't powdercoat anything black and get some simichrome and get to work on those engine cases.

DO NOT try to test ride it on those tires! Replace w/new, before riding.
And......Drain the oil, put in fresh before you try to start it.

Go through the carbs and check the interior of the tank for rust. Other than that, it should be fun and relatively easy.

You will soon discovery why is was stored with 8k miles. They are fun, but not nearly as comfortable/smooth/reliable as a modern bike. Good handling, and a great Sunday play pretty. I would love to have one like it, to ride maybe 6 times a year.

Originally Posted By: Bzab32

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated...

New tubes and tires, regardless of how good they look.
Brakes? No mention of inspecting/servicing the brakes.
Taking a state approved motorcycle rider course
Helmet
Jacket
Gloves
Boots

Im not a big fan of driving on 20+ year old tires so those are on the list, but as it is winter in Wisconsin priority 1 is just getting the thing running, then in the spring with new tires and a cleaned up bike take it for a spin.

I was told it was in good working order when it was put away (for good) as he was expecting twins, one of those being my wife, he never got back around to it. But anyway I will find out and that is the fun part. I checked the tank and it looks good with no signs of rust.

As my other bike is a sport bike (duc 996) im hoping this will be more comfortable for the wife on some weekend rides, obviously it wont have the performance, but that's not what im looking for out of this bike.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated...

New tubes and tires, regardless of how good they look.
Brakes? No mention of inspecting/servicing the brakes.
Taking a state approved motorcycle rider course
Helmet
Jacket
Gloves
Boots

Sorry forgot to mention that, as I was just focusing on the engine at this time, yes the brakes will be gone through and replaced/serviced. They are drums and as I have read they are "supposedly better" than the early disk brakes.

This will be my forth bike that I have owned, and will be joining my 996 as more of an around town bike. With this in mind the safety items have been taken care of many years ago along with the drivers safety course. I will be the first to recommend it, as it was a great starter course and a lot of fun. Thanks for looking out for my safety!

I dont think I would want this kind of bike as my first one, as it is quarky, shakes like crazy, reliability and so on.

Those bikes are increasing in value. Clean it up and ride it, but I would not change/update anything. It is cool as it is, although I would lose the sissy bar.

Last edited:
That is a fitst year oil in frame model. Do not alter the bike from its factory look if you restore it. The one thing you could alter for reliability is to put a solid state ignition conversion set in it so you do not have to fumble with points all the time. You should also learn how to check and adjust the valve lash on these, as you will be doing it often.

I dont think I would want this kind of bike as my first one, as it is quarky, shakes like crazy, reliability and so on.

[/quote]

A '70 Bonnie was my first bike back in 1970. I never found it to be quarky but it did shake a little. Be aware that if you wind it up to 115 the cage on the main ball bearing may come apart.

As good looking as anything on the road, then and now. Wish I still had mine.

Resist the temptation to run 0w-30 in it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
That is a fitst year oil in frame model. Do not alter the bike from its factory look if you restore it. The one thing you could alter for reliability is to put a solid state ignition conversion set in it so you do not have to fumble with points all the time. You should also learn how to check and adjust the valve lash on these, as you will be doing it often.

Not so, the oil in frame was introduced in 1971.

Originally Posted By: KernelK

Yep it is the last year with the oil tank on the side, I agree with keeping it to the original look. As it is basically original and with some cleaning your there

Besides the tires, I would replace the clutch cable. They tend to break due to being sized for a bicycle. Those Amal carbs are super easy to clean up and easy to adjust. Replacing the gas lines would be a good idea as the gas it was designed to run on, has changed to stuff that will cause them to leak. Nice bike, good luck with it.,,,

This will be my forth bike that I have owned, and will be joining my 996 as more of an around town bike. With this in mind the safety items have been taken care of many years ago along with the drivers safety course. I will be the first to recommend it, as it was a great starter course and a lot of fun. Thanks for looking out for my safety!

My bad.... I missed noticing the mention of the 996 in your signature file.

Originally Posted By: KernelK

Darn, you are right. I was off a year. If he would have shot it from the other side, it would have been obvious. My bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back