Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 with the Pentastar 3.6 and LOVE THIS truck. The required oil is 5W/20 and I want to know what you may be running with good results. My plan (unless somebody offers better advice with their experiences) is to run Mobil 1 since I use M1 in all my vehicles. This is my 1st vehicle to need 5W/20.

NOTE: Just so the people who call me GM biased can see that I am NOT biased and 2 Jeeps (78 CJ7 and this new GC) along with my GM vehicles LOL!!

Originally Posted By: Garak
The only issue is that M1 doesn't meet the Chrysler specification. Mobil Super does, I believe.

When I first read your comment I was like what? I know the super line is their budget synthetic and surely the "better" M1 and M1 Extended would be fine....but I went to the mobil1 site ans sure enough they recommend what you said - Super Synthetic!! That is so odd as I was really wanting to run the Mobil 1 EP like I use in my other cars and trucks.

Pennzoil site says I can use their regular YB 5w/20, the Platinum or the Ultra. Looks like I will probably be using the Pennzoil Ultra in this vehicle. I am truly surprised the Mobil 1 is not meeting the spec. I wonder if it really does but they just don't test or certify for it. Have to use the right oil so I am not going to risk that yet.

It is, I suspect, a legacy of the ongoing spat between Chrysler and XOM. The former stopped using XOM as factory fill, and now Pennzoil does the factory fill and service fill thing. It seems to have been going on a while, though. I don't think anyone doubts that it would meet the spec; conventionals do all the time. I think XOM is just miffed and won't bother with their top stuff.

I have every confidence in just about any 5w-20 to do the job, but it's always wise to pay attention to the approvals.

PYB, PP, or PU would be fine. If you haven't already done so, call or chat with Chrysler customer care and have them send you a hard copy of the owners manual, it no longer comes with new vehicles you have to ask for it. Read the section about oil, they also allow 5w30 for the 3.6L Penstastar as long as it meets the MS-6395 spec. It says something like 5W30 can be used if 5W20 isn't available.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
PYB, PP, or PU would be fine. If you haven't already done so, call or chat with Chrysler customer care and have them send you a hard copy of the owners manual, it no longer comes with new vehicles you have to ask for it. Read the section about oil, they also allow 5w30 for the 3.6L Penstastar as long as it meets the MS-6395 spec. It says something like 5W30 can be used if 5W20 isn't available.

You are correct. They owners manual was on a disk. I printed it out and noticed exactly what you said. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You are correct. They owners manual was on a disk. I printed it out and noticed exactly what you said. Thanks for the advice!

No problem. Nice choice in vehicles drive it in good health!

I believe 5W-30 is also allowed. In Texas (heat), and especially if you're towing, that may be the way to go. I don't know what the thermostat is set to on those 3.6's, but my son has a new Chrysler 200S with the 3.6 and his water temp is always over 230F in just normal stop and go traffic. His analog gauge stays in the middle.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I believe 5W-30 is also allowed.

It is allowed, as long as it meets the MS-6395 spec.

Originally Posted By: cat843
A recent Consumer Reports had Jeep at the bottom of the heap as far as predicted new car reliability. Hope you beat the odds.

Lol. Thanks but we all know how consumer reports and thier data collection scheme is flawed.

A recent Consumer Reports had Jeep at the bottom of the heap as far as predicted new car reliability. Hope you beat the odds.

Lol. Thanks but we all know how consumer reports and thier data collection scheme is flawed.

No we all don't. Please tell us how surveys from anonymous consumers is flawed.

I have a new 15 Overland Hemi with Quadra lift and Quadra Drive 2.

It has been flawless, just took it on trip for Thanksgiving, got 23 Mpg and that included playing around in "sport" mode.

These are nice rigs with all the luxury goodies and best drivetrain.

Replaced my wife's 2012 GC with a 2015 last summer, and we were both impressed with the platform advancements. The 8 sp ZF tranny is a dream.

I use Pennzoil Plat, but think you're OK with any brand name syn, or dino for that matter as these are very robust engines.

Careful with the cartridge filter you use also. I compared Wix (made in S. Korea) to the Mopar, and found it to be lesser quality with sloppy glue on the end caps and less pleats.

Enjoy your Jeep.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

No we all don't. Please tell us how surveys from anonymous consumers is flawed.

+1 - I think CR bends over backwards to get it right. And while they may not always be 100% spot on, they do a good job in my book.

Also remember they anonymously buy all their products including cars. So they are not looking at a vehicle that the dealer has gone over with a fine tooth comb to fix any potential defects.

Originally Posted By: harbor
Replaced my wife's 2012 GC with a 2015 last summer, and we were both impressed with the platform advancements. The 8 sp ZF tranny is a dream.

I guess the issues owners were having with the '14 models have been worked out then?

I drove a '15 Grand Cherokee about a month ago. I really liked the vehicle, inside and out. I'm on the fence due to reading many poor experiences reported by owners of the '14's...

Guys here have reached almost 10k with PYB in the Pentastar engine. At that distance, I understand going to synthetic too, but a UOA comparing the 2 would be interesting.

I wouldnt mind seeing pics of that CJ7 though.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back