A 1/2 impact that won't break the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't look terrible, not idea about this tool but the warranty is okay. Check the specs at the bottom of the page. Still for the extra $50 i would go with the Aircat, its so much more tool.

klutch g10k

Wasn't the Mac I had an air cat I thought it was it was great but didn't last very long

No idea they may have used them from a few sources. If it was you should have been able to get a kit for it cheap and have it up and running in less than 30 min.
I hammer my 1150 mercilessly and it has never lost power or failed, the 2135TiMAX rattled the buttons off.

I looked it up I actually think it was a proto brand which I do not know much about. I just bought the nitrocat 1200k.
I plan on getting the Mac impact fixed then I'll have one at home and one at work and if works breaks I have a spare in the mean time.

I'll second the aircat 1150, i have one, and i love it. I don't know why i went so long without an air gun. It really has torque and as posted above its not heavy. A rebuild kit( i'll probably never use it enough to need one.) is $25 on amazon.

Used it to get the crank pulley off the saturn engine, these can be tough to get off, not with the aircat!

Originally Posted By: Trav
The 1150 is the one to own, its a twin hammer. The 1200 is a pin clutch style which can be a bit of a problem in automotive use.

Why do you say that?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Why do you say that?

The way i understand it is for automotive type work twin hammer is preferable unless you like shearing smaller bolts.
Its like hitting a wrench a few thousand times a minute with a hammer, it works on smaller and larger bolts equally well.
On their lowest setting torque is very low and can be further reduced by a variable trigger.

Clutch types are more for industrial use and mostly large nuts and bolts.
These produce a lot of torque right out of the gate, even on the lowest setting it can be considerable.
The force of the impacts is much lighter than a twin hammer, these rely more on torque.

You find most cordless impacts like the IR W7150 use a pin clutch mechanism it goes a long way in compensating for the weaker battery powered motors.
When connected to a powerful air motor they become bold shearing monsters, not what you want to remove rusted exhaust manifold to pipe nuts, you want to hammer them loose.

I have tried pin clutch guns over the years and don't like them, they hindered more than helped a lot of the time by just breaking the head or stud off. You cant beat a good twin hammer for automotive work.

AIRCAT® 1150 model impact wrench uses a Durable Twin Hammer Mechanism.

The Rugged and Reliable Twin Hammer mechanism creates a higher speed and faster blow per minute (under a load) impact. The Twin Hammer is best suited for all-around automotive maintenance. The twin hammer design has the hammer able to slide and rotate on a shaft, with a spring holding it in the downwards position. Between the hammer and the driving shaft is a steel ball on a ramp, such that if the input shaft rotates ahead of the hammer with enough torque, the spring is compressed and the hammer is slid backwards. On the bottom of the hammer, and the top of the anvil, are dog teeth, designed for high impacts. When the tool is used, the hammer rotates until its dog teeth contact the teeth on the anvil, stopping the hammer from rotating. The input shaft continues to turn, causing the ramp to lift the steel ball, lifting the hammer assembly until the dog teeth no longer engage the anvil, and the hammer is free to spin again. The hammer then springs forward to the bottom of the ball ramp, and is accelerated by the input shaft, until the dog teeth contact the anvil again, delivering the impact

Faster hard hitting impact (1,400 Blows Per Minute)
Durable, Rugged and Reliable
Recommended for all-around automotive torque applications

NITROCAT 1200-K model impact wrench use a Smooth Powerful Twin Clutch Mechanism

The Hard Hitting Twin Clutch mechanism creates a high torque initial impact.

The Twin Clutch design uses a hammer fixed directly onto the input shaft, with a pair of pins acting as clutches. When the hammer rotates past the anvil, a ball ramp pushes the pins outwards against a spring, extending them to where they will hit the anvil and deliver the impact, then release and spring back into the hammer, usually by having the balls "fall off" the other side of the ramp at the instant the hammer hits. Since the ramp need only have one peak around the shaft, and the engagement of the hammer with the anvil is not based on a number of teeth between them, this design allows the hammer to accelerate for a full revolution before contacting the anvil, giving it more time to accelerate and delivering a stronger impact.

“An 800 lb Gorilla”
Slower but harder hitting impact
Recommended for high torque applications

The aircat and nitrocat have almost the same torque rating, the aircat has twin hammer so its 1400 impacts per minute. The Nitrocat is 950 impacts per minute.

Right, its how the torque with which the impacts are delivered. The whole point to using an impact in automotive work is not just to remove tight nuts and bolts but to remove rusted fasteners using impacts from the tool to do the work.

The pin clutch tools make a load of toque right of the bat right from the first impact, the bolt or nut ether comes out or it breaks it off, they are very difficult (almost impossible) to control as bolt diameter decreases.
In industrial use like large flange fitting bolts and machine hold down nuts are common these tools really come into their own. They make short work of larger diameter fasteners at high torque.

Its not as simple as one style being "better" than another, they both do their intended job best.

Would it be safe to say the Nitro Cat could really mess up a hand or wrist in a tight place in the hands of a novice user?

I wish they still made the IR 231 like they use to, i still like that gun a lot. It was definitely underrated, it feels twice as powerful as its rating, I think I paid less than $100 new about 15 yrs ago and its never needed to be serviced.

Astro Pneumatic makes a 231 clone that may be higher quality than the current Chinese IR. It's not on my list because I need something quieter.

Yep that true, quiet it isn't. I like the setting and F/R switch on this gun and the guns balance, it was a great design. Powerful but not in the class of the Aircat.

Originally Posted By: cat843
Originally Posted By: Ratchetgrinder
Harbor Freight has excellent impact sockets.

The PRO ones at least

Half their impact sockets are black coated cr-v. Wrong alloy, yet people swoon over how great.

The pro versions are cr-mo, but carry a heftier price tag.

I'll rely on my sk sockets...

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I looked it up I actually think it was a proto brand which I do not know much about. I just bought the nitrocat 1200k.
I plan on getting the Mac impact fixed then I'll have one at home and one at work and if works breaks I have a spare in the mean time.

Good luck. Maybe they've come a long way in quality over the last couple of years but I've never seen an Air Cat or Nitro Cat impact hold up to daily shop use. Always seem to have plenty of power and would most likely be great for home, occasional or light shop use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back