Cheap basic cellphone for mom ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a cheap, basic cellphone for mom. What do you recommend?

T Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, Cricket Wireless, ...etc... ?

In my place we buy phones outright, unlocked, and then buy a sim from whoever takes out fancy.

Had a little Samsung Duos when we went O/S last year, and kept my Australian sim in slot 1, and a US Lykamobile in slot 2.

Was only about $80, plus $20 for a memory card.

I got a basic LG phone from Dollar General. $5 on sale. I use Tracfone for my service, and purchase a one or two year contract to get a good monthly price. Usually you also get triple minutes and automatic rollover of unused minutes.

If your mother travels outside the US, getting an unlocked GSM phone so she can use various other countries' SIM cards could be useful. We are considering moving to one GSM phone for that reason.

I use Platinum Tel. Any un-locked phone with some restrictions (see site) will work. They charge a minimum of $8 a month, which I almost never exceed. Great service too.

Last edited:
I have a go-phone from AT&T...works for emergencies and quick updates. It originally cost $19 years ago. The AT&T plan I have is $25/3 months...or $2/per day when you use it. Basically, 12 uses for "free" then you start going into your stored minutes. Texts, internet, etc are an additional cost. In 6 years of use I've never exceeded the 12 usage days per 3 months.

Tracfone uses both kinds of service depending on the phone. Verizon and Sprint do not work where I live, but ATT works great, and so does the gsm Tracfone I have. I am going to get something better phone wise though. For basic service hard to beat the cost. I bought some air cards on ebay and the guy sold them including the phones. I ended up with five brand new Tracfones I donated to charity. They sold them for $15 each and they had a car charger in the box as well.

I use virgin mobile have since high school $30 month unl data talk text and they have cheaper plans and inexpensive basic phones along with smart phones

Thanks for the advice.

I bought an LG flip phone ($5) and the $100 airtime Tracfone card. She needs something very basic.

Warstud,

Thanks for the HSN link, I just ordered that Tracfone bundle for me. I need a basic Android to replace my old LG Optimus V cellphone.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

My in laws just renewed with Verizon with basic phones.

They paid $40 for flip phone.

The monthly fee breaks down to $20 access fee x2 + $5 plan for unlimited text/770minutes talk + $9 tax.

They stuck with Verizon due to superior network and also rest of family uses Verizon wireless so Verizon mobile to Verizon mobile minutes don't count against the 770 minutes.

Their plan would cost $30-$35/month for a single line.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I need a cheap, basic cellphone for mom. What do you recommend?

T Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, Cricket Wireless, ...etc... ?

Without question get her an ATT/Cricket Wireless cell phone. Go to cricketwireless.com once you get a phone there, you yourself will be wondering why you have a contract phone.

You get the phone online, activation and shipping is free and the cost is $35.00 a month with autopay, includes ALL taxes, surcharges etc. Meaning the monthly payment is $35.00

$35.00 includes unlimted EVERYTHING (talk, text, data), NEVER a surcharge.
IN FACT you can have FIVE LINES for $100.00 a month ACTUAL PAYMENT.
BEST OF ALL YOU ARE ON THE ATT NETWORK BECAUSE ATT OWNS CRICKET>

We have been using it for well over a year now, 3 lines, unlimited everything, never a surcharge, includes all taxes and fees. NO CONTRACT, total payment for all 3 lines $90.
If we wanted we could add a 4th line for $10 month and the 5th line would be free.

My wife and daughter use a Galaxy S4 and I use a Lumia, GREAT Phones, great service.
For the life of me, I dont understand why anyone would use anything else if you want an unlimited, data, text and talk phone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Y_K
H2O Wireless = ATT is $27 monthly

Yes and no, Yes H2O uses ATT network but H2O is not owned by ATT. The bad part about that is there is no roaming on H2O because H2O only uses ATT network.

Cricket is owned by ATT and works the same places ATT phones work because again ATT is Cricket and includes the same service which includes free rooming. There really are no gotchas, ATT is Cricket, Cricket is ATT.

Cricket is ATT owned no contract service where you save boat loads of money because you buy your
own phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back