Another Door Stop Or Improved Paper Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if wear metals are out of line. Just saw a UOA on a Fit that had Al trending up. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

If I was going to put a magnet on the oil filter, it would be the FilterMag which goes on the outside of the can. That way, you can cut the filter open and see how much fine ferrous metal it caught.

FilterMag Photos

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Maybe if wear metals are out of line. Just saw a UOA on a Fit that had Al trending up. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

A magnetic filter will not catch aluminum.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If I was going to put a magnet on the oil filter, it would be the FilterMag which goes on the outside of the can. That way, you can cut the filter open and see how much fine ferrous metal it caught.

FilterMag Photos

either that, or spend a couple bucks on some neodymium "Rare Earth" Magnets, and stick those to the sides of the filter, maybe add a round of duct tape if it make you feel better..

Yes, the FilterMag is pretty pricey. Old hard drive magnets work good to if you have a few dead hard drives laying around.

I have had rare earth magnets (4) around my filter for the past 100k+ miles. When First installed them I could see the magnet outline inside the can after cutting it off. The stuff the magnets caught was finer than flour. The magnet trace is barely visible now at 128K. I guess the engine is finally broke in and is ready to go now.

I would rather have wear metals trapped inside the filter instead of a magenetic filter mount.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I would rather have wear metals trapped inside the filter instead of a magenetic filter mount.

I do like magenets on the bottom of a tranny pan where you can clean out the accumulated junk. That pre filter looks like it cannot be cleaned out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

A magnetic filter will not catch aluminum.

Why are you putting facts into a bitog discussion??????

I bought 4 dangerously powerful magnets from a place in the springs called OEM Parts that scraps and resells electronics components for around $0.50 each. I put them on diff covers, trans pans, and oil filters so I can see the amount of stuff in the various oils. I don't think it does anything to protect anything, it's just interesting.

The Magnafilter looks like it cannot be cleaned and adds another point of failure for leaks.
I put a hard drive magnet on the oil pan next to the drain plug.
I remove it when I drain the oil.
I figure since the oil is moving a low velocity down there it can capture more "stuff".

^^ Precisely.

You want that crud getting caught in such as way as it is easily removed. Put a strong magnet on/around your oil filter or very close to your drain plug, so the materials it catches are easily removed when you remove your filter, or drain your oil.

Ultimately, while this Magnafilter may work, at least at first, I see it as ultimately becoming a problem as the stuff builds up and starts to either form a bottleneck, or breaks loose and overloads your filter suddenly...

or breaks loose at an inopportune time, such as when your filter is in bypass. Imagine a glob of ferrous metal suddenly circulating through your engine. Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back