POLL: Which HDDEO Grades would you like more of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine load and peak cylinder pressure in late model trucks allow for 10W30 instead of 15W40.

That does not mean the GRADE is backward compatible with older engines.

I could get away with 0W16 in my Duramax by backing off the throttle during shifts and keeping the rpm a little higher under load.

The blanket statement of 15W40 being stuck in the past gets old after the millionth time it is posted.

My owners manual states 15W40 and 5W40 as the only two options for the Duramax.

My old pre-def LBZ 06 listed 10W30 as an option, since deleted in the new models.

How much of that, however, is based upon their being, perhaps, "better" choices available. Back in the earlier days of GM diesels, 10w-30 HDEO was the winter recommendation. Of course, it was often the only HDEO choice aside from 15w-40 or monogrades.

15W-40
smile.gif

I'd like to see a 5W-30 syn-blend HDEO that was easy to get.

This could be an option for cars that run 5W-30 or 5W-20; and want a stouter oil that can be used year-round in colder climates.

Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, while a synthetic and not a blend, costs significantly less from Imperial Oil each day of the week than any synthetic you'll find anywhere else at regular price, and better than most sales, for that matter. The same goes for Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, if that's your thing.

Heck, a jug of Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 is cheaper at the distributor's regular price than is a jug of conventional at regular price at Canadian Tire.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, while a synthetic and not a blend, costs significantly less from Imperial Oil each day of the week than any synthetic you'll find anywhere else at regular price, and better than most sales, for that matter. The same goes for Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, if that's your thing.

Heck, a jug of Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 is cheaper at the distributor's regular price than is a jug of conventional at regular price at Canadian Tire.

You should also have Chevron Delo 400 LE 5w30 available too?

Originally Posted By: car51
How about the synblend Rotella 15w40 I think I read about a while back

I would go for that one or for a 5W-40 synblend (Delo, Delvac, or Rotella).

Originally Posted By: car51
How about the synblend Rotella 15w40 I think I read about a while back

Don't forget Rotella T5 synblend 10w40 too, it a good compromise between 5w40 and 15w40.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
You should also have Chevron Delo 400 LE 5w30 available too?

Yes. It's a little different to obtain, let's say. The distribution model for Chevron stuff is a bit odd in western Canada, but it can be had. A lot of Chevron stuff is available at trucking dealers and service centers, and usually at a good price.

I would like to see "fuel economy" 15W40s with KV40s in the 13.2-13.8 range and HTHS 3.9- 4.2. 15W40s have evolved into the 15-15.8 KV40 range with HTHS up around 4.3-4.5.

Grades we want and what we get is two different things. I expect to see XW20s for diesel powered automobiles sooner rather than later. Perhaps a shear stable 10W20 with an HTHS around 2.9-3.1 to compliment the few 15W30s out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back