Who else lets them buy what they want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have all seen it. Somebody with a fl820 filter and 5 or more qts of 20w50. The filters tell me that its for a 4.6 or 5.4 ford that is specked for 5w30 or 5w20.

If you mention to them that they have the wrong oil for that engine they tell you that your stupid and that they are smarter than the engineer that designed the engine.

I'm done making recomendations unless asked or i see a girl looking confused at the oil section.

I always figure if they blow it up, it's their own fault for being stupid-but if someone asks, I'll point them in the right direction. Too many psychos out there to offer unsolicited advice!

I will offer input, if asked.
Other than that, their car, their business.

There is a guy at work with a 2005 Ford F-150 with a 4.6 in it. He has 376,000 miles on it and drives it everyday. He starts it in the morning and it runs all day, a lot of time idling. I asked him what oil he runs it and he said Havoline 20w50 and whatever oil filter is on sale. Usually the Orange ones. Changes his oil every 3000 to 5000 depending one how it looks when he checks it. So either this guy has dumb luck or we don't really know as much as we think. seems a lot of cars runs high mileage on 20w50, think about and research it. He said he likes it, said he bought 5w20 once by accident and it made his engine loud and he drained it out and put 20w50 back in. Just saying... Don't always think we are the smartest apple on the tree. I just kept my mouth shut about oil/filters etc.. 376,000 miles and doesn't smoke and sounds like a top. Yep, I didn't say a word.

You see a lot of people making foolish choices every day, not limited to grade of motor oil selected.
You can't save them all.
They can only save themselves.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
There is a guy at work with a 2005 Ford F-150 with a 4.6 in it. He has 376,000 miles on it and drives it everyday. He starts it in the morning and it runs all day, a lot of time idling. I asked him what oil he runs it and he said Havoline 20w50 and whatever oil filter is on sale. Usually the Orange ones. Changes his oil every 3000 to 5000 depending one how it looks when he checks it. So either this guy has dumb luck or we don't really know as much as we think. seems a lot of cars runs high mileage on 20w50, think about and research it. He said he likes it, said he bought 5w20 once by accident and it made his engine loud and he drained it out and put 20w50 back in. Just saying... Don't always think we are the smartest apple on the tree. I just kept my mouth shut about oil/filters etc.. 376,000 miles and doesn't smoke and sounds like a top. Yep, I didn't say a word.

I'd say that it apparently works for him.

You live in Florida, 20w-50 isn't going to blow up a 4.6L and probably isn't even hurting anything other than fuel economy. Now, if he lived in Winterpeg, that oil choice might result in an exploded oil filter. But he isn't, so it doesn't, so it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You live in Florida, 20w-50 isn't going to blow up a 4.6L and probably isn't even hurting anything other than fuel economy. Now, if he lived in Winterpeg, that oil choice might result in an exploded oil filter. But he isn't, so it doesn't, so it doesn't matter.
You beat me to it
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I always figure if they blow it up, it's their own fault for being stupid-but if someone asks, I'll point them in the right direction. Too many psychos out there to offer unsolicited advice!

+1

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I thought this thread was about our wives.

I was thinking that myself and in the context of Christmas presents.

Haha same here!!

FL820S is also used on the 3.0 Duratec, which is probably even more sensitive to oil viscosity. And 4.0 SOHCs, and I think 2.5 Duratecs. But obviously it's most commonly associated with Modular motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back