I Have A Few Pictues Of The New Purolater Filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of new Purolater filter pictures if anyone wants to send me their e mail address i will send them so someone can post them. There are a couple of close ups of the insides looking through the mounting hole. Nothing cut open yet..The holes look on he small side.

They're easy to post... upload them to Tinypic and just copy/paste the links that are provided for message boards.

Hello gang. Here are crazyoildude a pictures. He said he saw the filter at K Mart also.

15d8iua.jpg

346pdnp.jpg

10new09.jpg

2qsbfco.jpg

I bought some QS filters for the Honda at Menards that looked identical to these. Obviously didnt color but had this same type of can and the louvers in the center tube. They also had this newer type baseplate. I actually got one old Puro style and two of the new style. If I remember Ill see if I can get some pics up later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Price is reasonable. I'll try one and cut it open around 4k miles for inspection.

It appears they have made some modification to the ADBV perhaps some backwards engineering of competitors.

Looks like a Typical Puro base plate in that size:

DistancePlusBase.jpg

D3323

PSLBase.jpg

PSL14610

Center tube is different, looks like M1-110 center tube...

I can't lay hands on one so someone needs to cut one of these for science.

Last edited:
I dont think that was the price of the new red filters she just placed it there to take the pictures she said... The oil holes look very small in the new filter but maybe its just that way in this particular filter. Thank you for posting car 51 great job!
I see the blue one duckRyder posted looks better in the oil hole category..
Im sure someone will be cutting one open soon and we will see for ourselves, filter companies know its hard to hide with the power of the internet so im sure they are all trying their best to make quality filters . I won't be buying these so soon thats for sure after about a year or two after seeing many posted i may try them again.

Crazyoildude: you are welcome

DuckRyder: I'm gonna hit K Mart Thursday or Friday as still have like 58poinrs to use. I'll grab one or two and cut em' open for the BITOG faithful

JerryBob: I love your signature, thank you

Originally Posted By: car51
JerryBob: I love your signature, thank you

LoL ... yeah, that's funny. Guess he went to the certification training class when it was passing through Colorado.
laugh.gif

The old and new look the same except for the center tube holes. They probably revised the media since they were doing the paint. I have a feeling there is a good center tube punching machine salesman somewhere, and Mann was the latest customer. I like the punched out completely round holes in the center tube better.

The louvered center tube is probably fine if the louvers cover the whole (or close to it) center tube area. If someone cuts one open, they could measure the area of a louver and multiply that by the total number to see how the total flow area comes out. I'm thinking it will be adequate.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The louvered center tube is probably fine if the louvers cover the whole (or close to it) center tube area. If someone cuts one open, they could measure the area of a louver and multiply that by the total number to see how the total flow area comes out. I'm thinking it will be adequate.

Like a lot of things, if someone has an experience it sticks. I bought a filter with the slits at WM a few years ago, or more, and the slits were not opened, most of them, or only a tiny amount. It was a super tech I guess, returned it. Now many are using the slits. The TRD and RP have slits, Baldwin, now Purotator. I like the punched out round holes and forget about the spiral it only makes a ridge to mess up the holes.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I bought a filter with the slits at WM a few years ago, or more, and the slits were not opened, most of them, or only a tiny amount. It was a super tech I guess, returned it.

Like this new Purolator posted in the other thread ... slits are barely open.
eek.gif

hx6oic.jpg

Agreed. Thinking about it, having an ADBV in the filter is probably pretty restrictive too.

The real test is to throw it on a vehicle with an accurate oil pressure gauge (most read pressure after the filter) and see if it shows any lower than with some other filter. If it doesn't show lower under any conditions, the filter isn't restrictive enough to matter.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Agreed. Thinking about it, having an ADBV in the filter is probably pretty restrictive too.

I don't think the ADBV will provide much delta-p. Maybe during a real cold initial start-up when the rubber is stiff. Another reason to use silicone ADBV in really cold climates - it stays pretty pliable even in below zero temperatures.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
The real test is to throw it on a vehicle with an accurate oil pressure gauge (most read pressure after the filter) and see if it shows any lower than with some other filter. If it doesn't show lower under any conditions, the filter isn't restrictive enough to matter.

If the oil pressure gauge is after the oil filter and the engine uses a positive displacement pump (most likely does), then you'll never know what effect the restriction in the filter has unless you rev the engine enough to see the max pressure produced when the oil pump is in pressure relief mode. If the pressure gauge was before the filter, then you could tell if filter A is more or less restrictive than filter B.

Well here is a bit of a puzzle.

All are 14610 series filters. I found the same center tube variation in 2 Yellow PL14476 as well though.

All of the white L14610 that I looked at (about 6 or 7) had the slotted tube.

L14610slots1.jpg

L14610slots2.jpg

PL14610holes1.jpg

PL14610holes2.jpg

PL14610slots1.jpg

PL14610slots2.jpg

Still no red ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back