Purolator core support holes are REALLY small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some Purolator Pure One filters this weekend (pn 10241) and saw that the inner core support, the holes are slits, and quite small. Maybe a paper thickness big and that's it. The whole core wasn't stamped this way, just a spiral section, the rest having no holes.

Seems like this would be a restriction especially when cold. I opened up ~ 10 boxes of the same pn and found the same thing. Opened up a few pn 10111 and found the same thing.

Forget what other brand I opened up and found again the same thing.

What's with this change? Anyone else notice this? (or am I late to the party?)

Sounds like a better design to me. I had two classics fail by pushing the paper media in around the plastic ribs of the inner core tube.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Sounds like a better design to me. I had two classics fail by pushing the paper media in around the plastic ribs of the inner core tube.

I didn't think the classics ever used an e-core.

Originally Posted By: JellyBeanDriver

No spin-on Purolator ever used ecore center tubes.

If they did, could you imagine the size of the tears? Sorry, couldn't resist.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JellyBeanDriver

No spin-on Purolator ever used ecore center tubes.
+1

Originally Posted By: Garak
If they did, could you imagine the size of the tears? Sorry, couldn't resist.
wink.gif

Seems a lot of the anti Puro stuff requires a good imagination.

The holes usually add up to a surface area that is greater than the oil passage feeding the filter. I don't see it as an issue.

Hopefully the new product line doesn't use cheap media.

I suppose they know what they are doing, but I like these kind better:
Denso blue can, not the new ones

DSCN1065_zps2fwslhml.jpg

Bosch Premium from couple years ago production

DSCN1071_zpsaymlgjfb.jpg

The Denso is better by far the way it looks to me. What I don't like about the slits is the sometimes jagged edge, or sometimes the machine may not punch down far enough and the holes are closed.

Here is a pic of the Purolator classic filter with the media pushed in thru the large holes of the centre tube. I think many smaller holes would be a much better design.

Dang, I was under the impression that Puro cartridge filters were pretty stout.

WIX seems great, but even the low tiered stuff is very pricey for me locally.

Ill just stick with Mahle/ Mann from Rock Auto.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
The holes usually add up to a surface area that is greater than the oil passage feeding the filter. I don't see it as an issue.

Hopefully the new product line doesn't use cheap media.

I should hope so but these holes are seriously small! Not sure how well I can get a photo without cutting one open but here it goes.

The slits are punched/displaced metal. That thin slit has a corresponding one facing downward. I looked at different PN Classic filters and they all looked like this.

hx6oic.jpg

^^^ Yeah, those louver slits in the center core don't look too good ... barley open.
eek.gif

The louver slits in the photos in the link below look much more wide open. Maybe they need to tweak their manufacturing process some to get the right and more consistant bend on those louvers. (?).

More New Purolator Photos in this Thread

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Yeah, those louver slits in the center core don't look too good ... barley open.
eek.gif

The louver slits in the photos in the link below look much more wide open. Maybe they need to tweak their manufacturing process some to get the right and more consistant bend on those louvers. (?).

More New Purolator Photos in this Thread

Yeah, those pictures you linked to the holes are much bigger.
I guess I should contact Purolator and see what they say.

That is some large spacing they are using on the Purolator cartridge filter. Combine the large spacing with the cheap media, and that's bad mojo. I did look at the picture album, and that filter looks pathetic.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I think the oil holes are much too small also, it seems they will be very restrictive.

Your photos of the new Purolator in your other thread looked fine - the center core slits were pretty open. But the photo JellyBeanDriver posted in this thread definately shows slits that are barely open.

I like all this talk about the hole sizes in the center tube... anyone have any dP data? Hmmmm, I didn't think so. Just because their smaller than others doesn't mean anything. Has anyone even attempted to calculate the percentage (area) of the center tube that those openings cover?

Granted smaller openings present greater loss, than an equivalently sized larger one. However I'd stipulate, that a more even distribution of "smaller" holes around the center tube is better than a few large ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back