What's the point of using name brand oil in a dd

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is if most oil meets the Api rating and is approved why use a name brand over a house brand oil? Is their actually benefits or is it just marketing?

House brand is usually made by a name brand, but people want the big name on the bottle before it gets recycled. Having said that, the only house brand I'd trust is either SuperTech or NAPA.

House brands can be better or worse than name brands. It depends on their strategy. If they are going for price, you will have the cheapest oil that meets minimum standards. If they are going for quality, reputation, etc. It could well be better than a lot of commercial products, specially the lower tier of the big ones.

First off... Your Dart is a really good looking car !

I do think there is a difference between a house brand and the major brands in terms of the additives packages and base oils. But in terms of real world application it probably is not distinguishable in results for 7500 miles or less. Beyond this or say 8k or 9k miles is where Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol w titanium and or Mobil 1 are going to hold up a bit better. Warren oil makes Supertech for my region and I am sure its a very good product.

There is nothing wrong at all for running Supertech, Napa full synthetic, AAP full synthetic, and O Reilly's etc. Many are Dexos approved and are a good buy.

Last edited:
When name brands are available cheap (clearance, after rebate, sales, etc.), even synthetic oil, why risk an off brand? Just make sure it's got the right certifications for a vehicle under warranty.

Other than maybe transmission fluids, I don't remember using house brand oil in any of my vehicles... If it isn't good enough for a new vehicle(which is not the case), I won't use it in anything... It's senseless to worry over $5, $6, $7 or so on a oil change...

Quality oil is necesssary, any API rated SM/SN oil will do just fine.

PepBoys had $8 jugs of Havoline on closeout so that's what I'm currently using.

Since some off brands like Rural King are made by WPP out of Nebraska I believe; and its API certified I don't see a problem with it. Same with Super Tech

Look at it like this: What's the point of buying Oreo's instead of the store brand knock off? Neither are any better or worse for your health and you'll get the same caloric energy per cookie.

My question is where are you buying house brand oil? I hardly ever see any. Pretty much all oils at Walmart is name brand aside from their Supertech line. I try to plan ahead and always buy name brand oil that's typically on sale. So either it's some deal at a chain store like Walmart or an auto parts place and they don't usually have house brand oil on sale.

When it comes to certain store brands involving food items then there is a difference. Lea and Perrin's is the only choice in regards to worchester sauce. The store brands just do not have the same taste or flavor profile like Lea and Perrin's. Now I do buy the Martin's store brand of paper towels and to. They are just as good as the name brands in my opinion. Ohh and the Harris Teeter store brand of pasta sauce is very good too. Just have to find the good types of store brands. They are out there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Since some off brands like Rural King are made by WPP out of Nebraska I believe; and its API certified I don't see a problem with it. Same with Super Tech

Rural King PCMO is made by Warren Unilube (aka Warren Oil Co.) of Dunn, NC. I like the stuff and its price.

Oreilly synthetic 5W-30 is now dexos certified right on the bottle so it must be a fine oil. I was actually thinking about making the switch to store brand for the first time when i saw it in store.

I think it is a very rock solid performer. I think it is worth buying any day of the week. It ran very well in my Altima. Only question I had was availability.. The Sunoco gas station where I got my five qts didn't always have 5 quarts in stock. But hey at $5.10 a quart for an everyday price I can see why
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back