Saturn rust question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If rust starts coming up through the passenger sill, is that a sign of huge massive rust under that area? I know they rust around there, but am not sure on the extent of the problem.

There is always more that what you see. The worst area that will make the car junk is where the rear trailing arms meet the body. If that area is rusted out, the car is a parts car.

Going off memory here, I looked at one last weekend. Did not jack up to look at trailing arms, but noticed rust on the sill when I opened the door. Under the plastic step, meant to protect the paint--don't think it was coming from under the carpet. Yet.

Originally Posted By: supton
Going off memory here, I looked at one last weekend. Did not jack up to look at trailing arms, but noticed rust on the sill when I opened the door. Under the plastic step, meant to protect the paint--don't think it was coming from under the carpet. Yet.

That does not sound good. When talking about the trailing arms, i was talking about an S-series. I'm not familiar with non S series saturns.

Door sills can rust and this doesn't impact structural integrity much. It seems to be the fault of the weatherstripping.

But where the trailing arms meet up *is* a big deal, as well as the drivers LCA on the subframe. Also check the front upper part of the subframe for cracks at the brackets for the sway bar.

Can you post a picture of the rust? If you're talking about the rocker panel, it's one of the most important structural parts of the car.

No, did not take pics of the issue, and the seller certainly did not in their ad.

I thought rockers were pretty non-structural. Usually the pieces behind them are T or L shaped and give the area strength. The rocker just a curved shape to pretty it up a bit.

Usually rockers are easily patched with most any means necessary to plug the hole. Well, assuming looks are not required. When I asked my inspection shop about it, structural was not an issue, just sealed and not rough/able to get a cut from.

The inner rocker panel and any rocker reinforcements are certainly very strong; however, the outer rocker is not solely cosmetic. Actually, all of the sheet metal has to work together as a system.

Besides, if you can see rust on the outer panel, the inners are probably already shot.

The outer rocker on these is a tube of plastic cladding held on with push pins.

OP is talking about the part you'd step on if you were a 4-year old climbing into the rear seat. It curves around and down but then just stops.

Here is the area where the trailing arm meets the body. I took a quick shot on my sons 01, starting to rain so sorry for the poor photo.

You want the metal all around the bolts to look good.

Lay down and look in front of the rear wheel to see this.

[img:center][/img]

Last edited:
Don't bother with any car with rust on it that is noticeable from below and at sills. It only gets worst.....

The few folks who got Saturn's besides the standard trunk accessory of a case of cheap motor oil(they burn it) and had decent life. However the three I know ended up with subframe rust issues and other expensive rust repair and they moved on. The plastic panels are just a gimic to hide the rust lurking on the frame/body.

Good luck maybe you'll find a nice garage kept version with lower miles.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
The inner rocker panel and any rocker reinforcements are certainly very strong; however, the outer rocker is not solely cosmetic. Actually, all of the sheet metal has to work together as a system.

Besides, if you can see rust on the outer panel, the inners are probably already shot.

Looked at a 94 Corolla where much of the rocker was gone, but the inner metal was mostly there--maybe at the very bottom, at the seam it might be wicking upward, but only the outer curved area was gone. Did not think much of it. Next time I look at clunkers I'm going to have to look more closer, as now I'm curious if the inners are as destroyed as you say.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

OP is talking about the part you'd step on if you were a 4-year old climbing into the rear seat. It curves around and down but then just stops.

Yes, that area is where I'm talking about.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Here is the area where the trailing arm meets the body. I took a quick shot on my sons 01, starting to rain so sorry for the poor photo.

You want the metal all around the bolts to look good.

Lay down and look in front of the rear wheel to see this.

[img:center][/img]

Thanks, will keep that in mind for next time.

Screenshot%20from%202015-11-30%20170030_zpsndefwtaj.png

Also pay attention to the part in yellow up above/ behind the trailing arm. It will look solid but it's often just paint and udnercoating. Poke it with a pencil to make sure it's solid. Grab the lip behind the hole in the frame with your finger and pull down.

It takes an awful lot of rust for the structure of the car to fail. Long, long before that point is reached most people junk the car for combination of both visual appearance and because replacing the mechanicals has gotten expensive.

I'm sure there are exceptions though.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
our saturn didnt start using oil till around 150k. and this was on dino only its whole life

Thats the odd thing about saturns, some use oil early , some go well past 100k before using oil. Must be a lot of variability in the metallurgy of the oem piston rings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back