Curious, engine tick gone with different filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our '04 Wrangler (2.4L 4-banger) had a knock/tick on startup for the last 2 OCIs which went away once warmed up. Those OCIs were with an Amsoil filter (EA15K51).

Last oil change, used a Fram OCOD (PH3614) since this will be a short interval to check on the wear metals, which were elevated last time. NO tick on startup.

Same oil, Amsoil SS 0w30, was used with both changes.

Anyone have any theories or statistics on these two filters that would shed some light on why this may be occurring?

Last edited:
The Amsoil filter that caused the tick probably had a leaky anti-drain back valve.

If the tick didn't go away until it warmed up, it doesn't sound like it would be the filter causing it.

If you have an extra 3/4" of height to fit the filter, consider a Motorcraft FL-400S. Otherwise identical in spec to that 3614. I have read on Jeep forums it is a popular filter to use on them.

It will be a little cheaper than the Fram most likely, and offer high grade media and a silicone ADBV to guard against leakage and start-up starvation. It is popular to curb this among owners of vehicles prone to it. And it's widely available and surprisingly cheap for the quality. A lot of Toyota and Lexus owners run it, too (I do).

I'm even thinking of altering the filter stud in my Acura so I can get away from the more limited M20x1.5 filter options and use the FL-400S.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Amsoil filter that caused the tick probably had a leaky anti-drain back valve.

If that were the case, the ticking should go away in a few seconds after start up. If it ticks longer, there are other issues.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

If that were the case, the ticking should go away in a few seconds after start up. If it ticks longer, there are other issues.

Unless that motor suffers from hydraulic lifters bleeding down if the oil galleries drain out from a leaky ADBV.

He said switching just the oil filter fixed the issue, so I would have to think it's related to the oil filter.

By all that is good about the parts swapping method of diagnosis. proves to me that the Amsoil parts are NG. Twice is extra confirmation

I dont know what it is, but my Jeep prefers Fram too. Extra Guard and TG's both. I have yet to try the Ultra, but with their similar designs, I cant see there being any change.

Forum opinions say Frams have tiny inlet holes, that's the answer. The oil cannot bleed down. Actually to be contrarian, I bet the problem is not filter related. The swap and show method is not so accurate. If the ticking stayed until warmed up, something else is going on it seems. It could be sticking lifters and lifters that decided to unstick. That does happen. Maybe the drain intervals are too long?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Forum opinions say Frams have tiny inlet holes, that's the answer. The oil cannot bleed down. Actually to be contrarian, I bet the problem is not filter related. The swap and show method is not so accurate. If the ticking stayed until warmed up, something else is going on it seems. It could be sticking lifters and lifters that decided to unstick. That does happen. Maybe the drain intervals are too long?

Drain intervals with the tick were 6k and 5k.

Tick is leaky ADBV, media restriction, or defective BPV.

Buy another new Amsoil filter, if tick returns, never buy that Amsoil PN for your vehicle again.

I changed wife's MB religiously at 5k intervals with M1 0w-40, and it had lots of valve train ticking using MB filters made by Mann in Germany. It got worse with different driving and weather. Sometimes it didn't tick at all for long periods, then started ticking again. Lifters can stick is my point. I never blamed the filter. Filters are not so complicated, unless they are plugged oil goes through, if plugged it should bypass. A name brand oil filter isn't going to cause continual lifter ticking. You're using a top shelf synthetic media filter. The other thing is Amsoil guarantees their products, tell them about it so they can find out if it is a defect in the filter. What that defect could be is hard to figure out. You can get them going by saying a Fram Extra Guard is OK, the Amsoil filter is not.

Kuato - did you ever cut open those Amsoil filters just to see if anything looked wrong inside?

Kuato - did you ever cut open those Amsoil filters just to see if anything looked wrong inside?

Not yet, the 2nd one is drained and in the oil pan...perhaps it is ready.

^^^ Let us know if you find anything strange going on inside.

Doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Doesn't make any sense.

-Fram inlet hole part is sarcastic as people have continued to say Frams have small inlet holes and don't flow well.
-Lifters stick, maybe dirt, maybe varnish or something like that
-the ticking was said to stay until warmed up as I read it, not a quick startup rattle.
-Amsoil user may have been way extending intervals, but in fact he was not.

Pretty good that a Fram extra guard is proven superior to two Amsoil top price filters. Let's go with that one, fine by me. The chance two Amsoil filters have some kind of defect that inhibits oil flow is zero I would say, but let's still go with it. No chance it is engine related, none.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Doesn't make any sense.

-Fram inlet hole part is sarcastic as people have continued to say Frams have small inlet holes and don't flow well.
-Lifters stick, maybe dirt, maybe varnish or something like that
-the ticking was said to stay until warmed up as I read it, not a quick startup rattle.
-Amsoil user may have been way extending intervals, but in fact he was not.

Pretty good that a Fram extra guard is proven superior to two Amsoil top price filters. Let's go with that one, fine by me. The chance two Amsoil filters have some kind of defect that inhibits oil flow is zero I would say, but let's still go with it. No chance it is engine related, none.

My apologies. The sarcasm was completely lost on me. It's my first day.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back