Non Violent Protests In U.S.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
It is good that this protest is peaceful. There is a horrible problem with abusive cops in this country.

It all started around 40 years ago. I still recall this cop. He said during the conversation that:

"...there are only two kinds of people in the world. Those who are cops, and those who aren't."

That one sentence tells you all you need to know about why these atrocities happen.

I am of the opinion that todays police are no worse than they were in the past. Like I've said, most police are great people doing an incredibly difficult job.
So why does it seem like we see more and more cops doing bad things?
Because we are SEEING it more. It does not equate that they are doing more bad things....it's the coverage and availability of phones/cameras that are present to record it. It's not a "horrible problem" anymore than it was thirty years ago.

Here is an intersection opinion published by Radley Balko that blogs for the Washington Post:

Myth: YouTube videos and cellphone footage prove that today’s cops are out of control.

Most criminologists believe that today’s police departments are more professional than ever before. Cops tend to get more training, and departments are guided by defined rules and procedures. Most decent-size police agencies have internal affairs departments, and a growing number of cities have installed citizen review boards.

That hardly means there are no problems in policing today, of course, or that these developments suffice to safeguard civil liberties. But it’s likely that the ubiquity of cellphone cameras and the diffusive power of social media are simply making us more aware of rule-breaking cops, rather than showing that there are more of them than before.

But even if there may be fewer rogue cops who abuse their authority and use force outside the bounds of department rules, it’s also true that, as a matter of policy, police use more force today than they have in the past. SWAT tactics, for example, are increasingly used for credit card fraud and other low-level offenses, administrative warrants, or even regulatory enforcement. Use-of-force training today puts less emphasis on conflict resolution and deescalation, if they are addressed at all. The problem isn’t cops breaking the rules — the rules themselves are the problem.

They got that right. Every day police agencies are encouraging the hiring and training of more storm troopers, instead of problem solvers.

Propagation of the belief that police are a superior race of human being, and that only criminals dislike police abuses are a major issue as well.

Police agencies incorrectly assumed that no matter what wrong was done, that nobody would care or find out. They are learning a very difficult lesson right now with the protesters.

Stupid or not, the protests are working in that they're making it very hard for bad police agencies to go on with "business as usual".

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I find it funny that you are on your high horse about criminal rights yet you have stated the police officer needs to be found guilty.
IMO in this instance I have no problem shooting a man wielding a knife. The issue I see is the continual shooting once he is down and posses no threat.

The young man had a pocket knife. And I have doubts if he was really under the influence of PCP. This is one of the worst cases of police misconduct in a long time. Hopefully, their will be more charges against the cops who covered up.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Naturally, the police unions all oppose to the body cams. Slowly but surely, change is coming to the various police departments throughout this country. Civil right attorneys and activists are helping make that change.

How about we make criminals also wear body cams or cap cams?

How about we make criminals responsible for their actions?

What civil right attorneys and activists really want to do is to bypass the current legal process in order to obtain special treatment for certain groups of people.

I see no problem as well with a policeman shooting a man carrying a weapon since that is a threat to the general population and to the police officers.

But I also think force should be proportional to disable the threat, unless that threat is a terrorist.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
andrewg said:
Stupid or not, the protests are working in that they're making it very hard for bad police agencies to go on with "business as usual".

I agree. I even think most law abiding citizens are tired of the usual police response. Chicago, seems to have a "shoot first and ask questions later" philosphy. Why do the police hate the citizens they swore to protect?

And that officer is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not by the media, not by the activists.

And I think law abiding citizens are getting tired of seeing Ferguson-like looting, firebombing, and assassinations of police officers..

Quote:
Why do the police hate the citizens they swore to protect?

Why do you make that outlandish assumption? It sounds as if you are convicting all cops and accusing them of hate. That is a ridiculous statement, IMHO.

Last edited:
Mola, I think communities are getting tired of their children being killed by police. Do you really think this officer won't be convicted with first degree murder? Hundreds of Chicago police work on the South Side of Chicago without resorting to gun violence. They deal with this minor situation on a weekly basis. What went wrong here?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
andrewg said:

I agree. I even think most law abiding citizens are tired of the usual police response. Chicago, seems to have a "shoot first and ask questions later" philosphy. Why do the police hate the citizens they swore to protect?

Why do the "citizens" show such disrespect and hate for authority and because of the behavior of a few bad cops...and throw all under the bus?? The BLM group have the collective intelligence and ethics of a common barn animal.
What about the hate that citizens perpretate upon other citizens...week after week...blacks killing other blacks? Where is the outrage from the BLM idiots for that missed fact? Where are the marches and protests from the BLM in policing there own communities???
You don't gain respect from very many people when your own community members kill each other far more than the bad cops do.

Quote:
Mola, I think communities are getting tired of their children being killed by police.

And where are these parents who are supposed to be teaching those children respect for the law, respect for their fellow people in the community, and for keeping away from gangs, drug pushers, and troublemakers.

I have never seen such hate, division, and racism until OBO and Al Sharpton came into the forefront.

