Advice on WIFES ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so my wife got two tickets today and no argument from me she was probably driving like an idiot atleast to some degree. However she was pulled over for doing 90 in a 70 she said she was doing 80 which is what most people do on the highway she was on but I wasn't there idk. She didn't request to see the radar so who knows who is wrong or right. She also got a charge for cut in on overtaken vehicle. It's a 3 lane highway and she passed a guy who was doing 65 in the middle lane she said she went to the right lane passed him and then got back over in the fast lane. I usually pass on the left but never realized on the right was illegal ? My main question is is there a benefit having her go to court and talk to the judge and maybe get a lesser cost fine . We are looking at 400 dollars and I'm actually out of work for a couple weeks my boss broke my finger and now I'm at the mercy of the workers comp people.....terrific! And it's Christmas time so it couldn't have happened at a worse time. No argument on her being wrong but what would be the best way to go about it?

Can you afford for her to take a day off for court? If so, you little to lose other than a vacation day. Passing on the right at 80-90mph is probably what got the cops attention. Especially if she changed lanes quickly. I always change lanes gradually especially if i'm going above the limit, makes it less obvious that you are flying.

Last edited:
Ultimately, if she pleads "guilty with reason", she can explain her side. By doing so, she isn't arguing over what happened, plus most judges will work with people. Sorry to hear she got a hefty couple of tickets
frown.gif
best of wishes man

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Ultimately, if she pleads "guilty with reason", she can explain her side. By doing so, she isn't arguing over what happened, plus most judges will work with people. Sorry to hear she got a hefty couple of tickets
frown.gif
best of wishes man

Thats good advice, perhaps state the case that she was speeding but didn't realize the financial implications,that you are now out of work. Plead for the courts mercy while promising to slow down.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Hey everyone so my wife got two tickets today and no argument from me she was probably driving like an idiot atleast to some degree. However she was pulled over for doing 90 in a 70 she said she was doing 80 which is what most people do on the highway she was on but I wasn't there idk. She didn't request to see the radar so who knows who is wrong or right. She also got a charge for cut in on overtaken vehicle. It's a 3 lane highway and she passed a guy who was doing 65 in the middle lane she said she went to the right lane passed him and then got back over in the fast lane. I usually pass on the left but never realized on the right was illegal ? My main question is is there a benefit having her go to court and talk to the judge and maybe get a lesser cost fine . We are looking at 400 dollars and I'm actually out of work for a couple weeks my boss broke my finger and now I'm at the mercy of the workers comp people.....terrific! And it's Christmas time so it couldn't have happened at a worse time. No argument on her being wrong but what would be the best way to go about it?
Ask your question in the locale of the court. Where I live, if you show up for court, the D.A. will pull you aside and have a discussion with you offering a reduction for a plea. All judges are different and D.A.'s the same. Ask locally and find out how they operate, then make your decision.

When I got a speeding ticket, I did not try to deny that I was speeding but I did show up in court. If the cop does not appear, the ticket is usually dismissed. In my case the cop appeared and I pleaded guilty but stated that I would learn a lot more and be a safer driver if the judge would sentence me to traffic school instead of paying a fine. I had gone to traffic school before and did not qualify for traffic school on this citation. I said to the judge that by paying a fine, I would not get any driving education and would probably re-offend the same traffic rules again as money does not affect my judgement to speed. The judge responded that I had been to traffic school before and obviously did not learn my lesson. I countered that I had been to traffic school for not completely stopping at a stop sign which is a different violation and I did not ever get a stop sign citation again. The judge then dismissed the fine and sentenced me to traffic school.

There are lawyers that specialize in traffic ticket reduction and dismissal. They are usually pretty inexpensive. In the DFW area getting a $100 lawyer and asking for jury trial will almost always get a trivial traffic case dismissed due to huge backlog of cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
There are lawyers that specialize in traffic ticket reduction and dismissal. They are usually pretty inexpensive. In the DFW area getting a $100 lawyer and asking for jury trial will almost always get a trivial traffic case dismissed due to huge backlog of cases.

Yep. + 1000%

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The cop didn't show her the radar? If she takes it to court,It'll get throw out.

She didn't ask to see it but no he didn't show her. She did say she was doing 80 but not 90 but he said she was wrong.

Get a lawyer. Mine was 250 bucks but worth it. My ticket was a 70 in a 60 and following too close. That was 6 years ago. Total fine was $310.00.
He subpoenaed the Officer and the person who calibrates the Radar. Neither showed, ticket was dismissed.

Can't she go to court without a lawyer and just tell them what she would like ?

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
frown.gif
best of wishes man

Be careful how you word it. You want to claim no contest or say I have no evidence to dispute the case and asking for leniency. Agree that you need to be careful that your "Reason" doesn't argue that you did it or not.

If you just claim you didn't do it even if you plead guilty to save time and get out of there, your reason may override your plea. I was at a court once and a guy wanted to plead guilty to shoplifting, but had a "reason". And he told a story of what happened saying it was a misunderstanding and he accidentally had the item in his bag when walking out. The judge ruled that the story he told and reason was actually claiming innocence, so ruled to record this as a "Not guilty" plea and schedule him for trial.

If you're thinking the judge was being an a-hole, another aspect was the guy spoke English well enough but you can tell it was not his primary language. It was the judge's perogative not to accidentally sentence someone who is not a lawyer to fully understand what guilty means when the worded story of what happened is claiming innocence.

Last edited:
Most of the time, when you get two tickets, the prosecutor will dismiss one in exchange for paying the other.

But still, I'd get a lawyer.

Usually on the day of court you can plead guilty anyway and pay the fine you were always going to pay. But that could be six months from now instead of now, and it will also delay the resultant insurance rate hikes etc. Everything goes through later, instead of now. Unless you're in some Law & Order paradise where they add court costs.

What was she in such a hurry for? I'm sure it was important.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Advice on WIFES ticket

If her driving skills are so poor that she manages to get two tickets in a single day, then the best advice is to take her car, keys and license away. She's not responsible enough to be behind the wheel and she is a hazard to the rest of the motoring public. At some point she will cause a serious accident if her habits don't change.

Perhaps going without a car for a month or two (or more) will teach her that her irresponsible, childish behavior behind the wheel has consequences.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Usually on the day of court you can plead guilty anyway and pay the fine you were always going to pay. But that could be six months from now instead of now, and it will also delay the resultant insurance rate hikes etc. Everything goes through later, instead of now. Unless you're in some Law & Order paradise where they add court costs.

What was she in such a hurry for? I'm sure it was important.

It wasn't important at all and she could have done the speed limit and been on time! Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back