Throttle Body Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
05 GMC Sierra 100k

I had the throttle body off today. Opened up the flapper and was a very light coating of black, not enough to scrub I didn't think. So I'm looking for advice on do I clean it right up so she's shinning or leave it? I've never looked at the TB on any car so I don't really know what to look for.

And when it doesn't come off with just spray, wipe it with a clean rag. That's what I have to do on my truck.

Again, haven't done it before. So just a light spray.

Just basic maintenance is it? I wouldn't notice a difference would I?

Just got the truck and just peeking around to see what I can do.

Spray the carb cleaner onto a small piece of WHITE scotch-brite. Scrub the whole inside of the throttle body including the butterfly plate. Rinse and repeat. There should be no black carbon residue left anywhere. The inside of the throttle body should look like new and that butterfly should have a brilliant gold shine to it. Make sure you have all the sensors removed before you do anything. Don't forget to clean the compartment where the idle air control valve resides.

I'm not a fan of dousing the TB with cleaner so I spray it onto a clean rag first. From there, just lift the butterfly plate and clean it and the area surrounding it. Easy does it; no need to morph into the Hulk.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
use throttle body cleaner NOT carb and choke cleaner.. There is a difference.

Yup. I believe some throttle bodies are coated. I seem to remember my wife's old Windstar van had a coated throttle body (Teflon, I believe). It had a sticker about the coating and to use caution cleaning. I just used throttle body cleaner, and maybe a wipe with cloth to clean.

The TB on my Corolla was filthy black at 200k miles. I cleaned it real well with rags and TB cleaner spray. Used a wooden screwdriver handle to hold the butterfly flapper open.

Since you already have the throttle body off the truck, might as well clean it. What I did was take an old tooth brush and some berrymans b12, went at it. I didnt have any throttle body cleaner spray so I used brake cleaner to rinse everything. Installed the TB and the truck runs like normal. Its got over 180k miles on it. I agree TB cleaner is different from carb cleaner, but I never had any issues using either. If the TB was still on the truck during cleaning, I would only use TB cleaner on it. With the MAF, I would only use MAF cleaner.

It's your car, but my recommendation would be to leave it alone if it is DBW. I have seen (and experienced) enough issues with cleaning throttle bodies that I would not touch them unless you are experiencing an issue. It is often difficult to complete the idle re-learn procedure, and sometimes, the ECM "will not take" the re-learn procedure, and you end up having to refresh the ECM in order to complete the re-learn. It becomes an ugly situation that could have been easily avoided.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
use throttle body cleaner NOT carb and choke cleaner.. There is a difference.

You don't need throttle body cleaner unless your throttle body is clear coated.

I use and old tooth brush when I clean mine. Spray a little TB cleaner on it and lightly go in circles. After a few times of this I wipe it off with a shop towel. Never had and issue.

Also as one member said it is best to have a friend help you and use the accelerator to open and close it. It doesn't need to be shiny and new, just remove the heavy residue that causes it to idle rough/low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back