Last edited:
andrew, perhaps there are geographic differences here? We're talking about police who suffer from PTSD from working high crime gang areas. But we need on the west side of Chicago police who understand the community. When confronting an individual they should use a more friendly conversation & investigation.

So qwerty1234, you have now become a law enforcement or police psychologist?

Quote:
When confronting an individual they should use a more friendly conversation & investigation.

So now the police are supposed to be psychologists, interventionists, legal experts, and pals with everyone?

And it works both ways. The citizens in your area need to learn about respect and authority, unless they have been propagandized by the anarchists.

Last edited:
MolaKule said:
And where are these parents who are supposed to be teaching those children respect for the law, respect for their fellow people in the community, and for keeping away from gangs, drug pushers, and troublemakers.

They don't teach their kids to respect Chicago police because of the history. Why should they teach kids an occupied territory?

MolaKule said:
So now the police are supposed to be psychologists, interventionists, legal experts, and pals with everyone.

Yes. The police should be psychologists. And if they can't separate a kid with a pocket knife from a real threat, they shouldn't be on the force. Law enforcement needs to wake up to the fact the law abiding citizens are tired of it.

Let all of them police themselves.. Pull out the CPD and let the rounds go where they may.

I'm starting to believe that these inner people city people need to have their own rules of law and Justice. Then they will have no outsiders to blame.

Ohh and I'm sorry but this "officer' should be convicted of a least 2nd degree murder with 40 yrs to life being his sentence. This is similar to the crazy fool in S.C shooting that poor fella down there.

These incidents are quite uncommon in everyday life. FAR less then they happened 40 or 50 yrs ago. But they do obviously happen. More going on here than what meets the eye.

Last edited:
Why do the police hate the citizens they swore to protect?

Hopefully you are just
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Not really possible for a human being to think like this.... I don't think.

*Disclaimer - don't say I'm turning this thread political, it was started that way.*

This is really simple:

It doesn't matter if you are cop or citizen, black or white, born here or from Russia, homeless or the pope, Toby Keith or 50 Cent.

This boils down to people being dumb. This society caters to the dumb. "Caution: Hot Coffee" printed on the cup in plain sight and a moron spills it on themselves and has the nerve to sue the company for millions. Where's the personal responsibility? This society also has a chronic case of reverse racism. BLM, ask yourself this: why don't White, Asian, or Mexican lives matter? NAACP, you too. If someone said white lives matter, you would call them racist. If someone tried to create a NAAWP, it would be racist. A scholarship fund for white people only? Illegal! Affirmative action? How convenient. Filling a quota instead of basing on qualification. Maybe that's why some of said "bad cops" ended up in the force instead of with a psych degree. How would you feel if in a given year 90% of the qualified candidates applying to a college were African Americans with a 4.0, but some are denied to accomodate Asians with a 2.7? I know if I had a 2.7, I deserve to be denied in comparison to a 4.0
21.gif
. And we wonder why diplomas are more worthless than ever before. Extorting college presidents out of their position...? Perhaps these entities need to take a good long look in the mirror. This society also needs to end the diversity agenda. It promotes Native, African, Asian, Mexican, you name it Americans. I'm all for celebrating your heritage, but ultimately we (in the U.S.) are Americans. We need to end all the fighting and unite as Americans as a whole. You know, like the post-9/11 Americans. We were all one. Period. If only it didn't take a catastrophic tragedy to accomplish this...

For the record, I'm not "racist." I have family of all ethnicities, White, Italian, Native American, Asian, African American. We all agree on this.

Back on topic, What's the bottom line of all this? EVERY LAST ONE of these incidents are the same. They all lack common sense and put the officers in a bad place (pulling a fake gun, flailing a knife of any size around, resisting arrest, etc). It all starts with a poor decision by the civilian. Again where is the personal responsibility? Where is the common sense?

If they weren't doing something stupid in the first place, the interaction would never have taken place.

One of the best posts on this topic. Loss of life is tragic, but in most of these cases it is a consequence of stupidity, and has nothing at all to do with race.

Mola, I think communities are getting tired of their children being killed by police.

Then maybe those parents should teach their kids to obey the law, then the cops would leave them alone...

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Dave, and the city should take care of the 10% of Chicago police who violated peoples civil rights. Police who break the laws that they swore to protect are especially dangerous. They are suppose to be role models and held to a higher standard. Unless you live in urban cities like Baltimore, St. Louis, Miami, NYC, Detroit than you just won't get it.

I find it funny that you are on your high horse about criminal rights yet you have stated the police officer needs to be found guilty.

IMO in this instance I have no problem shooting a man wielding a knife. The issue I see is the continual shooting once he is down and posses no threat.

If the cop was justified for shooting him once, then what difference do the other 15 shots make?

Originally Posted By: tony1679
If they weren't doing something stupid in the first place, the interaction would never have taken place.[/b]

This is the one thing the anti-cop people always want to overlook/ignore, and it's the same in every one of these cases...they only care about the end result, they don't care about what started the incident, or it's relevance to the case...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back