1st time use of Diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to try this engine oil in my 2013 Yamaha XJR1300 which has an aircooled motor.
Never really been happy with the Yamalube the dealer recommends for this bike in regards to noisy gear shifts & price of this oil.

I'm now using Gulf western 15w40 mineral Diesel engine oil (this is a local Australian brand.)
Specifications:
CI-4/CH4/CG4/CF4/SL, ACEA E5/E3/B3/B4/A3-99, ACEA E5/E3/B3/B4/A2-02, Volvo VDS-3/VDS-2, Mack EO-M Plus, MACK EO-N, Cummins CES 20071/72/76/77/78, Caterpillar ECF-2, ZF TE-ML 02C/03A+04B/04C/07C, MAN 271, 3275, Mercedes Benz 228.3, 229.1, MTU Type 1, Type 2, Allison C4, RVI RLD-2, MIL-L-2104E/G, MIL-L-46512E.

This oil is Aud $ 33.00 for 5 liters ,Yamalube semi is $65.00 for 4 liters.
So far after abt 500kms the gear shift is smooth & the motor is more quiet & smooth.
We arè coming into summer & today is 38c & the bike runs great in this heat.
Good oil so far ,hope it stays this way till the next change.
Cheers

Last edited:
CI4 in bike is better than CJ4, IMO, theres more AW that acts like EP for the tranny. And some higher SAPs wont hurt, on the contrary.

I think you're golden with that oil.
In fact it was a 15w40 HDEO (Mobil Delvac MX) that maintained the best shift quality through the OCI for me.
Only problem was consumption (not the fault of the oil but a feature of the bike), so I'm trying different stuff now, but if I don't find something that doesn't disappear so quickly, I'll continue using it.

I usually look for JASO MA or MA2 (not MA1) for bikes with a shared sump where the engine oil is shared with a "wet" transmission.

Others might be ok or might cause slipping.

Here we go^ perpetuating the slipping myth again.... Any non-EC oil will do just fine. If the clutch slips, it was only a matter of time. I use HDEO in the 15W-40 flavor or Mobil 15W-50 or 5W-40 Truck/SUV.

I've used Gulf Western in one of my previous bikes, and it really enhanced gearshifts. In the OP's list of specs it's Alison C4 rated, so good for wet clutches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back