Pt cruiser heater not as hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk...... I'm confused honestly I think tomorrow I'm going to remove bleeder pour coolant into it and then see what it does. Maybe there's been an air pocket all along I didn't the thermostat 2 months ago or so it was summer then so the heater felt fine. Maybe we've had an issue the entire time but didn't know it until the temps dropped

Well the heater core had rust and gunk in it.
The car has 69,000 miles on it so that was a little surprising.
I flushed it with a hose and then put some flush chemical in it and let it sit for 30 mins or so then flushed it several times in both directions. I now have heat around 130 degrees. Should I settle with that on similar settings my dart puts out 150-155 degree heat. I know it's new but I'd think the pt should do closer to that to. What do you guys think?

Sounds like it still has gunk in it. At this point though I have to wonder what kind of shape the core itself is in, if it's got rust in it--is it on its last legs? How hard is it to replace?

Originally Posted By: supton
Sounds like it still has gunk in it. At this point though I have to wonder what kind of shape the core itself is in, if it's got rust in it--is it on its last legs? How hard is it to replace?

I agree. Some of the guys over on the Dodge Forum have had good luck flushing the heater core with CLR. I think they pour it down the heater hose into the core, maybe they also mix it with water. You might try that and see if it cleans it out any better. Check out posts #9 and #11 in this thread. One guy got 155 degree heat in his Dakota after using CLR:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/390585-heater-core-flush.html

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Originally Posted By: supton

I agree. Some of the guys over on the Dodge Forum have had good luck flushing the heater core with CLR. I think they pour it down the heater hose into the core, maybe they also mix it with water. You might try that and see if it cleans it out any better. Check out posts #9 and #11 in this thread. One guy got 155 degree heat in his Dakota after using CLR
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/390585-heater-core-flush.html

I've heard this but was nervous with doing this since the core is aluminum.

Well and do you have problems with calcium or lime in your shower/ house? It's regional and if your PT got lime-y water mixed with coolant at some point in its life that would explain your heater core. But if you read advice online it could be from 2000 miles away and not applicable, even harmful.

Calcium yes. At the shop we use water out of the line to fill up. I always cringe but that's the way they want to do it and the way every shop I've ever seen do it honestly.

You may have some gunk left in the heater core, but I'd still put an OEM stat in there as I had similar problems on an old Neon I owned.

I flushed the heater core again with clr this time it's now blowing 155 degrees
smile.gif

That's good to hear. Must be someone had hard water and used tap water? Those also use an iron block, I believe, so they will crud up the cooling system and deposit it in the heater core pretty quickly.

I was also going to suggest taking a look at the blend door. Friend of mine has a 2002 PT Cruiser and it wasn't making any heat after we got it running - or it was luke warm heat. Turns out someone turned the nob too far and it jumped.

Also, if you pull out the HVAC controls , you have to stick your finger in and move the cable around so it goes all the way hot.

I have an 03 PT GT and I do drain refills every 3 years with the correct zerex G05 and distilled water. Cruiser has 142K and heater is nice and hot.

Would recommend you use the correct coolant and ditch the universal coolant.

ALso agree to use the OEM stats and rad caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back